PDA

View Full Version : Disk stuck in drive...

Liquinn
Dec 1, 2012, 08:42 AM
My Powermac G5 has a DVD stuck in the drive, pressing the eject key on my Apple keyboard doesn't work and disk utility freezes... thoughts? :/

havokalien
Dec 1, 2012, 09:33 AM
Restart holding the mouse button. If it doesn't open on boot either the door is stuck or the drive is toast.

Good luck.

Liquinn
Dec 1, 2012, 09:39 AM
Restart holding the mouse button. If it doesn't open on boot either the door is stuck or the drive is toast.

Good luck.
What mouse button do you mean?

Thanks.

justperry
Dec 1, 2012, 09:47 AM
What mouse button do you mean?

Thanks.

Spacebar should also work when starting up, I hope.:)
(Holding it while pressing the on button)

Liquinn
Dec 1, 2012, 10:00 AM
Spacebar should also work when starting up, I hope.:)
(Holding it while pressing the on button)
Nothing happens.. strange.

eyoungren
Dec 1, 2012, 10:00 AM
If all else fails, shut down. Push in a little on the G5 drive door and pull down. It will slide down and you can see the drive. The drive inside is just like any other DVD drive on the market in one important sense. It will have the eject hole in the front. Locate that, pull out a paper clip and bend it so you have one straight end. Insert into the hole and push until the tray comes out. Take out your disk, push the tray back in and restart.

crewkid89
Dec 1, 2012, 10:01 AM
terminal:

drutil eject

I am doing this from memory this may not be correct but booting while holding the spacebar or the mouse button down will work

Liquinn
Dec 1, 2012, 10:04 AM
Finder isn't responding... Hmmmmm.... this is weird. :o

justperry
Dec 1, 2012, 10:04 AM
terminal:

drutil eject

I am doing this from memory this may not be correct but booting while holding the spacebar or the mouse button down will work

Wow, I learned something new today, even if there is no disc inside it works.

Liquinn
Dec 1, 2012, 10:09 AM
The command isn't opening my drive. Wtf. :(

Something isn't right here. :o

justperry
Dec 1, 2012, 10:24 AM
The command isn't opening my drive. Wtf. :(

Something isn't right here. :o

I think the command will not work when the finder is busy with the disk, what about quitting the finder and then try again in Terminal.

Or, but someone can correct me if I am wrong use sudo before the command and enter your password when it asks you to do so.

sudo drutil eject
enter password

Liquinn
Dec 1, 2012, 10:27 AM
I think the command will not work when the finder is busy with the disk, what about quitting the finder and then try again in Terminal.

Or, but someone can correct me if I am wrong use sudo before the command and enter your password when it asks you to do so.

sudo drutil eject
enter password
Doesn't work. Thanks for the help though.

justperry
Dec 1, 2012, 10:41 AM
Doesn't work. Thanks for the help though.

Are you sure there is a disc inside and not that some kids stuck something inside?

But, then it seems the only way out is to get the disk drive out and do it manually.
Maybe but I am not aware of you can do eject it manually from the outside with a paperclip.

Liquinn
Dec 1, 2012, 10:43 AM
Are you sure there is a disc inside and not that some kids stuck something inside?

But, then it seems the only way out is to get the disk drive out and do it manually.
Maybe but I am not aware of you can do eject it manually from the outside with a paperclip.
I'm sure there's a disk inside it. :P

Why is my disk utility stuck on "Gathering disk information"? :(

eyoungren
Dec 1, 2012, 10:46 AM
Just shut down and pull the drive door down, insert a paper clip into the eject hole and get the disk out.

Disk Utility is stuck on Gathering Information because it can't read the disk.