Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uluchay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
As some of you may or may not know, with the iOS 6, a new EQ preset comes which is called Late Night. I recently bought some new headphones and this preset seems to be the best for me. I want to use the same preset for my Mac but I was surprised when I couldn't see it on the EQ presets list in the new iTunes 11. Does anyone know a way to import, or at least what it looks like so I can set it up manually? And I also noticed this preset sounds a little louder than the others so I'm thinking maybe it's pre-amped?

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
...And I also noticed this preset sounds a little louder than the others so I'm thinking maybe it's pre-amped?

It's not louder. Night mode uses extreme (and audio quality destructive) dynamic range compression (not to be confused with data compression) so that you can hear low level passages (usually quiet dialogue in a movie) with the volume turned down. Normally this is used while watching movies at night if you have kids in bed you don't want to disturb. This is the WORST way to listen to audio with headphones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.