PDA

View Full Version : Buy iBook or Physical Copy?

TJ5921
Dec 1, 2012, 01:45 PM
I'm looking to purchase the Walking Dead Compendium 1. This is the first collection of the original comics compiled into a large book. It's available on iTunes for $39.99 and on Amazon as a $33.99 hard copy. I'm getting an iPad Mini for Christmas and currently have an iPhone 5. I have never experienced reading any sort of books or comics on it. Would I be better served just getting the hard copy or is reading on iDevices something worth paying a little extra for? Thanks.

davideotape
Dec 1, 2012, 01:54 PM
when it comes to digital books i try to use kindle or comixology for comics. books because i have a kindle and I prefer the e-reader format, but the greater reason being: if apple every starts to mess stuff up, there are kindle apps for android and of course, the kindle, and web apps as well. the same with comixology. and reading from the kindle app on the ipad is really nice.

from apple i'll buy apps, music (because it's DRM free), and movies (because DRM there is unavoidable and i have a lot of iOS devices and an ATV for both TVs).

but if you're asking in general: physical media or online media, i dunno man. if it's something you want to keep as an artifact/souvenir because it's so beautiful or important to you then definitely get the physical book. if you just want to enjoy the story and revisit it every once in awhile digital content's awesome.

Night Spring
Dec 1, 2012, 01:57 PM
I enjoy reading comics on the mini, so for myself, I'd say it is surely worth it. But I wouldn't jump and spend nearly $40 on something without testing it out first. When you get your mini, download a free sample (all books have free samples), and make sure the reading experience on the mini works for YOU.

MacIke
Dec 1, 2012, 02:06 PM
What is this Physical Copy you talk about. My iPad is my physical copy.

As far as comic books go . . . that might be a good dead tree version to have.

peeaanuut
Dec 1, 2012, 02:08 PM
i look at that particular piece as something that might be better in hard copy. I still buy hard copies of some books but most are digital now. It just depends on how much I am into the book

TJ5921
Dec 1, 2012, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the tips I'm starting to think this is something I will want to have as a hard copy. Seems like it'd be this way for most graphic novels as well? Looking into some of the Batman ones and they seem like they'd be much better to have in hand. I guess I was hoping someone would be able to convince me to start investing in an iBooks collection instead.

peeaanuut
Dec 1, 2012, 04:22 PM
there really is no investment ability in iBooks. You cant resell them. So really its for your pleasure of reading and rereading books. That is what I find the most valuable part about ebooks, I can reread them without the books falling apart.

Spink10
Dec 1, 2012, 04:33 PM
I love hard copies. Still cant get use to digital books.

davideotape
Dec 1, 2012, 04:44 PM
there really is no investment ability in iBooks. You cant resell them. So really its for your pleasure of reading and rereading books. That is what I find the most valuable part about ebooks, I can reread them without the books falling apart.

This. and sometimes (not always) they're cheaper and will follow you to whatever new device you have: ideally in the year 2025 and longer.

But really I'd steer clear of iBooks, it's a rather limited option unless you want to strip DRM, and I think that's not legal.

Comixology is the way to go for comics in my opinion.

Frankied22
Dec 1, 2012, 04:50 PM
I have to say this is something I constantly go back and forth on all the time. For music I'm all digital and apart from certain films I really want in blu ray I buy digital just because its easy and simple. But for books idk, I can't make up my mind if I want to keep around hard copies, or just buy digital.

Night Spring
Dec 1, 2012, 05:03 PM

Also, you can carry your entire collection with you at all times.

As for DRM, I do strip my ebooks of DRM whenever possible. Currently, I buy my ebooks from Amazon, because the de-DRM program I have for Kindle books is more reliable and easier to use than the one I have for iBooks. I then convert them to epub, and load them into iBooks app to read. I like the iBooks font selection, and also, iBooks will sync your last position across devices even for books you sideload onto it. As far as I know, Kindle only syncs posiiton for books you buy from Amazon.

peeaanuut
Dec 1, 2012, 05:04 PM
i also like comixology for comics. I have gotten some comics from *ahem*other avenues*/ahem* in pdf form and I still prefer what I buy through comixology.

Snarl
Dec 1, 2012, 05:06 PM
Comixology is a great App, one of my favourites. I love to have accress to my comics on all my devices.

peeaanuut
Dec 1, 2012, 05:06 PM
Also, you can carry your entire collection with you at all times.

As for DRM, I do strip my ebooks of DRM whenever possible. Currently, I buy my ebooks from Amazon, because the de-DRM program I have for Kindle books is more reliable and easier to use than the one I have for iBooks. I then convert them to epub, and load them into iBooks app to read. I like the iBooks font selection, and also, iBooks will sync your last position across devices even for books you sideload onto it. As far as I know, Kindle only syncs posiiton for books you buy from Amazon.

I mostly buy through my Nook but have gotten a few through iBooks. I dont exactly strip my copies but I find them in epub for otherwise so taht I still pay for em but now they are more portable. And at this rate, I will never fill up my nook since the books are so small. Now comic PDFs, yeah, thats a different story.

davideotape
Dec 1, 2012, 05:11 PM
Also, you can carry your entire collection with iBooks will sync your last position across devices even for books you sideload onto it. As far as I know, Kindle only syncs posiiton for books you buy from Amazon.

This is a great tip. Yeah Kindle only does that for amazon-bought Ebooks.

wrkactjob
Dec 1, 2012, 05:24 PM
The digital age robs you of the joy of tactility.

Putting on a record or Cd, showing photos and albums, holding a book and appreciating it especially if it has a bias on art work.

For me, re books, if its a particular favorite, especially if it has graphical art content I want the real thing not a photo of it.

But then if your a real fan you may collect every medium, I know I enjoy my Pink Floyd MP3's but love my CD's and albums too!

ChristianJapan
Dec 1, 2012, 05:35 PM
I switched complete as possible to digital content; specially for books I can use only for some years because they outdate fast.
I focus on Kindle as its device agnostic and can use on iDevice. Mac and in a worst case also on Windows. Plus the selection is better.

The only downside is you can't easily lent or sale. Though Kindle allow that, too. Never tried from my side.

peeaanuut
Dec 1, 2012, 05:58 PM
The digital age robs you of the joy of tactility.

Putting on a record or Cd, showing photos and albums, holding a book and appreciating it especially if it has a bias on art work.

For me, re books, if its a particular favorite, especially if it has graphical art content I want the real thing not a photo of it.

But then if your a real fan you may collect every medium, I know I enjoy my Pink Floyd MP3's but love my CD's and albums too!

I fall in the middle of that. For books I read quite a bit but some of it is just for the time of reading and some is because I thoroughly enjoy the book. Some books I know I want hardcopy right away and some I know I will read once and then toss. For the toss books, I get the digital. For the ones I know I want I get hardcopy and digital and for the ones on the fence, I buy the digital first and then move on to the hardcopy for a more solid reread.

TJ5921
Dec 1, 2012, 06:55 PM
So what would you guys recommend for this book in particular?
This is what it looks like:
http://i838.photobucket.com/albums/zz304/tj5921/4500e03ae7a0f922f9fa1210L.jpg

I'm thinking it'll be nice to have that since it's a black and white comic. However I still want to be able to read this on my iPad Mini, iPhone 5, and Macbook Pro. They should include a digital copy with paperbacks.

ChristianJapan
Dec 1, 2012, 07:00 PM
Image (http://i838.photobucket.com/albums/zz304/tj5921/4500e03ae7a0f922f9fa1210L.jpg)

I'm thinking it'll be nice to have that since it's a black and white comic. However I still want to be able to read this on my iPad Mini, iPhone 5, and Macbook Pro. They should include a digital copy with paperbacks.

For THIS particular: digital ... No need to waste paper for it ... In two years you don't read it anymore and not sure if it would ever be a collectable.

Night Spring
Dec 1, 2012, 07:05 PM
Image (http://i838.photobucket.com/albums/zz304/tj5921/4500e03ae7a0f922f9fa1210L.jpg)

Oh dear. That looks like it weighs as much as 5-6 minis!

I do agree it would be nice if publishers offered bundles of digital + printed copy. For a book I really wanted, I'd be willing to pay a little extra to get a digital copy -- like for a $20 book, I might be willing to pay $25 for a +digital bundle. I really hate paying $20 for a hard copy and another $20 for a digital copy, that really feels like I'm being ripped off.

smooth
Dec 1, 2012, 07:55 PM
I bought an iPad specifically for my books and photos to be digital and I am very happy I did. I've finished 4 very long books so far. I am not much of a comics fan, but I do love The Walking Dead so I bought the first couple volumes in iBooks and thought it read very well, though it is in black and white - not sure if the printed comics are in color or not.

I did recently pick up a trivia book (about the size of a paperback bible) and I really wish there was a digital version. I've come to prefer reading on the iPad now. Seeing the picture of The Walking Dead Compendium, I'd have to say definitely digital for that one!

Awakener
Dec 1, 2012, 08:10 PM
Mini is too small for comics. Also for color comics the colors don't pop.

Scarpad
Dec 1, 2012, 08:19 PM
I'm enjoying reading comics on the mini I think its the perfect size , My 7" Nexus is too small, the Larger Ipad too big and heavy, 7.9 inch is perfect.

DelMac
Dec 1, 2012, 08:32 PM
I still and only buy used cds for my iTunes because I like having the physical copies of old cds in storage. But for books I'd do iBooks since actual books wear out, weigh as much or more than a Mini, and they take up more room usually.

As far as The Walking Dead goes, I would no doubt DEFINITELY BUY it on iBooks because I can only imagine how nice the colored pictures look on a lit screen as opposed to on paper.

zhenya
Dec 1, 2012, 08:40 PM
Despite being someone who travels a lot and benefits from the consolidation and weight savings of digital books, I just can't get into them. They are just too limiting - you can't lend them, give them away, and you are at the mercy of the owners as to how long you'll retain access. I'm in the camp where I'd pay a little extra for a physical/ebook combo, but I'm not generally buying both, and I'll default to the physical version for anything that's not disposable.

thelookingglass
Dec 1, 2012, 08:41 PM
For books, I typically buy the digital version unless it's a book I think is worth having around on my bookshelf to lend to others. But I'd say over 95% of my book purchases are digital.

TJ5921
Dec 1, 2012, 08:43 PM
I still and only buy used cds for my iTunes because I like having the physical copies of old cds in storage. But for books I'd do iBooks since actual books wear out, weigh as much or more than a Mini, and they take up more room usually.

As far as The Walking Dead goes, I would no doubt DEFINITELY BUY it on iBooks because I can only imagine how nice the colored pictures look on a lit screen as opposed to on paper.

It's in black and white on both the paperback and iBook versions...

DelMac
Dec 1, 2012, 09:02 PM
It's in black and white on both the paperback and iBook versions...

Really? My bad, lol. In that case I guess I'd do the paperback to have the physical copy instead. A better conversation piece. It does look cool. Hell, I think I might purchase it now:)

TJ5921
Dec 1, 2012, 09:07 PM
Responses seem split so I made it a poll. Curious to see what the majority of users would prefer for a book this size in black and white.

Medic311
Dec 1, 2012, 09:16 PM
i use something called a library where i get to read a book using my tax dollars. i take it most here aren't even aware that your local library carries new releases and you can reserve a copy pre-release to ensure you get it first. many libraries even have a special service when you are guaranteed a copy of a new release for $1.50 to use for up to 4 weeks. i did that for Bob Woodward's latest book - "Price of Politics".

paying for an ebook that cannot be resold, has strict lending restrictions, or lacks any tangible value outside of your digital account seems ridiculous. this is even coming from someone who flies over 35,000 EQM's a year for my job and utilizes the standard 22x14x9 carry-on and a business briefcase. i have always managed to find room for a hardcover book, especially when it's free.

going back to the inability to give your digital copy - this restriction should be illegal. i understand that even with a physical copy of a media (take your operating system for example) you don't actually own the operating system. you own the right to use that particular copy of the software. however you are allowed to sell that right to use it, to someone else. how amazon and the rest of them are able to do this and not receive substantial criticism from consumers is baffling. i guess we are too mesmerized by the device, whether it's a Kindle or an iPad, to truly understand how badly we are getting screwed over.

save your money people, and use your local library. you're already paying for it - why double pay?

kurzz
Dec 1, 2012, 09:22 PM
I try to live a more digital life these days. Less dead trees, waste, more space...I vote for ebook.

Knowimagination
Dec 1, 2012, 09:34 PM
Oh dear. That looks like it weighs as much as 5-6 minis!

I do agree it would be nice if publishers offered bundles of digital + printed copy. For a book I really wanted, I'd be willing to pay a little extra to get a digital copy -- like for a $20 book, I might be willing to pay $25 for a +digital bundle. I really hate paying $20 for a hard copy and another $20 for a digital copy, that really feels like I'm being ripped off.

I have been saying this ever since iBooks were available. For some reason it is hard for me to bring myself to buy a lot of ebooks because I like having the physical books. Oddly enough however I prefer reading on my ipad :D

imlovinit
Dec 1, 2012, 10:27 PM
Depends on the book and how impatient i am to get to read it. Overall, while I do enjoy having reading material all in one place for easy access and easy reading..cost alone, I find myself more often than not just buying a physical paper books.

MacIke
Dec 1, 2012, 11:57 PM
For this spcific book, I am leaning towards the kindle version of the book. The reason is the binding does not look like it will hold for a couple of readings.

caoimhe
Dec 2, 2012, 04:28 AM
I've been reading ebooks since the old Palm Pilot days, so they're my preferred option in nearly all cases. The only time I buy physical books now is to have something to read during takeoff approach and landing (and I usually leave them behind somewhere along the way).

The downside is that I have books in several different apps so it can be annoying to search out where a particular book is, and of course the limited number of ebooks that can be "loaned" should be addressed. I like the idea of physical + digital copy, much like a lot of DVDs these days.

zhenya
Dec 2, 2012, 04:56 AM
i use something called a library where i get to read a book using my tax dollars. i take it most here aren't even aware that your local library carries new releases and you can reserve a copy pre-release to ensure you get it first. many libraries even have a special service when you are guaranteed a copy of a new release for $1.50 to use for up to 4 weeks. i did that for Bob Woodward's latest book - "Price of Politics".

paying for an ebook that cannot be resold, has strict lending restrictions, or lacks any tangible value outside of your digital account seems ridiculous. this is even coming from someone who flies over 35,000 EQM's a year for my job and utilizes the standard 22x14x9 carry-on and a business briefcase. i have always managed to find room for a hardcover book, especially when it's free.

going back to the inability to give your digital copy - this restriction should be illegal. i understand that even with a physical copy of a media (take your operating system for example) you don't actually own the operating system. you own the right to use that particular copy of the software. however you are allowed to sell that right to use it, to someone else. how amazon and the rest of them are able to do this and not receive substantial criticism from consumers is baffling. i guess we are too mesmerized by the device, whether it's a Kindle or an iPad, to truly understand how badly we are getting screwed over.

save your money people, and use your local library. you're already paying for it - why double pay?

Surprisingly, your local library may also have ebooks!

caoimhe
Dec 2, 2012, 04:58 AM

It's a good point - especially with some library systems lending ebooks! I have the Overdrive app on my iPad mini and recently "borrowed" the Harry Potter books to re-read instead of searching the boxes of books in my attic. In general our library system doesn't have much that I'm interested in reading - but if I ever manage to emigrate I hope I live somewhere with a decent (English language) ebook selection!

pommie82
Dec 2, 2012, 05:09 AM
i just buy my books on ibooks a lot better no need to have space to put books on shelf if you need to read a book then out comes the iPad then you have them all in one place

(none of oh i forget that book i wanted to read)

one thing a really like about the ibooks you don't have to worry about your book getting damaged it going to be in the condition that you bought it and no pages missing etc.

maflynn
Dec 2, 2012, 05:59 AM
The major reason I bought the iPad was for reading, so I'll be getting ibooks when ever possible.

caligurl
Dec 2, 2012, 07:12 AM
i'm another that uses the library.... i'm not the type that wants or needs to have a wall (or walls) of books in my home.... nomally i read something once and never again (there are a very few exceptions....)

i also don't like that you can't give away, lend, or sell your digital copies....

while i love the idea of going digital.... i'll stick with the library...

so i don't really have an answer for you, as it's more a personal choice...

TJ5921
Dec 2, 2012, 08:07 AM
So for those of you who chose the digital version, would it be in my best interest to buy through the iTunes bookstore or the kindle app? I'm assuming it'd be more beneficial to get it off iTunes since I have a MBP, iPad Mini, and iPhone 5.

FrenzyBanana
Dec 2, 2012, 08:14 AM
it depends. some of the books in ibooks store has a bad ebook formatting.
not enjoyable and not worth the overpriced.

zhenya
Dec 2, 2012, 08:15 AM
So for those of you who chose the digital version, would it be in my best interest to buy through the iTunes bookstore or the kindle app? I'm assuming it'd be more beneficial to get it off iTunes since I have a MBP, iPad Mini, and iPhone 5.

It also depends on how much you want to tie yourself to Apple. At least the Kindle books are available across most platforms.

maflynn
Dec 2, 2012, 08:18 AM

Kindle has an advantage of running on multiple platforms, i.e., computers, tablets and phones. If you decide to get an android phone then you'll have access to your books.

With that said I buy many of my books from iBooks because I like the user experience better. I still buy a fair amount of books by way of kindle however, its just that it takes more work to buy it on an iPad, i.e., cannot use the app to purchase the book

Kashsystems
Dec 2, 2012, 09:15 AM
As a person who once owned 100s of pounds of books, who hated having to pay for storage space for those books or having to move those books around to a new location, I am grateful for digital books. I will always buy digital copies and never look back.

davideotape
Dec 2, 2012, 09:30 AM
Kindle has an advantage of running on multiple platforms, i.e., computers, tablets and phones. If you decide to get an android phone then you'll have access to your books.

With that said I buy many of my books from iBooks because I like the user experience better. I still buy a fair amount of books by way of kindle however, its just that it takes more work to buy it on an iPad, i.e., cannot use the app to purchase the book

I'm in the kindle camp as well. You can read a kindle book on hundreds of different types of devices, including all iOS and Mac platforms. Long term, like 10-15 years down the road, you might want a kindle e-reader, or a nexus 25 or something, or an android or windows phone (it could happen) and everything you bought for iBooks would be lost without a lot of extra work stripping the DRM of those books.

Also, it takes maybe 3 more clicks to buy a kindle book directly from your ipad. You just have to go to amazon.com from your ipad browser instead of directly into the kindle app

jojoba
Dec 2, 2012, 12:57 PM
I do all my recreational reading on my iPad or e-readers. I love that they take no space and that I carry my entire library with me. I miss being able to pass the books along to friends, though. For work I need proper page numbers, so there I'm still working with hard copies.

GrandPhrase
Dec 2, 2012, 12:59 PM
As a suggestion, I think you should add "Both" to the poll. Some people like to purchase both. Now this is not personally me, but just for those who do.

Medic311
Dec 2, 2012, 01:47 PM
Surprisingly, your local library may also have ebooks!

It's a good point - especially with some library systems lending ebooks! I have the Overdrive app on my iPad mini and recently "borrowed" the Harry Potter books to re-read instead of searching the boxes of books in my attic. In general our library system doesn't have much that I'm interested in reading - but if I ever manage to emigrate I hope I live somewhere with a decent (English language) ebook selection!

they do, but unfortunately not with new releases

Jessica Lares
Dec 2, 2012, 02:05 PM
I have a Kindle and an iPad, and sometimes even read on my phone. It is thrilling not getting the 50-something paper cuts I usually do when reading a physical book. :o I couldn't even borrow books because of that, or really even enjoy them because I just KNEW it was going to happen a minute later.

I could never go back, especially when there are so many more benefits to digital copies.

And the thing is that books don't really last that long unless you take really good care of them. I used to borrow people's comic strip books, and because they had been sitting on a shelf for like a decade already, I would open it up, flip a few pages, and then one would fall out because the glue has started to degrade. My own copies are starting to do the same thing too now. Go to the library, and pretty much their copies are doing the same thing too, except those are hardback versions.

Especially when the OP is looking to buy a collection of comics, I'd say digital all the way. And yeah, Comixology is really great. The panel isolation, zooming is great.

peeaanuut
Dec 2, 2012, 02:17 PM
not sure what sort of libraries you guys have but we have some of the worst libraries around here. I am pretty certain the tax dollars are being diverted somewhere else.

stevo8
Dec 3, 2012, 09:06 AM
only skimmed through the thread, so sorry if it has bean mentioned, but to the op, Im pretty sure the ibook store will let you preview the first 30-50 pages for free. That should be enough to let you decide or not.

Mack812
Dec 15, 2013, 12:16 AM
I prefer ebooks simply because of the fact that my studio apartment in Waikiki is too small to hold a ton of books. I also like the fact that I can read in bed with my iPad without a need for a lamp.

ScottNWDW
Dec 15, 2013, 08:51 AM
Since getting an iPad, Kindle and iPad mini, I prefer to use the digital format for my reading. I have the Kindle app on my Mac, both the iPad and mini, as well as my iPhone and along with a Kindle Touch I have all devices covered. I also like iBooks now that it is on the Mac, iPads and iPhone.

If a book is available in a digital format then I would prefer to purchase it that way. Don't need the clutter of books laying about.

old-wiz
Dec 15, 2013, 10:03 AM
Paperbacks have two big drawbacks - the print is too small and they are printed on cheap paper. I have some 5-10 year old paperbacks where the paper is turning brown.

Hardbacks last longer.

That being said, I buy via the Kindle App so that I can control the size of the type and I can carry around a LOT more books on the iPad than in hardback or paperback.

Badrottie
Dec 16, 2013, 08:58 PM
I enjoy reading digital magazine on my iPad and it is cheap. :apple:

Macalway
Dec 16, 2013, 11:01 PM
Owning physical books depends on the smart/rich ratio.

If your dumb and poor, having a book around for a few months isn't anything. If your smart and rich you can collect a nice library.

The problem starts when your smart and poor, as a little hovel could get severly cluttered. :o

Get a Kindle :)

Han Solo 1
Dec 17, 2013, 02:51 PM
I prefer ebooks simply because of the fact that my studio apartment in Waikiki is too small to hold a ton of books. I also like the fact that I can read in bed with my iPad without a need for a lamp.

Yes, and in my French Riviera flat, overlooking the port of Miramar, I haven't the space for a plethora of books as well.

:rolleyes:

rhett7660
Dec 17, 2013, 02:54 PM
How about both? Both me and the wife use both to consume our books/comic books/graphic novels/magazines....