PDA

View Full Version : iOS 7 - revamped or polished again?

Risco
Dec 4, 2012, 04:57 AM
I personally am hoping for a revamp. Apple were very clever in holding back key features over the years such as cut and paste, mms and multi-tasking and implementing them in a unique and original way an pitching it as revolutionary. Now they have every feature there is nothing they can reinvent, which only leaves an iOS total revamp imo.

What do you think?

Vundu
Dec 4, 2012, 05:39 AM
Hoping for a revamp but not sure it will happen.

brylliant
Dec 4, 2012, 06:06 AM
I'm hoping for a revamped experience but we all know Apple - if its not broke, don't fix it.

JaySoul
Dec 4, 2012, 06:09 AM
Needs a major revamp.

There are so many apps that make the stock ones look ancient, and there should be loads of scope to improve Notifications, add some live content etc.

Hope Ive gets his fingers dirty.

Beeplance
Dec 4, 2012, 06:10 AM
Won't be a complete revamp.

Apple won't introduce a completely new-look iOS, it will destroy the simplicity of the OS itself and also make it difficult for people to learn how to use the system. Maybe some changes in different apps, but it won't be a completely new look as a whole.

----------

I'm hoping for a revamped experience but we all know Apple - if its not broke, don't fix it.

This too. Apple logic.

inselstudent
Dec 4, 2012, 06:33 AM

Apple won't introduce a completely new-look iOS, it will destroy the simplicity of the OS itself and also make it difficult for people to learn how to use the system. Maybe some changes in different apps, but it won't be a completely new look as a whole.

----------

This too. Apple logic.

I wouldn't call that Apple logic, but rather common sense. I don't think the majority of iPhone users actually care about the looks but more about whether things work and they tend to on iOS. So, really, why change something? Just because a bunch of geeks (I'd even include myself here) complain about how boring the OS looks, Apple won't change a thing. An OS simply isn't supposed to entertain people, and we should understand that.

Beeplance
Dec 4, 2012, 06:36 AM
I wouldn't call that Apple logic, but rather common sense. I don't think the majority of iPhone users actually care about the looks but more about whether things work and they tend to on iOS. So, really, why change something? Just because a bunch of geeks (I'd even include myself here) complain about how boring the OS looks, Apple won't change a thing. An OS simply isn't supposed to entertain people, and we should understand that.

Yeah I agree with you. Unlike other people, I'm ok with iOS being what it is now, don't find it boring at all. Just because Windows Phone 8 has live tiles and all that doesn't mean iOS is boring. I'm working perfectly fine with it, and glad that you think the same way as me.:cool:

VulchR
Dec 4, 2012, 06:51 AM
Given the iOS Maps fiasco, for which Tim Cooke was forced to admit was a poor showing, a proper polishing would be a good thing even it were modest.

A revamp with toggles for commonly used settings (and perhaps a dedicated page to widgets?) would be even better

Uplift
Dec 4, 2012, 07:00 AM
I think it will be somewhere in between.. It would be stupid to revamp the full OS, but i certainly think will it bring more to the table than iOS4->5 or iOS5->6.

r2shyyou
Dec 4, 2012, 07:09 AM
Now they have every feature there is nothing they can reinvent, which only leaves an iOS total revamp imo.

I respectfully disagree. Everything can be reinvented. In fact, I'd argue that this is precisely Apple's forté. If you really think it's all there right now, I'm happy to predict that you will be pleasantly surprised come iOS 7.

Personally, I believe iOS 7 will bring not only a revamp (though I wouldn't go so far as to call it "total") but also existing features reinvented and one or more brand new feature(s) that we haven't seen yet, at least in the mainstream.

I'm clearly being optimistic and perhaps naïvely so but since I can't say "for sure" what the future will bring, I'll just sit here happily hoping for it all.

(By the way, I can think of many practical situations where it could be good to not set expectations too high...but this is just a cell phone and as long as they don't butcher the OS, I won't cry if I don't get everything I'm hoping for.)

I think it will be somewhere in between.. It would be stupid to revamp the full OS, but i certainly think will it bring more to the table than iOS4->5 or iOS5->6.

Stupid? Can you elaborate, please?

Also, iOS 4 > iOS 5 was pretty significant, by Apple standards. iOS 5 > iOS 6 was, in my opinion, far less so.

Beeplance
Dec 4, 2012, 07:27 AM
I respectfully disagree. Everything can be reinvented. In fact, I'd argue that this is precisely Apple's forté. If you really think it's all there right now, I'm happy to predict that you will be pleasantly surprised come iOS 7.

Personally, I believe iOS 7 will bring not only a revamp (though I wouldn't go so far as to call it "total") but also existing features reinvented and one or more brand new feature(s) that we haven't seen yet, at least in the mainstream.

I'm clearly being optimistic and perhaps naïvely so but since I can't say "for sure" what the future will bring, I'll just sit here happily hoping for it all.

(By the way, I can think of many practical situations where it could be good to not set expectations too high...but this is just a cell phone and as long as they don't butcher the OS, I won't cry if I don't get everything I'm hoping for.)

Also, iOS 4 > iOS 5 was pretty significant, by Apple standards. iOS 5 > iOS 6 was, in my opinion, far less so.

I agree, iOS 5 was significant that Apple made a video introducing its features. Look at iOS 6, there wasn't even a video about it. Some features like Guided access, VIP mailbox, and reply a message for phone wasn't even discussed frequently in the forums....

Richardgm
Dec 4, 2012, 07:37 AM
Judging from the lack of innovation in iOS 6, I can only assume that's because iOS 7 will be a major update.

If not, I'll begin to wonder what the software engineers have been doing with their year.

Doombringer
Dec 4, 2012, 09:16 AM
I think they should be more ambitious and push a new(er) look. iTunes 11 shows they can think beyond what has become the "norm" for them, and make it work. At least in terms of design (missing/retired features aside).

I'd love to see an iOS with less skeuomorphic designs, cleaner, more polished, sexy. Not kitschy. More uniform, but also not sterile. Apple is accomplishing this in their device designs, making elegant items with clean lines and colors... iOS should be no different.

TacticalDesire
Dec 4, 2012, 04:55 PM
I'm desperately hoping for a revamp. In MY I repeat MY opinion. iOS is lagging to far behind the competition. There a quite a number of things I am missing from *ahem* Android.

NutsNGum
Dec 4, 2012, 05:04 PM
I don't think they can afford to keep polishing.

cyks
Dec 4, 2012, 05:31 PM
Now they have every feature there is nothing they can reinvent, which only leaves an iOS total revamp imo.

Not even close. Heck, we still don't even have ring profiles - something that practically ALL of my previous phones over the past 15 years have had.

The Merg
Dec 4, 2012, 05:42 PM
Not even close. Heck, we still don't even have ring profiles - something that practically ALL of my previous phones over the past 15 years have had.

Or copying and pasting of calendar events which my HP iPaq 1910 Pocket PC had the ability to do...

- Merg

Aluminum213
Dec 4, 2012, 05:48 PM
I personally am hoping for a revamp. Apple were very clever in holding back key features over the years such as cut and paste, mms and multi-tasking and implementing them in a unique and original way an pitching it as revolutionary. Now they have every feature there is nothing they can reinvent, which only leaves an iOS total revamp imo.

What do you think?

are you serious with this question? iOS 6 upgrade was a joke, they better revamp the damn thing

Eckscaliber
Dec 4, 2012, 06:03 PM
All I really want to see Apple do, is change a few of the stock icons (i.e. the photo icon is dull) and make some slight changes, like adding a realistic lookmto the paper in the Notes app. Also, it would be nice to have the ability to talk to people in the Game Center.

CarlosQG
Dec 4, 2012, 08:49 PM
I think it will be UI polish but no, no widgets or home screen revamp.

Think about it; a lot, A LOT of girls use iOS devices because it's pretty, super easy to use and hardly you get lost. Give them an android or windows phone and they will just drop it. So just because some nerds want widgets and new home screen and stuff like that doesn't mean iOS need it.

ericlin0122
Dec 4, 2012, 09:47 PM
put back the "new" googlemap, now that's innovation.

ajvizzgamer101
Dec 4, 2012, 09:49 PM
Major Polish.

Beeplance
Dec 4, 2012, 10:26 PM
put back the "new" googlemap, now that's innovation.

Won't happen. The new google maps will exist as an app on the App Store. That way, Google can continually push out app updates and improvements to it on a faster rate as well, as opposed to waiting for iOS updates like last time pre-iOS 5.

trvsglr
Dec 4, 2012, 11:16 PM
I think it will be UI polish but no, no widgets or home screen revamp.

Think about it; a lot, A LOT of girls use iOS devices because it's pretty, super easy to use and hardly you get lost. Give them an android or windows phone and they will just drop it. So just because some nerds want widgets and new home screen and stuff like that doesn't mean iOS need it.

I agree, (not that my firlfriend is dumb or anything:o) but she had an Android phone for a day and took it back for an iPhone the next. I've used iPhone's since they came out and she would use mine often for games and stuff. When it came time that she thought she wanted a smart phone (she has Verizon) they talked her out of an iPhone and gave her a Droid. We were both pretty much lost with it. It just felt so cluttered, something as simple as trying to adjust something in the settings, was just not simple. That's what we both love about our iPhones, the simplicity.

psykick5
Dec 4, 2012, 11:22 PM
It needs major revamp. Jelly Bean kills iOS in terms of UI.

Namtaro
Dec 4, 2012, 11:23 PM
Hopefully they follow suit with the iTunes revamp and unveil an amazing OS just like they did when they unveiled the original iPhone. Maybe they won't be able to do something as amazing... but there's always hope. iOS is getting a little stale, but if Android on a Note 2 (The only Android device I'm considering) was anything like my experience on the Nexus 7 which had dropped frames left and right and led me to once again switch back to Apple just like I did when I gave the S2 a chance... I can hold out.

Not going to upgrade to the iPhone 5 since my 4 still does what it needs to do and the 5 is missing a few key tweaks I need that only a Jailbroken iPhone has. If the 5 ever does get jailbroken and the tweaks get done for the iPhone 5, I'll switch right away, but for now there's really no point for me.

Beeplance
Dec 4, 2012, 11:58 PM

That's very subjective. JB may appear as a better UI for you, but for others out there, people might prefer the simplicity of iOS over Android.

TheMTtakeover
Dec 5, 2012, 12:03 AM

I actually really like that it doesn't have ring profiles, I always thought they were dumb.

zbarvian
Dec 5, 2012, 07:53 AM
Well their last attempts at polish were rather unsatisfying (colored status bars, music app redesign). I think they definitely need to revamp some of the UI. Settings is cluttered, Safari is cluttered (look at Chrome), the homescreen and notification center are lacking in functionality, and the whole thing is getting stale and looking chunky.

ericlin0122
Dec 5, 2012, 08:17 AM
That's very subjective. JB may appear as a better UI for you, but for others out there, people might prefer the simplicity of iOS over Android.

you call it simple. I call it sh?t

MonkeySee....
Dec 5, 2012, 08:21 AM
What ever happens people will not be satisfied.

It is what it is.

Beeplance
Dec 5, 2012, 08:27 AM

It is what it is.

This post deserves a thousand points.

zbarvian
Dec 5, 2012, 08:34 AM

It is what it is.

It could be loads better, no?

MonkeySee....
Dec 5, 2012, 08:41 AM
It could be loads better, no?

Depends what you want from it I guess :confused:

Uplift
Dec 5, 2012, 08:44 AM

Because there is nothing wrong with it, imagine them replacing the app launcher with widgets and adding an extra press to get to the full list of apps, there would be uproar.

It needs to stay the same, but with a little more customisation..

ajvizzgamer101
Dec 5, 2012, 08:45 AM

no

Steeley
Dec 5, 2012, 08:50 AM
Or copying and pasting of calendar events which my HP iPaq 1910 Pocket PC had the ability to do...

- Merg

And I still can't check or answer a message without pausing a video or leaving the app...

Ericcc
Dec 5, 2012, 09:29 AM

What do you think?

Lol. This reminds me of this famous misquote:

"Everything that can be invented has been invented."
Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. patent office, 1899

The whole premise for your thread is out of wack. Users have been arguing for a revamp due to desired features, and you say you want to revamp it for the opposite reason? Market leading tech incumbents don't revamp a UI because people are too used to it; they do so when the outdated OS infrastructure forces them to, or else perish like RIM and Nokia Symbian.

r2shyyou
Dec 5, 2012, 09:54 AM
Because there is nothing wrong with it, imagine them replacing the app launcher with widgets and adding an extra press to get to the full list of apps, there would be uproar.

It needs to stay the same, but with a little more customisation..

All of this is subjective and speculative. I can imagine them doing whatever they think is best and totally ignoring the likelihood of what they do causing uproar.

skadd
Dec 5, 2012, 10:04 AM
I'm new to iOS and they really need to redesign the Music app more in terms with the new iTunes.. Remove the coverflow And add cover-tiles browsing like in iTunes 11->Albums.
The "playing now" section of the app is great though.

Drunken Master
Dec 5, 2012, 10:18 AM
When it came time that she thought she wanted a smart phone (she has Verizon) they talked her out of an iPhone and gave her a Droid.

You'll pretty much never see those phone salespeople push anything other than an Android phone.

I don't listen to anything they have to say when it comes to their opinions of the devices themselves.

Trey1984
Dec 5, 2012, 11:42 PM
no

Ya it really does. I've bought iphones since day one and Im tired of apple milking every little thing for profit. Android was the best decision I've made as it blows the user interface out of the water.

nuckinfutz
Dec 6, 2012, 12:14 AM
Once again I'm reading a lot of people asking for revamps or telling me that W8 or Androids blows iOS out of the water without really substantiating their opinion. Not saying you have to but revamps and feelings on OS interface is highly subjective.

Things that make sense to me.

Quick Replies from SMS/iMessage texts - makes sense when you need to just quickly respond.

Toggles - Makes no sense unless you've lived with phones that don't last 5 hrs with Bluetooth and Wifi running. Sorry this is an Android ailment far more than iOS.

Widgets - other than the couple that form the ticker at the top of Notification Center I doubt you see widgets become prominent. I think we'll get more choice about what to put up there beyond stocks or weather but we'll see.

Notification Center- I don't think it's going to evolve that much. There's a point where it simply needs to give me notifications and not try to do too much. I would like a "erase all" button and a feature that allows me to funnel notifications for a single device so I don't get 4 notifications all chiming at once.

Less Context switches - I think we're going to see less and less context switches. Rather than the somewhat dizzying window swaps that we have now there will be far more things that present data in a panel much like an email panel or text message panel. This will keep people in their app yet allow them to purchase, communicate or be informed without the context switch.

Safe and secure sharing - Apple's been working on a modern and secure way of running processes and sharing this across apps. This can lead to some interesting inter-app communication but it has to be done right.

Live icons - I think this one could be coming because the icon in Software Update is animated. Apple probably won't just animate the icons they'll find a way to let color represent certain things so that visually some apps will provide more information based on the color of the icon rather than just a number that changes.

I'm sure there will be some eye candy and more unification of the "design language" thanks to Ive and other but in the end I don't think iOS is lacking as much as some think. Even iOS 6 delivered some nice new stuff to work with that will yield improved apps and that's what is really important to me.

Djlild7hina
Dec 6, 2012, 12:31 AM
iOS7 "this changes everything..... again" :D

Only thing I really want is some type of app drawer (I like simplicity) and toggles in notification center. I'm not a big fan of widgets and don't even use them on my s3.

irDigital0l
Dec 6, 2012, 01:13 AM
Apple needs to update all its UI's for the default apps for iPhone and iPad.

Then they need to fix Notification Center and Multitasking.

Looking at what Jellybean 4.2 can do makes iOS (especially iOS 6) look like a pile of dirt.

Beeplance
Dec 6, 2012, 04:08 AM
Can you guys imagine if Tim Cook says that "iOS 7 is the most advanced mobile operating system on the planet"? Unless there's an astronomical leap in terms of features for iOS 7 (Unlikely), I really can't see iOS being "the most advanced mobile operating system" in 2013.

I will really face-palm. No joke.

Fuzzi
Dec 6, 2012, 04:55 AM
I think Apple has realized that currently many people switch from iOS to Android - not because of the hardware, the iPhone 5 is great, but because of iOS.

Android isn't prefect but it's developing. iOS? Not so much. I think they also need to revamp their software release cycle. Adding new features only once per year is imho too slow in this market.

I hope they'll include better keyboards or allow third party keyboards like on Android (although that probably won't happen ;-( ). There are so many reallly great keyboards available for Android .

One other thing: Currently most app developers complain about the new App Store in iOS 6 and iTunes 11 which always shows free apps first and makes it harder to sell apps. Android is growing much faster than iOS, although the sales on Android are not as high as on iOS many developers are currently switching or expanding to Android. This means one of the key arguments for iOS (better apps) will slowly vanish if Apple continues this path. Only big developers will be able to make money out of the iOS App Store.

So I think the management shakeup has shown, that Apple sees that it's threatened by Android and others. They will and have to do a major revamp with iOS 7.

SDAVE
Dec 6, 2012, 05:23 AM
I would like to see a revamp...but if you think about it, Apple is a business and money just keeps coming in. The majority of the buyers don't care and they just keep buying the new phones in drones regardless of the OS updates.

It'd be interesting to see what Apple does in 2015 with iOS and the iPhone.

Risco
Dec 6, 2012, 03:37 PM

Well, I personally think Apple's ideas have been a bit stale of late. I have been underwhelmed by the last couple of iOS. I would say reinventing used to be Apples thing, but they have been slacking of late, do you not agree?

Ayemerica
Dec 6, 2012, 07:43 PM
I think 6.1 is bug fixes and laying ground work to NC improvements and live icons for iOS 7

irDigital0l
Dec 6, 2012, 07:45 PM
I think 6.1 is bug fixes and laying ground work to NC improvements and live icons for iOS 7

There hasn't been anything that exciting in iOS 6.1 for the dev builds and its now like version 3.

King Shady
Dec 6, 2012, 07:56 PM

Agreed. While I'm content with my iPhone 5 (love the sexy design and the apps are great), I believe Android has a far more intuitive and rewarding UI. In my opinion, it's much more visually pleasing and there's actual updates in every new release of Android (iOS 6 was a joke).

throAU
Dec 6, 2012, 09:11 PM
It will be a minor tweak, with new APIs for programmers.

If you're hoping for a major UI overhaul you'll be disappointed. The UI is done as far as apple is concerned.

sotorious
Dec 6, 2012, 11:41 PM
Hopefully they revamp soon because I won't be returning till they do.

Risco
Dec 10, 2012, 01:07 PM

If you're hoping for a major UI overhaul you'll be disappointed. The UI is done as far as apple is concerned.

I am not convinced that is true, they are starting to get grumbles about the OS getting stale from even the most loyal of fans such as The Verge. This is not Steve Jobs Apple, this is Tim Cooks Apple who responds to market demands such as increased screen size and iPad mini.

King Bowser
Dec 10, 2012, 01:50 PM
Hopefully they revamp soon because I won't be returning till they do.

I've b een the most patient son of a bitch out there. I knew I shouldn't have updated to 6.0 but god damnit they made such a big deal about the maps that it was so hard to say no. I know better now. When I'm up for an upgrade, if there's no JB i'm jumping to Android. That Note II looks delicious. I heard the SG IV is coming out in February too... glad there's options out there...

Rogifan
Dec 14, 2012, 05:02 PM

Tim Cook would not have put Jony Ive in charge of software UI (or look and feel as he says) if all we were getting going forward was minor tweaks. You don't need a head of Human Interface to push through minor tweaks.

Abazigal
Dec 14, 2012, 09:12 PM
I doubt 6 months would be enough to give IOS the major overhaul some people claim it needs anyways. I think we will just see a reskin, plus some minor UI changes. Hopefully, that will be enough to keep IOS fresh until version8.

throAU
Dec 15, 2012, 01:28 AM
Tim Cook would not have put Jony Ive in charge of software UI (or look and feel as he says) if all we were getting going forward was minor tweaks. You don't need a head of Human Interface to push through minor tweaks.

Apps will be tweaked. The iOS UI itself will remain the same.

tymaster50
Dec 15, 2012, 01:50 AM
I believe they will change the way some stock apps look, add a quick toggle feature or a quick reply or maybe both lol, and maybe jony ive will introduce themes. In a perfect world :/ they pretty much have to to stay in the game. It won't destroy iOS's simplicity.

slwiser
Dec 15, 2012, 05:02 AM
I hope they create a usable file system. Just read a great article on this and I see that this will not be happening and the reason behind it. iOS is meant to be a TOY for playing not development apparently.

Rogifan
Dec 15, 2012, 06:27 AM
Apps will be tweaked. The iOS UI itself will remain the same.

So what was the point of putting Ive in charge of Human Interfece then? :confused:

SteveAbootman
Dec 15, 2012, 06:34 AM
Guess it depends on someone's definition of what a revamp encompasses. For me, I'd like a UI that let's me navigate settings and notifications much faster. As has been mentioned countless times, a quick reply option for iMessage/texts that doesn't force you out of the current app is almost a must at this point.

Other considerations: there are too many levels of menus to drill down in settings. This could be drastically improved with immediate access to commonly used settings maybe by a section at the top.

Finally, we need more control over notifications across devices. If I'm on my iPad, I don't need my other devices letting me know I have a new message or the score of a football game. Give me a way to temp disable them on my other devices.

zbarvian
Dec 15, 2012, 07:58 AM
I hope they create a usable file system. Just read a great article on this and I see that this will not be happening and the reason behind it. iOS is meant to be a TOY for playing not development apparently.

I'm pretty sure a file system is the one thing we know for sure WON'T happen.

slwiser
Dec 15, 2012, 08:10 AM
I'm pretty sure a file system is the one thing we know for sure WON'T happen.

Understanding what I do now, I have to agree.

gforce216
Dec 15, 2012, 09:51 AM
In the past month I've seen Rdio, almost all Google apps, Dropbox and Xbox Smartglass kill iOS in UI design. Apple desperately needs to shake things up in my opinion. The UI color gradients are tacky. I love the functionality of iOS but the two items I want to see in 7 are the ability to change the default apps and a new UI. For me those two features would totally cover what I'm looking for.

southfrisco
Dec 15, 2012, 01:17 PM
I don't think many of you understand the life cycle of an OS. OSX has been on the market for over 10 years now and has largely been the same outside of improvements made here and there. iOS has been on the market for a little over five years and the icon based OS has (again) largely remained the same. Outside of small tweaks and changes it will again remain the same icon based springboard we know it as today when iOS 7 is introduced.

Irregardless of the recent change in Apple's Organizational Chart, iOS won't be seeing a full 360 change in look and feel next year. I am so sure of this I will bet anyone (who is a gambler here?) a new iPhone 5s 16GB (contract priced) that iOS 7 will see a small feature set of changes and maybe one or two new stock app additions or small changes in the current list of stock app functionality.

Remember the next iPhone is going to look almost exactly like the iPhone 5. Why would they revamp the entire OS for a hardware spec upgrade offering? And why would they change gears and overhaul the thing that continues to break record sales year after year and is as simple as it gets for mobile software?

Changing a phone OS may be your answer to giving your life meaning. To a business changing something that continues to sell big, just to change it, is not an answer, however bored a small fraction of the customer base may be with the look and feel of an OS.

saberahul
Dec 15, 2012, 02:41 PM
Give me a phone that works and give me features that make me go "wow" every year or so and I will be happy.

johnstanley
Dec 16, 2012, 02:44 AM
A unified UI across mac, iphone and ipad. I think that's what Ive's is in charge of now. It would be great to be able to have touch gesture recorded for screen recording purposes too! My #1 request.

throAU
Dec 16, 2012, 07:13 PM
So what was the point of putting Ive in charge of Human Interfece then? :confused:

The apps.

dscuber9000
Dec 16, 2012, 07:48 PM
I'd like to see "widgets" in Notification Center. Not sure about the home screen, though. "Live tiles" would be cool for some stock apps, but if that option was given to developers, how annoying would the home screen look with some free apps? Quick SMS reply is a no-brainer. Other than that, I'd prefer more polish than a complete UI revamp. iOS doesn't need to be more like Android when there is already Android.

Rogifan
Dec 16, 2012, 09:56 PM
The apps.

So when Tim Cook says Ive will be responsible for the look and feel of the software he's referring only to apps? Somehow I doubt that.

iphoneglance2
Dec 17, 2012, 09:40 AM
Completely agree with you. Why would Apple want to revamp it's iOS? Everything is so simple and just works. Everytime I do something that my wife's phone cannot do I just say to her, this is an iPhone not and HTC.

----------

This too. Apple logic.

WesCole
Dec 17, 2012, 09:49 AM
I am just waiting for Safari extensions...Ad Blocker and 1Password in particular.

Also, toggles for Wifi, Bluetooth, etc. in the notification pull down would be nice.

While I am at it, why not give users the options to set default applications to something other than Apple's apps? :D

VSMacOne
Dec 17, 2012, 02:06 PM
I don't know if you can call it a revamp, but I'm sure Jony Ive will put his touch on iOS7. That will be the first major iOS release under his leadership, and I'm sure he'll want it to be special.
It'll be interesting to see exactly how much of the current iOS strategy has been Apple, and how much of it has been Forstall being stubborn.

nfl46
Dec 17, 2012, 02:10 PM
It's time for a revamp!

kmj2318
Dec 17, 2012, 02:12 PM
It's obvious that the UI will be updated with a more modern look. I'm sure we're going to see redesigned nobs and switches etc. Less gradients, more solid colors, less glassy, no pinstripes, no linen. :)

"Jony [Ive, senior vice president of industrial design], who I think has the best taste of anyone in the world and the best design skills, now has responsibility for the human interface. I mean, look at our products. (Cook reaches for his iPhone.) The face of this is the software, right? And the face of this iPad is the software. So it’s saying, Jony has done a remarkable job leading our hardware design, so let’s also have Jony responsible for the software and the look and feel of the software, not the underlying architecture and so forth, but the look and feel…. I don’t think there’s anybody in the world that has a better taste than he does. So I think he’s very special. He’s an original… I love Jony. He’s an incredible guy, and I have a massive amount of respect for him." –Tim Cook

nuckinfutz
Dec 17, 2012, 02:22 PM
iOS 7 doesn't need to be a revamp because it works. Apple just sold 2 million phones over the weekend. They are clearly doing something right. That being said there's room for polish.

Defaults-

I realize that default Mapping and Browser choices aren't coming but i'd like to see that second level because user selectable. If I hit a twitter link I want it to be passed to Tweetbot. If I hit a LinkedIn profile I want it opening up in the LinkedIn app.

Open With -

Please let me prioritize my chosen applications so that my favorite apps get top billing. This is like Defaults but in this case I do want to have multiple options in the Open With panel and those options should be defined by user choice or frequency of use.

Visual Notification-Live icons -
It's time to usher in the ability to have some apps change their icon color or animate their icon as a form of notification or "heat map" like functionality. My calendar icon should show the current day and if I chose, a heat map of how busy my day is (e.g a very busy day shows a red icon). I'm tired of numbered badges.

More Panels -

Panels are a great way to quickly access features. Note that if you send yourself an email with a link to an Apple Store app a Store Panel pops up with that app ready to purchase or download. No context switch needed. iOS 7 should have an expanded reach on these features so that data from other stores and even apps can be presented in a familiar panel.

Accounts Framework -

Loving the ease of use that I have with Twitter and Facebook authentication through iOS 6 frameworks. In fact I get pissed off when developers use the old method of making me sign in through a web view. iOS 7 needs to expand this to more services...many more.

Razeus
Dec 17, 2012, 03:48 PM
Just give me the ability to choose default apps, even for the camera on the lock screen and the "open in" feature and I'm good.

On the iPad, multi user accounts is a must. I guess Apple expects everyone in the houeshold to have their own $500 iPads.:eek:

Apple frankly, is becoming too much of a walled garden.

iTunes should be on Android, seriously.

Lucikly Google is being smart by making it so a link in Gmail app opens in my Safari app. Or a map link in Safari opens in my Google Maps app.

Google is building a system within iOS's on garden. Brilliant move.

Apple really needs to open up an COLLABORATE with people that do services better than do (because they can't do it all, it's clear now). Google and Dropbox come to mind.

iZac
Dec 18, 2012, 02:55 AM
This might sound like troll speak, but I personally think iOS 8 is going to be the major revamp. I think iOS 7 will see some slick minimalisation of the cheesy stuff that has been growing on iOS, but that will only really be a high level change. It might signal a new design approach for apple, but a change in how we use the device will come a little later.

Consider the fact that OS X 10.9 (presumably coming next year) will be the last version of OS X and since the introduction of OS X there has been a paradigm shift in the way people use computing devices. Mobile and specifically touch devices are proving that they can replace 90% of what consumers use computers for (the needs of content creators in the business and creative fields is a different discussion altogether)

Dare I say that Windows 8 has taken some brave steps toward Apples much vaunted "post PC" era, but in typical Microsoft fashion they're fumbling it. High software price for an upgrade, a botched tablet launch and this glaring disconnect between metro and the traditional desktop make it an uncomfortable attempt to capture two audiences while satisfying neither. Which is a shame because if they can convince devs to write apps in Metro they could have an incredibly powerful force against google and apple.

So while we have this somewhat vague integration between iOS and OSX, (apps that sync with each other and such) it's really reactionary to the rise of iOS rather than it being an experience created to suit this change in platform and usage. While I have no idea how they can solve this, it feel like the integration between your Mac and iOS experience could be seamless, if only someone figured it out properly.

And so with OS XI on the horizon in perhaps 2014, I think we'll see a major shift in how both iOS and Mac OS work, to the point that one day the experices will be the same. I get the feeling this will require a painful change for the average desktop user and desktop devs, but that the fundamentals of content creation will still be present. If anything it's easy to change the desktop experience with apple pushing 'full screen' app experiences, which really just leaves the big issue of file handling and input methods.

A rather off topic ramble, but just my two cents.

vicky07
Dec 18, 2012, 05:02 AM
It needs a major revamp...as they are polishing things from so long but i am not very sure whether they will revamp it or not?
Let's just hope they revamp it and not polish this time

tomjleeds
Dec 18, 2012, 06:05 AM
iOS 7 doesn't need to be a revamp because it works. Apple just sold 2 million phones over the weekend. They are clearly doing something right. That being said there's room for polish.

Defaults-

I realize that default Mapping and Browser choices aren't coming but i'd like to see that second level because user selectable. If I hit a twitter link I want it to be passed to Tweetbot. If I hit a LinkedIn profile I want it opening up in the LinkedIn app.

Open With -

Please let me prioritize my chosen applications so that my favorite apps get top billing. This is like Defaults but in this case I do want to have multiple options in the Open With panel and those options should be defined by user choice or frequency of use.

Visual Notification-Live icons -
It's time to usher in the ability to have some apps change their icon color or animate their icon as a form of notification or "heat map" like functionality. My calendar icon should show the current day and if I chose, a heat map of how busy my day is (e.g a very busy day shows a red icon). I'm tired of numbered badges.

More Panels -

Panels are a great way to quickly access features. Note that if you send yourself an email with a link to an Apple Store app a Store Panel pops up with that app ready to purchase or download. No context switch needed. iOS 7 should have an expanded reach on these features so that data from other stores and even apps can be presented in a familiar panel.

Accounts Framework -

Loving the ease of use that I have with Twitter and Facebook authentication through iOS 6 frameworks. In fact I get pissed off when developers use the old method of making me sign in through a web view. iOS 7 needs to expand this to more services...many more.

Defaults: It's not a Mac

Open with: It's not a Mac

Live icons: With you on this one

More panels: What are panels?

Accounts framework: It's not Android

Technarchy
Dec 18, 2012, 06:39 AM
I like the look of iTunes 11.

I certainly wouldn't mind if Apple cleaned up all the native apps and got a uniform, iTunes 11-ish look

jonnyb098
Dec 18, 2012, 11:26 AM
A question I have is... does Jony Ive cringe every time he picks up his iPad or iPhone? If he hates skeumorphism so much then I can imagine its quite a horrifying experience for him to use some of the apps. :)

pear21
Dec 18, 2012, 12:18 PM
I think we will see a big change once 7 comes out, maybe some new widgets for the notification center?

fhaneef
May 27, 2013, 02:10 PM

Try telling that to Blackberry users! They didnt realise until too late

blitzer09x87
May 28, 2013, 09:53 AM
i don't think they would take the risk of releasing all the features in just one version and the time period is also quite short to add these many features, i think half of the features would be released with iOS7 and the other half would be introduced in iOS8.

beaniemyman
May 28, 2013, 10:57 AM
Hoping for a revamp but not sure it will happen.

i completely agree with you, i'm also hoping for a revamp but i dont think it will happen soon.

bushido
May 30, 2013, 11:51 AM
iOS7 needs something like an overlay that displays your most important data without having to open the app first and the old grid view one level down but i guess that would be too similar to android so apple come up with sth great and new again ;)

yes god forbid u have choices right? im so sick of stupid safari opening when i click on a link. i want the option to pick chrome as my default browser. rip cydia i miss u

Michael Goff
May 30, 2013, 12:35 PM

Live icons: With you on this one

More panels: What are panels?

Accounts framework: It's not Android

So your retort to changes is that it isn't something else? Congratulations, you're right. This isn't a Mac and it isn't Android. But that doesn't mean that it has to do something different from them for the sake of doing something different.