PDA

View Full Version : Buying 15" Macbook Pro ... Please help me partition for Bootcamp?

Adamantoise
Dec 2, 2012, 05:28 PM
So I'm buying a 15" Macbook Pro Classic (Non-Retina), it will ship with OS X Mountain Lion.

I plan on swapping out the stock RAM for 8GB 1333 Mhz Samsung RAM
I plan on swapping out the stock HDD for a 250GB Samsung 840 SSD
I plan on partitioning this SSD such that I have 3 partitions.
1. OS X Mountain Lion system and application partition
2. Windows 8 Pro system and application partition
3. Partition to hold files, it shall be accessed by both OS X and Windows.

Is this possible? Pretty much I want my files to be made available to me regardless of what operating system I am running at that point in time.

Please help me out on this, I haven't done it before.

Hugh
Dec 2, 2012, 07:32 PM
Boot-Camp doesn't like more partitions then it creates, something to do with the partition table (10.8 creates a hidden partition for recovery to reinstall the OS). You don't need to create a 3 partition to access files from both Mac OS X and Windows. Mac OS X will read NTFS partitions, but will not write to them, unless you install a 3 party utility. In Windows with the Boot Camp drivers (NOTE: Apple doesn't support Windows 8 yet so you might not have this ability) you can read the Mac OS X partition, just can't write with out a third party utility.

Maybe someone can explain better then I why Boot-Camp doesn't like more then 2 partitions (3 if you include the Recovery Partition). :/

Hugh