PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article with mistake about PowerPC

skateny
Dec 3, 2012, 08:49 PM
http://www.tuaw.com/2012/11/05/snow-leopard-still-used-on-more-than-a-quarter-of-all-macs/

Comments are also interesting about SL and ML.

simsaladimbamba
Dec 3, 2012, 08:51 PM
What mistake?

kylera
Dec 3, 2012, 08:56 PM
I believe you're referring to the term "PowerPC-exclusive". As far as I know, it's grammatically sound, meaning "to exclude the PPC."

zackkmac
Dec 3, 2012, 08:56 PM
What mistake?

The article claims that Snow Leopard is the last PowerPC-supporting version of OS X when it was actually Leopard.

simsaladimbamba
Dec 3, 2012, 08:57 PM
The article claims that Snow Leopard is the last PowerPC-supporting version of OS X when it was actually Leopard.

Does that mean, that Rosetta in Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard was not able to run and thus support PPC applications? I know, that Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard was Intel only and not UB anymore, but I am still able to run PPC applications with it.

I guess "support" means something else in this regard. Bummer.

skateny
Dec 3, 2012, 09:00 PM
Does that mean, that Rosetta in Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard was not able to run and thus support PPC applications? I know, that Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard was Intel only and not UB anymore, but I am still able to run PPC applications with it.

I guess "support" means something else in this regard. Bummer.

Rosetta works in SL.

Nermal
Dec 3, 2012, 09:00 PM
The article is correct. Snow Leopard can run PPC-only ("PowerPC-exclusive") software.

simsaladimbamba
Dec 3, 2012, 09:02 PM
Rosetta works in SL.

Thus the article is correct, is it not? Or am I understanding the phrasing of "PPC support" differently? For me it means, PPC applications (not UB) are still supported and able to run, similar to Classic Mode on older PPC Macs.

skateny
Dec 3, 2012, 09:05 PM
http://www.technologytell.com/apple/108273/thoughts-on-snow-leopards-return-to-the-apple-store/

I'm rehabbing after hip replacement surgery. Can't wait to go home on Wednesday.