Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Is anyone aware of a utility to tame menu bar icons? I realize I can turn them on and off, or remove them entirely, but they are quite useful. And it seems every application I install puts something up there. It's getting bigger than my Dock. Probably says something about the Finder....

Anyway, I'd like something that could make a second row, or rollovers, or a removable bar that could float above other windows like tool palettes in some applications, or whatever.

Rob

El Awesome

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2012
Zurich
You mean the thing on top of the screen?
I have a 24" inch screen and I have so much stuff in there that it almost reaches the middle of the screen.

You can't make a second row or something similar, because the root graphics are not made for this. There isn't any utility that does this, because it's nearly impossible. I would stop searching for something like this.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
That's a shame, but thanks.

Dunno why they don't just put the same menu choices in their Dock item, accessible via control-click. Some applications do, and there are more ways to customize the Dock (size, position, etc). Menu items in the Dock, in combo with DockView, would solve my problem.

Sigh.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon

YES! A very good solution to the problem. It was tossed into the latest Macheist offering at the end, and frankly it is the most used application in that package!
Worth the small purchase price if bought separately.

Attachments

• Skitch.jpg
    Skitch.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 75

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Is anyone aware of a utility to tame menu bar icons? I realize I can turn them on and off, or remove them entirely, but they are quite useful. And it seems every application I install puts something up there. It's getting bigger than my Dock. Probably says something about the Finder....

Anyway, I'd like something that could make a second row, or rollovers, or a removable bar that could float above other windows like tool palettes in some applications, or whatever.

Rob

Sigh. Almost every new Mac developer thinks that is the system tray of Windows, when it is not, and so they try to add whatever app they come up with to there. It's sad, really.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Sigh. Almost every new Mac developer thinks that is the system tray of Windows, when it is not, and so they try to add whatever app they come up with to there. It's sad, really.

I don't mind as long as said developers give me an option to keep it out of the menubar. Sometimes having the app "up there" just makes sense though. Especially if it provides visual feedback. (Like the Time Machine icon).

Bartender is great... even if you only use it to hide the useless notification icon we trackpad users don't need to touch. (And the spotlight icon as well).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.