PDA

View Full Version : Bad news good news. 50% of 60B to just 25

firewood
Dec 4, 2012, 04:23 PM
Canalys was reported on techcrunch as saying the top 25 developers took in over 50% of all app store revenue.

But that's reported to be growing to $60B by ABI research. Which means that nearly $30B of revenue is available to be made by smaller developers not in the top 25. ... I'll take my 0.001% of that please. :)

ArtOfWarfare
Dec 5, 2012, 09:18 AM
In my experience, if you want to get money, sell on the Mac App Store, not the iOS App Store. My plans:

- Make a few awesome Mac App Store apps to get a name for myself.
- Get a lot of fans of my Mac apps.
- Make apps for iOS and have all my Mac app fans know about them.
- They all get my iOS apps too.
- That puts me in the top charts for iOS.
- My iOS apps now have great visibility and get downloaded a lot, too. I let these users know that I have apps on the Mac app store, too.
- Take over both stores like Angry Birds.
- Rule the world.

MattInOz
Dec 5, 2012, 09:30 PM
How many of the top 25 started small though?

ArtOfWarfare
Dec 5, 2012, 10:02 PM
How many of the top 25 started small though?

How many companies don't start small? About the only time it seems like that would happen is the company is a product of another institution (IE, a larger company split into multiple), in which case I'm not sure if it's really fair to say that the company "started".

KarlJay
Dec 18, 2012, 11:41 AM
That's a HUGE exponential distribution. It also seems that Apple has a heavy favor towards the few that share the most. Given most of the apps I've seen, I can't say that I wouldn't do the same if I were Apple.