Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

londonweb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2005
london
I'm trying again with this post as its drew a blank last time :confused:

This seems to me a strange problem and I can't figure it out: I bought a second hand ibook G3 800mhz, with CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo drive, and a ran a couple of different video and data dvds through it to test it when I first got it, and they worked fine. A couple of days later I tried to run one of the same data dvds in it that had previously worked ok, and it made some sort of pathetic faint noises and then spat it out about 10 seconds later. I didn't even hear it spin. Now whenever I put any sort of DVD in, data or video, the same thing happens.

I haven't changed anything hardware or software-wise since the dvds were working. Basically, one evening they were, and the next morning they weren't. The drive is otherwise fine- cds read and burn fine. I don't understand why it would work for cds but suddenly not dvds. This would suggest it's a software problem I think (?) but I haven't changed anything as far as I can recall, and I don't know where to start checking for errors...

Any help would be greatly appreciated and apart from hopefully getting my ibook working again, I'd be able to stop staring blankly at it wondering what's going on...

alexprice

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2005
Sounds like a failed drive, try to boot off a Tiger DVD, if it boots from it ok then it means that you may just have a software fault.

Alex Price

londonweb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2005
london
alexprice said:
Sounds like a failed drive, try to boot off a Tiger DVD, if it boots from it ok then it means that you may just have a software fault.

Alex Price

Thanks Alex. I don't actually have a tiger dvd to hand though...

Any idea what would make it fail? Seems a bit crap to me if this is the case (on Apple's part I mean- the ibook is only just over 2 years old), and weird that it would read and burn a cd but not a dvd? What do you think?

alexprice

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2005
londonweb said:
Thanks Alex. I don't actually have a tiger dvd to hand though...

Any idea what would make it fail? Seems a bit crap to me if this is the case (on Apple's part I mean- the ibook is only just over 2 years old), and weird that it would read and burn a cd but not a dvd? What do you think?

Apple don't make the drives, this fault in my opinion amounts to around 75% of all cd-drive failures.

Don't blame Apple.

The repair may cost up to £200, you mind find it worth trying a cd cleaner.

Its a cd the cleans the drives laser.

Alex Price

londonweb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2005
london
alexprice said:
Apple don't make the drives, this fault in my opinion amounts to around 75% of all cd-drive failures.

Don't blame Apple.

The repair may cost up to £200, you mind find it worth trying a cd cleaner.

Its a cd the cleans the drives laser.

Alex Price

I can blame Apple for putting the drive in there in the first place!

I'll try a cd cleaner as a last ditch attempt.

Thanks for your advice.

alexprice

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2005
Apple wouldn't intentionally want the drive to fail, these drive are used in other brands of laptops aswell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.