PDA

View Full Version : [iPad Mini] iPad Mini Smart Covers, not cases, aftermarket?

Captain Dynamo
Dec 3, 2012, 12:00 AM
Hi, I'm using an Apple Smart Cover and Skinkomi rear skin on my ipad mini. I like to keep it light.

I'd rather not pay the $40 for the Smart Cover, though. Any recommendations for aftermarket smart covers (not cases-I have the Poetic case, but I want even less weight and easier removal).

I have searched the threads, googled etc.

Thanks for your help.

davideotape
Dec 3, 2012, 12:07 AM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1498887

Captain Dynamo
Dec 3, 2012, 12:52 AM
Thanks for the link. I had seen that, but the OP noted

"BUT I've discovered today that the magnets might be a little too strong as my screen turned off a few while the cover was flipped all the way back. Works great as long as you take the whole thing off or use it in stand mode."

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1498887

susa
Dec 7, 2012, 05:25 AM
Hi, I'm using an Apple Smart Cover and Skinkomi rear skin on my ipad mini. I like to keep it light.

I'd rather not pay the $40 for the Smart Cover, though. Any recommendations for aftermarket smart covers (not cases-I have the Poetic case, but I want even less weight and easier removal).

I have searched the threads, googled etc.

Thanks for your help.
Both Apple and 3rd party Smart Covers are showing up on eBay now. Just ordered a 3rd party one for $16 free ship. Looks the same down to the covered magnet. Seller tells me the magnet is just as strong as Apple's.

wytwolf
Dec 7, 2012, 07:58 AM
Issue with 3rd party smart covers are they can trigger the sleep/wake function when opened and flipped to the back of the mini. The apple covers won't put your mini to sleep when the cover is open.

Roy Hobbs
Dec 7, 2012, 08:21 AM
As with most things..... you get what you pay for

glen e
Dec 7, 2012, 08:26 AM
As with most things..... you get what you pay for

amen - I think it amazing to watch so many people bit** here they received a less than stellar case but paid $5-12.....I don't know what they expect....