Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imjoee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
Ill do a ton of photo editing and video downloads and edits. School work such as iWork, Lightroom and other apps. Should I wait for the update for the air in 2013 summer or get the new iMac 21.5in with 16gb ram? I don't want to spend anything over 1500$. I also want my computer to last 5+ years, which one should I choose? I take a ton of photos and edit them. About a 1000 a week

FoxFifth

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
Since you mentioned the Air and the iMac, I would think that the very first thing you would want to do is decide whether you need/want portability. Deciding between a desktop and a laptop is something that somebody else probably can't much help you with since that depends almost completely on your needs and wants.

imjoee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
Since you mentioned the Air and the iMac, I would think that the very first thing you would want to do is decide whether you need/want portability. Deciding between a desktop and a laptop is something that somebody else probably can't much help you with since that depends almost completely on your needs and wants.

I would like to have it portable, but I won't be taking it out of the house, maybe like once a year. Other than that, I just want it to last long. If I do go with the iMac what specs am I looking at to last 5+ years?

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
I have a 2012 11" MBA which is great, but I also recently got a Mac Mini and an iPad Mini. In the house and out and about, I typically grab my iPad Mini and am trying to see if using the desktop-only Mac Mini will suffice.

My Mac Mini is slightly more powerful than the MacBook Air, but with the MBA it is nice to know that there is a fully portable computer option available if I need it for tasks that the iPad can't do. I almost never take the MBA out of my house (maybe twice over the past year?). I'll hopefully decide over the next week if I can "get by" with the iPad/Mac Mini combo. The Mac Mini is a great bang for the buck option for a computer.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I would like to have it portable, but I won't be taking it out of the house, maybe like once a year.

Portable = means you move it a lot, no only out of the house but moving the machine constantly between rooms in the house. Assuming no.

If u can get an iMac for under your budget, go for it.

U can make any machine go longer by NOT automatically updating the software as they come out. Newer software tend to want more horse power from your machine, is a vicious cycle. Am still using Photoshop 6.0 from 10 years ago on my super-obsolete laptop and it's fine. I bet the new Photoshop has a few new features that I don't need.

imjoee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
I would definitely love to move the machine around the house but if it means more bang for ya buck ill go for the iMac. Should I get the 16GB ram?

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I would definitely love to move the machine around the house but if it means more bang for ya buck ill go for the iMac. Should I get the 16GB ram?

You are in Mac country. Bang-4r-Buck means PC.

With MBA, u get what u get, it's not upgradable, you must buy what you think you need up front and that's it.

At least with an iMac, it's somewhat upgradable down the road.

I am not pushing you toward iMac, just giving out the facts. Your wallet.

mankar4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2007
USA
I would get a retina MBP, with your photo/video plans, it will make a big difference.

limesmoothie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland

If you're going to go with the Mini, 16GB is a great, inexpensive upgrade if you do it yourself. Mine is running sweetly with an i5 and 16GB and I've been throwing much more at it than normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.