PDA

View Full Version : Apple Patents Laptop with Built In Camera!

dotdotdot
Sep 18, 2005, 11:46 PM
Digg Story: http://digg.com/apple/Apple_patents_laptop_with_integrated_camera_

Apple has patented a laptop with a camera built into it. While Sony has done this, if Apple has integrated an iSight into a Powerbook... schweet!

This is front-page worthy, man.

TheMonarch
Sep 18, 2005, 11:51 PM
Interesting. I hope its and HD camera :p

bursty
Sep 19, 2005, 12:06 AM
Eh, kinda cool but not much use other then iChat.

pdpfilms
Sep 19, 2005, 12:08 AM
Digg Story: http://digg.com/apple/Apple_patents_laptop_with_integrated_camera_

Apple has patented a laptop with a camera built into it. While Sony has done this, if Apple has integrated an iSight into a Powerbook... schweet!

This is front-page worthy, man.

It is front page worthy. We'll see it up there in about a day or so.

However, I don't see this ever happening. Apple patents alot of stuff... and this just seems like one of those things that will never see production. Unless they could make this camera less than a quarter of an inch deep, it wouldn't make it into a 'book. Think of how badly the beauty of an apple laptop would be disturbed by a honkin' webcam that pivots...

It's not happenin.

walkingmac
Sep 19, 2005, 12:12 AM
Think of how badly the beauty of an apple laptop would be disturbed by a honkin' webcam that pivots...

It's not happenin.

Zackly

Phat_Pat
Sep 19, 2005, 12:15 AM
that would b so sweet.

Instead of a mic its a camera... mmmm

powerbook911
Sep 19, 2005, 12:31 AM
Well, I think it might be nice. I never take the time or money, to order an isight, but with this you'd have the camera out of the box. It might make iChat more attractive and more popular.

Abstract
Sep 19, 2005, 04:46 AM
Unless they could make this camera less than a quarter of an inch deep, it wouldn't make it into a 'book. Think of how badly the beauty of an apple laptop would be disturbed by a honkin' webcam that pivots...

It's not happenin.

Why not? Lots of laptop companies have included a camera into the monitor. IBM has, Asus, Sagem, Fujitsu (I think), and many others, as I don't know EVERY laptop in the world.

I think it's very useful, and is something Apple can do. A patent seems a bit dumb, though.

AoWolf
Sep 19, 2005, 08:59 AM
The portable computer further includes a latch including a data capture device such as a camera that is configured to secure the lid to the base.

It looks the the camera doesn't sit in the LCB but on top of it folding into a gap below the track pad. Sounds ugly to me but we shall see. If anything I would expect this on an iBook as students and causal users would get more use out of then pro users.