PDA

View Full Version : PB Fans acting wierd... suggestions please?

agentphish
Sep 18, 2005, 08:13 PM
Hello all.

I was wondering if there is a way to tell what the reason is that suddenly my fan in my Powerbook run on end forever. Its not even as if i'm doing anything on it and it will just come on and run for a very very long time. So long that i can see a direct effect on my battery life. Just as I am sitting here typing this it has come on, and nothing else is goin on other than me typing. They didnt used to do this... I'm wondering if its got to do w/ iTunes 5 because i've only noticed it since I upgraded to that.

Any suggestions.

Thanks.

mad jew
Sep 18, 2005, 08:44 PM
Is it well ventilated? It dissipates heat through the bottom from memory so it's pretty important that you leave it on a flat surface (not a pillow or something). :)

agentphish
Sep 18, 2005, 09:48 PM
Is it well ventilated? It dissipates heat through the bottom from memory so it's pretty important that you leave it on a flat surface (not a pillow or something). :)

yeah its sitting on my coffee table. or when im in my room i always have it on a hardback book so that it can breath from underneath. Still no ideas?

mad jew
Sep 18, 2005, 10:04 PM
What exactly are you doing on it? If it involves a lot of CPU, GPU or hard drive writing then it'll heat up the PowerBook quite a bit. Is the fan coming on, even when the PowerBook seems cold or is the fan justified?

G5Unit
Sep 18, 2005, 10:04 PM
Maybe there is something jamed in there which is making the PB crazy!

agentphish
Sep 19, 2005, 09:15 AM
So I did seem to figure out the problem. It was my font management suite, Extensis Suitcase somehow eating 85% CPU all day long for several days on end since i never shut this PB down.

The question is WHY did/is it doing it. Any suggestions on what i could try to make it stop... I've been running it on here for over a year w/o any issues and i havent even been using it lately. So any suggestions?

alexprice
Sep 19, 2005, 12:46 PM
So I did seem to figure out the problem. It was my font management suite, Extensis Suitcase somehow eating 85% CPU all day long for several days on end since i never shut this PB down.

The question is WHY did/is it doing it. Any suggestions on what i could try to make it stop... I've been running it on here for over a year w/o any issues and i havent even been using it lately. So any suggestions?

Re-install it,
Try in a different user,
Trash prefs for it,

Alex Price.

yenko
Sep 19, 2005, 01:12 PM

Why is that running all the time....is that necessary? :(