PDA

View Full Version : Google Releases Gmail 2.0 for iPhone and iPad

MacRumors
Dec 4, 2012, 12:05 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/04/google-releases-gmail-2-0-for-iphone-and-ipad/)

Google has updated the Gmail for iOS app (http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2012/12/the-gmail-app-for-iphone-and-ipad.html) to version 2, bringing much requested features like multiple account support, autocomplete predictions for searching, an infinite scrolling inbox, and the ability to RSVP to Google Calendar invites from within the app.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/12/gmail2.pngSix months ago, our team set out to completely rebuild the Gmail app for iPhone and iPad to give you you a faster, sleeker, and easier experience on iOS. The result? Version 2.0. With version 2.0 of the app, you'll get a totally new look and feel, plus a bunch of improvements like profile pictures in messages, numerous new animations from swivels to transitions and infinite scrolling in the message lists.

The app also adds many new time-saving features. For example, when you search, autocomplete predictions will appear as you type, shaving off precious seconds (and typos). Plus, you can RSVP to Google Calendar invites as well as +1 and comment on Google+ posts directly from the app.

Last, but certainly not least, we've added a feature many of you have been waiting for: multiple account support. You can now login to up to five Google Accounts from the menu and switch between them with a couple taps.Gmail for iOS can be downloaded free (http://appshopper.com/productivity/gmail) from the App Store. [Direct Link (https://itunes.apple.com/app/gmail/id422689480?mt=8)]

Note: Some users have reported issues downloading or updating to the new Gmail app, but Google promises the issues are only temporary (http://twitter.com/gmail/status/276023586265919489).

Article Link: Google Releases Gmail 2.0 for iPhone and iPad (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/04/google-releases-gmail-2-0-for-iphone-and-ipad/)

skinuca
Dec 4, 2012, 12:09 PM
Maybe it will replace sparrow once google or apple solve the issue. Getting the same error on iPad and iPhone.

kirky29
Dec 4, 2012, 12:10 PM
Looks like I'll be switching from Sparrow then :)

Edit - it's a beautiful app...nice and speedy too!

SuperSnake2012
Dec 4, 2012, 12:15 PM
Does anyone know if the app supports push email? How about Gmail accounts that are on other domains (my university is powered by Gmail but the email address is not gmail.com).

gotluck
Dec 4, 2012, 12:18 PM
whoa, multiple accounts yay

downloading..

markieg
Dec 4, 2012, 12:23 PM
well done google... everybody wants youtube for ipad but instead they waste time remaking gmail

intox
Dec 4, 2012, 12:24 PM
bit annoyed with the 5 accounts limit, but yay multiple accounts.

sjdigital
Dec 4, 2012, 12:26 PM
Yeah, I'm getting told that "The item you tried to buy is no longer available". I guess I'll try again tomorrow.

intox
Dec 4, 2012, 12:26 PM
Does anyone know if the app supports push email? How about Gmail accounts that are on other domains (my university is powered by Gmail but the email address is not gmail.com).

App asks if you'd like to receive Push notifications when launched, so I'd guess yes.

I'm logging into Google Apps accounts without a problem, so I guess thats a yes too.

eharley
Dec 4, 2012, 12:27 PM
Anybody having trouble with the 2-factor authentication trusting the device?

I am being asked every time I sign in to do the 2-factor authentication thing.

taxiapple
Dec 4, 2012, 12:28 PM
I get my gmail mail in the Apple mail app (along with Yahoo & Hotmail). Seems to work fine.

If I had a gmail app I would be going to two places to get my mail.

zachimal
Dec 4, 2012, 12:30 PM
I get my gmail mail in the Apple mail app (along with Yahoo & Hotmail). Seems to work fine.

Because this way offers better integration with Gmail. There's nothing wrong with another choice (especially when it's the "native" app to this email provider).

pauliaK
Dec 4, 2012, 12:30 PM
So far so good, loving new look.

GiantSteve
Dec 4, 2012, 12:31 PM
Yeah, I'm getting told that "The item you tried to buy is no longer available". I guess I'll try again tomorrow.

Delete the Gmail app from the iPhone and then go back into the app store and then install from the available updates or previously purchased apps. BTW, a great upgrade to the Gmail app.

intox
Dec 4, 2012, 12:33 PM

Gmail app is more tailored to Gmail.

Also, with push notifications from Gmail we're now getting immediate notifications when an email is sent, rather than the Fetch system that works with Apple Mail.

Redfanix
Dec 4, 2012, 12:35 PM
now google please make youtube app for iPad...

jacobss
Dec 4, 2012, 12:39 PM
Delete the Gmail app from the iPhone and then go back into the app store and then install from the available updates or previously purchased apps. BTW, a great upgrade to the Gmail app.

Worked for me, thanks!

ccmovies
Dec 4, 2012, 12:41 PM
I tried the Gmail app when it was first released and wasn't too pleased, especially not having the ability to add multiple accounts.

But, with this update, it is quite nice!

ssspinball
Dec 4, 2012, 12:42 PM
Gmail app is more tailored to Gmail.

Also, with push notifications from Gmail we're now getting immediate notifications when an email is sent, rather than the Fetch system that works with Apple Mail.

It's been possible to get push mail through Gmail using nothing but stock iOS for something like 2 years now. You set up Gmail as an Exchange account. (http://www.imore.com/beginner-tip-setup-gmail-exchange-push-emails)

MasterHowl
Dec 4, 2012, 12:44 PM
Looks nice!

It makes the Mail app in iOS look so dated...

jpcarro
Dec 4, 2012, 12:45 PM

No need to delete app first. Just go to purchased apps and install from there.

intox
Dec 4, 2012, 12:47 PM
It's been possible to get push mail through Gmail using nothing but stock iOS for something like 2 years now. You set up Gmail as an Exchange account. (http://www.imore.com/beginner-tip-setup-gmail-exchange-push-emails)

Okay its been possible, but its not something your average user knows. This works straight out of the box, like you'd imagine it to work.

GIZBUG
Dec 4, 2012, 12:50 PM
So to use this app, and no longer use the native ios mail app, what needs to be done? Input my account info into this app, then go into Mail Settings in IOS Settings, and delete my GMAIL and Exchange accounts?

1080p
Dec 4, 2012, 12:51 PM
bit annoyed with the 5 accounts limit, but yay multiple accounts.

How many Gmail accounts can 1 person possibly need?

Westside guy
Dec 4, 2012, 12:52 PM
All right! Multiple account support! Those of us with Apps accounts for work thank you for FINALLY adding this.

Now, if only it'd stop telling me "the item you tried to buy is no longer available" when I tell the App Store to update the Gmail app... :D

El3ctronics
Dec 4, 2012, 12:54 PM
Wow this app is GREAT now! Gonna give it a real shot.

OldSchoolMacGuy
Dec 4, 2012, 12:56 PM
Seems it's been pulled. Update shows up but when attempting to update the App Store gives the error that "The item you tried to buy is no longer available." Seem to remember the original Gmail app being pulled right away in similar manner.

Westside guy
Dec 4, 2012, 12:57 PM
No need to delete app first. Just go to purchased apps and install from there.

Huh. That apparently really does work. Odd...

Primejimbo
Dec 4, 2012, 01:02 PM
Looks nice!

It makes the Mail app in iOS look so dated...

a picture of an envelope, what more do you want to show for an email app? :rolleyes:

So this is the 2nd time they updated this app since iP5 been out and none for YouTube?

doug in albq
Dec 4, 2012, 01:05 PM
Visually, it looks very Windows 8-ish...all those thin fonts everywhere. Not a huge fan of this look.

Still looking for a viable reason to use this app over or in conjunction with Apple's Mail app...If anybody has any examples of how this app is better than the native iOS mail app, please do share.

Sailguy
Dec 4, 2012, 01:08 PM
1. Anybody else have the problem with the badge # not matching the total unread emails?

2. I never saw an option to activate push emails from Gmail when starting the app. Does this app automatically receive push emails or is there a place to go for this setting?

Otherwise, great looking app. For those of us with multiple gmail accounts (but no other email accounts outside of gmail), this is fantastic.

Sailguy

Primejimbo
Dec 4, 2012, 01:08 PM
Visually, it looks very Windows 8-ish...all those thin fonts everywhere. Not a huge fan of this look.

Still looking for a viable reason to use this app over or in conjunction with Apple's Mail app...If anybody has any examples of how this app is better than the native iOS mail app, please do share.

Same here, I hate the "thread" look in emails. I use it for my 1 gmail email, I use that for junk to sign up for and stuff.

TouchMint.com
Dec 4, 2012, 01:10 PM
Looks and works great so far!

MasterHowl
Dec 4, 2012, 01:11 PM
a picture of an envelope, what more do you want to show for an email app? :rolleyes:

So this is the 2nd time they updated this app since iP5 been out and none for YouTube?

No, I mean that actual app interface, not the app icon.

avanpelt
Dec 4, 2012, 01:11 PM

Agreed. Looks like it could almost be a Windows Phone app with the fonts used. I'm okay with that, though. It looks clean.

As to why I use the Gmail app over the stock mail app. . .it automatically pulls all the from addresses that I use with my Gmail account. Also, it pulls all the signatures for each from address I use. The stock mail app can do both of these things, but not without a lot of extra work. You have to manually enter each signature for each from address on your iOS device. Not fun if, like me, you do consulting work and have five or six different from addresses each with unique signatures.

Also, if I change a signature via the Gmail web interface and use the stock mail app, the signature isn't updated accordingly. If I use the Gmail app, the signature is automatically updated.

El3ctronics
Dec 4, 2012, 01:12 PM

Labels, stars, etc.

ahmet
Dec 4, 2012, 01:14 PM
Seems it's been pulled. Update shows up but when attempting to update the App Store gives the error that "The item you tried to buy is no longer available." Seem to remember the original Gmail app being pulled right away in similar manner.

just reinstall it. it worked for me ;)

ndpitch
Dec 4, 2012, 01:16 PM
now google please make youtube app for iPad...

And make an iPhone 5 version of the youtube app!

kakwvu
Dec 4, 2012, 01:21 PM
Am I missing something or is there no unified inbox option like there was in the previous version (or in Sparrow)?

gotluck
Dec 4, 2012, 01:23 PM
Am I missing something or is there no unified inbox option like there was in the previous version (or in Sparrow)?

they just put in multiple accounts so how could there have been a unified inbox in the past?

I agree it would be nice

El3ctronics
Dec 4, 2012, 01:24 PM

Biggest drawback for me as well. Though this is somewhat mitigated by the fact that you can open directly into a specific message but sliding or clicking the notification.

iMerik
Dec 4, 2012, 01:33 PM
So to use this app, and no longer use the native ios mail app, what needs to be done? Input my account info into this app, then go into Mail Settings in IOS Settings, and delete my GMAIL and Exchange accounts?
When I switched over to the Gmail app, I simply put the iOS Mail app in the background, I guess you could say. I set it to only update manually and to never give me notices or badges. This is the best option, because if you use the Share option in one of your favorite apps and choose Email, you're going to want to still have your accounts set up in iOS / Mail app, because it won't be able to use the Gmail app to send those emails.

pnoyblazed
Dec 4, 2012, 01:59 PM
come on, no built in google chat? Yeesh

Otterblue
Dec 4, 2012, 02:00 PM

Ditto. Getting this error on iTunes:

The Phazer
Dec 4, 2012, 02:02 PM
Sigh. Much worse than the old version. Why is trying to fit information on screen now considered bad?

OldSchoolMacGuy
Dec 4, 2012, 02:04 PM
just reinstall it. it worked for me ;)

Thats what I ended up doing and it worked fine. Had to do it both on my iPad and iPhone.

whyrichard
Dec 4, 2012, 02:08 PM
Labels, stars, etc.

SEARCHING.

ios mail app is a slog withs searching...

davidphalen
Dec 4, 2012, 02:15 PM
Does it have "Mark all as read"???

plawler
Dec 4, 2012, 02:45 PM

No, it hasn't been pulled. IF you can't install via Update, just delete the App and reinstall it.

BIRDinho
Dec 4, 2012, 03:09 PM
No, it hasn't been pulled. IF you can't install via Update, just delete the App and reinstall it.

I've never had the app installed and I get the same error message when trying to download it.

dstedman
Dec 4, 2012, 03:23 PM
Wow - that font is really thin. Hmmm...

gluckett
Dec 4, 2012, 03:31 PM
SEARCHING.

ios mail app is a slog withs searching...

My number one reason as well!

sweetbrat
Dec 4, 2012, 03:34 PM
I've never had the app installed and I get the same error message when trying to download it.

I was having the same problem, but it seems to be working now. At least, it is for me.

intox
Dec 4, 2012, 03:38 PM
Use Google Apps for work, have a few because of that, and a few personal accounts i've accumulated over the years, then a couple webmaster accounts for a few websites I am involved in.

scott.peterson4
Dec 4, 2012, 04:07 PM
Does anyone know what font Google uses for the text on the app login screen? Specifically the text for "Sign In" "Sign Up"?

Prototypical
Dec 4, 2012, 04:11 PM
Wow - that font is really thin. Hmmm...

And the HTML / image-based emails are incredibly hard to read (small fonts + 3.5" screen = no bueno).

...I realize this opens the door for the Android fanatics to pound their chests about 4.7" screens and such :rolleyes: but for an existing 4S user it's a bit tough to actually read my emails.

Still, the app is absolutely beautiful and if nothing else it is a not-so-subtle reminder just how desperately iOS needs a refresh. Shifting between the Mail app and the new Gmail app feels a five year gap in design languages. I might even switch back from Outlook.com to Gmail as my backup email account now that the mobile experience is better than the web access.

jason2811
Dec 4, 2012, 07:26 PM
Any idea how to hide the email previews on the lockscreen? Is it possible to just show the sender?

flameproof
Dec 4, 2012, 07:39 PM
Install issues for upgraders:

on the iPhone, update via App Store didn't work. But the link via Safari worked for me.

Alternative you can try, search Gmail in the App Store and update from there.

scottishwildcat
Dec 5, 2012, 02:16 AM

It should and does work "fine", but you miss out on Gmail features like the priority Inbox. Managing an IMAP Gmail account is also just a bit of a pain in regular mail apps that don't know about Gmail archiving and its nonstandard use of folders as 'labels'.

haruhiko
Dec 5, 2012, 03:02 AM
It should and does work "fine", but you miss out on Gmail features like the priority Inbox. Managing an IMAP Gmail account is also just a bit of a pain in regular mail apps that don't know about Gmail archiving and its nonstandard use of folders as 'labels'.

I prefer the MS Exchange server of Gmail instead of via IMAP.

mankar4
Dec 5, 2012, 09:24 AM
This is a great improvement. I still stand by windows phone as having the best email client though. Everything else about it (with exception of the depth of social media integration), however, sucks.

xizar
Dec 5, 2012, 12:00 PM

Six. Obviously.

fortheus
Dec 5, 2012, 09:26 PM
1. Not native apps. Thus caching is horrible
2. Small fonts/not optimized
3. No swipe to delete
4. ....

I don't understand why people hates apple mail app. If you setup GMAIL as exchange, the benefit of using GMAIL apps is very minimum like unread mail and priority inbox.

I read all my emails/throw it away directly. If you have to many unread emails due to newsletter, then start unsubscribe from it

Priority inbox is not that powerful. If you feel that email is from important person, then set VIP list.

Stars = Label

Label = folder

if you feel it's important email and need follow up, just move to starred folder. Another question is why you need to put label/folder and browse the whole mail in folder while you can just search? Exchange search is much better now

If you don't know how powerful exchange is and blame apple mail app. Then you just not learn enough.

Date, contact detections, etc is powerful feature built in to apple mail app.

Any other feature that I missed from GMAIL app that is not workable using apple mail app?

tedmyoung
Dec 7, 2012, 10:47 AM
Anyone know if there's a way to save an email message for use offline (for my wi-fi-only iPad)?

;ted

HankHowdy
Dec 8, 2012, 03:56 PM
Can contacts be synced? That's the only reason I have my gmail on exchange with the native email app.

adm.hpe
Dec 9, 2012, 05:23 AM
Can contacts be synced? That's the only reason I have my gmail on exchange with the native email app.

No - you still need to sign in to Gmail on Exchange, but you can turn Mail > Off and use the Gmail 2.0 app.

That's what I do.

HankHowdy
Dec 9, 2012, 11:09 AM
No - you still need to sign in to Gmail on Exchange, but you can turn Mail > Off and use the Gmail 2.0 app.

That's what I do.

Then you have two services on push. Eh like to keep it at one.

whsbuss
Dec 14, 2012, 08:08 PM
Now that Google is phasing out active sync, we may be forced to use the Gmail app for push email. I just wish you could change the default sound notification.... its too soft for me. At least make it choose-able from the installed tones.

HankHowdy
Dec 16, 2012, 09:45 AM
Now that Google is phasing out active sync, we may be forced to use the Gmail app for push email. I just wish you could change the default sound notification.... its too soft for me. At least make it choose-able from the installed tones.

I have already stopped using exchange and have started using the gmail app. For my contacts and calendar I went into other section of setup and set them both up separately so they sync with my phone.

Just being proactive for what's to come. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/16/2atu3y5u.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/16/uta7e7yg.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/16/5avazadu.jpg

Using carddav and caldav for contacts and calendar is just like setting them up with exchange.

whsbuss
Dec 16, 2012, 09:52 AM
Not me. I'm done with Google. All moved over to iCloud, and setup gmail forwarding so as not to miss anything.

HankHowdy
Dec 18, 2012, 11:56 PM
I might have a problem with this app. If I get an email from a person that is not in my contacts list, how do I add them to my contacts list? I see no option to do do so.

Egobudike
Dec 19, 2012, 03:45 AM
Good work apple..multiple accounts is a big news..may be just 5 but ok its fine..would love to use it as soon as it comes on the floor..

WilfredRhodes
Dec 25, 2012, 11:31 AM
I recently bought my new iPhone.

I do not have any issue with gmail app. It looks quite decent. But in my opinion (others can disagree), gmail app in android looks better than iphone app.

talk
Dec 26, 2012, 06:43 AM
1. Unified inbox - I need to switch between the few accounts
2. Add Contact is not available
3. auto folder complete when moving an item from inbox

stckhj90
Dec 26, 2012, 07:24 AM
Worked for me, thanks!
http://www.*****************/1.jpg
http://www.*****************/2.jpg

hakr100
Dec 26, 2012, 09:13 AM
While the new version of Gmail handles "multiple accounts," it doesn't seem to do that unless they are all Gmail accounts. If you have email on a non-gmail account, you still have to use a different app to receive and send email on that account. Right? :confused:

patent10021
Jan 1, 2013, 12:38 AM
question

why would you use this when you can check google mail in iOS simply by adding an account?