PDA

View Full Version : Video questions

Roger1
Nov 29, 2002, 12:39 PM
Hey all
I have a question about doing video on a computer. A buddy of mine is interested in playing a video game (not sure which) and he wants to record the game to a digital video camera. If someone can offer some advice on how to do this, or direct me to a forum where this was discussed already (I didn't see one) I would appreciate it. I believe the machine we will be using is either a G3 or G4 PowerMac. We are thinking of running the video to a DV movie camera via firewire.
BTW: If this is in the wrong forum, sorry!

Swinny
Nov 29, 2002, 01:26 PM
I would suggest 2 possible ways...

Film the screen with the camcorder...this will need you to sort the lights out really well (basically, as dark as possible but for the screen), keep the camera steady and alot of fiddling to get a perfect shot will be required, and even then its likely to still look a little washed out...you'll also need to be able to synch the monitor and cam so as not to record any banding from the screen...not perfect, and tricky, but easiest quick-fix solution.

Second requires more than just standard equipment, but should produce near perfect results...If you have a computer with a TV-out on the graphics board, and a DV-cam with an analog-in port (many modern ones do, used for converting old footage to DV)...it would seem theoretically possible to plug these together and record the game footage directly to DV tape...though i've never used one of these camcorders, so not exactly sure how the process works.

...of course...easiest by far would be playing a game that allows you to save to a movie file that you can then simply convert into an iMovie/FCP compatible format.

Hope that offers some ideas,

---------------------------------------------
Swinny
Webmaster // www.iMovie-user.com

Roger1
Nov 29, 2002, 01:32 PM
...of course...easiest by far would be playing a game that allows you to save to a movie file that you can then simply convert into an iMovie/FCP compatible format.

What games can I do this with? That might be our solution.

Swinny
Nov 30, 2002, 06:50 AM
Ummm...to be honest, I'm not entirely sure...more of me thinking its a good idea and "should be possible" rather than actually knowing it is...

---------------------------------------------
Swinny
Webmaster // www.iMovie-user.com

AssassinOfGates
Nov 30, 2002, 09:56 AM
I know that with RtCW and Quake 3, you can record demos, but I'm not sure what format they are, i'll look into it later when I'm back home. Another option is if you use a powerbook or a graphics card w/ s-video out (mirrored), use a s-video to composite (RCA) and plug that into the camera, along with the audio cables. Vola!