PDA

View Full Version : Getting data off a Performa 475 hard drive

Applespider
Sep 19, 2005, 05:39 AM
I have a Mac colleague in the office who was asked by a friend if she could transfer some data from her old Mac for her. 'Of course' she said and was presented with a Performa 475 without keyboard/mouse etc.

She's spotted a SCSI to ethernet adaptor on eBay. Will that work on the Performa's SCSI connector and allow her to see the HD on it?

And will the drive be readable from a new Mac?

combatcolin
Sep 19, 2005, 06:11 AM
I may (Read probably is!) be wrong but OS X networking is a lot different to the old days of Appletalk.

Although generally speaking most computer software is downwardly combatible, so you could use the newer networking technology to talk to an ancient Mac.

You can buy a PCI card that has the old Serial connecters on it, i remember these from the early PM G3 days - eBay for them.

You can also buy USB to Mac Serial adaptors, eBay for them again.

andy89
Sep 19, 2005, 06:25 AM
Cant you just get a SCSI to usb adapter, take the cover off the performa and hook its hard drive up to your mac? :)

Jo-Kun
Sep 19, 2005, 08:11 AM
maybe she should go for a PCI scsiboard for her mac pull the HD from the performa, connect to the scsi... and you're ready... look on ebay somebody will have a SCSI PCI for mac I guess...
if she can add the scsi-ethernet adaptor she still needs a keyboard/mouse to do the setup before being able to connect to it...

Macky-Mac
Sep 19, 2005, 08:13 PM
....And will the drive be readable from a new Mac?

once you get your hardware issues resolved........I think you'll have to use the older computer to access the user's drop box on the newer computer and not the other way around.....I gather that Tiger only supports sharing with TCP/IP and not appletalk and so it wont connect.....a friend had to transfer his files from an older powerbook to a new ibook and every time he tried to connect from the new ibook running tiger, he would get a message that said "connection failed" .....but he was able to get a usable connection when working from the older powerbook

CanadaRAM
Sep 19, 2005, 08:26 PM
I may (Read probably is!) be wrong but OS X networking is a lot different to the old days of Appletalk.

Although generally speaking most computer software is downwardly combatible, so you could use the newer networking technology to talk to an ancient Mac.

You can buy a PCI card that has the old Serial connecters on it, i remember these from the early PM G3 days - eBay for them.

You can also buy USB to Mac Serial adaptors, eBay for them again.
OSX Networking includes Appletalk. There's the physical layer, which is either ethernet 10BaseT or LocalTalk, then there's the logical -- the LC475 would be able to participate in OSX networking as long as it had Appletalk version (3.8.3? can't remember) The LC475 may have an ethernet card built in/

Serial connection is NOT the way to go.

Never head of a SCSI to USB adaptor for a hard drive.

The other problem is that the LC475 is without mouse,, keyboard or monitor... will need to dig up ADB peripherals and a montior with a 'MacSync' adaptor.

The easiest way is to find someone with a Beige G3 machine (or 86/9600) that has a CD burner. Pop in the LC475 SCSI drive onto the G3's SCSI bus, burn off a CD. Done.