Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bursty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2004
With all the threads about PB build quality, I've been inspecting mine a little closer lately. From day one, when opening and closing my screen, its always creaked a little but I didnt think much of it. It never opens smoothly, always rough. I just figured it would loosen up with time. Now, after two years, it seems that the left side of the hinge where the display connects is coming loose and when I push to open it, its almost like it separates right there. I can visibly see a gap

I know this is a crappy picture of it but you get the idea of where I'm talking about. I'm guessing this isnt an easy fix and obviously Apple wont fix it for free since its been almost 2 years already. Anyone else have this problem or is it common? I did a search and couldnt find anything.

smalldsc004982rw.jpg

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
It doesn't look too bad. Apple wont do anything right now, because its cosmetic. But the moment it affects functionality, it'll be easy to ask apple to fix it, as this is clearly a build quality issue.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
blaskillet4 said:
But the moment it affects functionality, it'll be easy to ask apple to fix it, as this is clearly a build quality issue.

I doubt they'll do anything without AppleCare though. Agreed, it really doesn't look that bad though. :)

bursty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2004
blaskillet4 said:
It doesn't look too bad. Apple wont do anything right now, because its cosmetic. But the moment it affects functionality, it'll be easy to ask apple to fix it, as this is clearly a build quality issue.
Even after the 1 year warranty is up? I might take it in this weekend but its getting BAD.

bursty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2004
mad jew said:
I doubt they'll do anything without AppleCare though. Agreed, it really doesn't look that bad though. :)
Dammit. :mad:

bursty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2004
Guess I'll just deal with it. No biggie. I'll be trading it in for a 12" PB whenever the Intels finally come out.

jessearl

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2005
I've got the same problem on my 15". It's been doing it almost since day one. I've found that using two hands, one on each side of the screen when closing and adjusting it helps to alleviate, I hope, making this little problem any greater than it is.

alexprice

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2005
I've had the same issue on both of my 1.33 15" PB's, two torx screws loosen a little and can be re-tightened. Getting the display housing off to reach them can be difficult and I would recommend only getting it done at an Apple Authorised Service Provider. It should only cost up to one hour's labour, call your local AASP and ask how much they would charge for this fix. I very much doubt Apple would pay for this, AASP's get paid when they change parts so doing your repair would mean they wouldn't earn, even with an Apple issued CS Code. If you wish to fix this yourself I could explain how.

Alex Price

DaveP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2005
I recently replaced the LCD, hinge, and bezel on my iBook. I don't know if the powerbook is built the same as the iBook, but the reach those screws on the iBook you don't need to remove the display housing. You just need to remove the top case and LCD shield. I could not find any instructions about working on the display itself for the iBook (only how to remove the entire unit) and I don't know if you will be able to find anything for the powerbook. So if it's the same as the iBook, it would not be that much work, but does require ripping the computer open to some degree.

bursty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2004
I poked around http://www.pbfixit.com and found a few install tutorials of the screen and diagrams and whatnot. I might just see if I can loosen/tighten some screws up and see if it doesnt improve it a little.

Thanks for the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.