Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

speekez

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
I'm about to order a Powersupport screen protection film for my new iphone5 and wondering if I should also buy one for a new ipad4 on the way. I've always preferred the crystal version of the Powersupport film, as the anti-glare I feel adds a bit of haze to images. This is my first ipad though and not sure if screen protection is necessary or not. The ipad will be in an Apple smart case, so the screen will only be exposed when using it -- unlike an iphone where I just use a incases snapcase and just let the screen remain exposed in my pocket -- more reason to protect the screen. Is the ipad screen prone to scratching with normal use and/or exposure to rings/jewelry/watches. We have a 6 month old and thinking of showing movies to her on it on it once in a while -- maybe another reason for protection.

Anyhow, just wanted to hear if folks are using the protective film on their ipads, powersupport or not.
cheers!

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Same. I've never used one and never had any of my screens get scratched.

susa

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2009
Canada
mine scratched somehow

The skins for my ipad mini arrived about 5 days after the ipad during which time I particularly babied my ipad. When I was cleaning the screen in preparation to apply the protector, two parallel streaks about two inches long would not come off. Scratches already :(. They can't be very deep however because after putting the screen protector on I don't see them.

Before this I saw a YouTube vid in which a guy was trying to scratch a mini with a knife and coins, but couldn't. Must have been fake. I had the feeling it was. It did have that air about it. (He must have used one or two of the dummy ipad minis you can get on ebay for about $16 ea. if I remember correctly).

If I were you I'd get one or full body. It's not interfering with using a stylus or anything, (and I really like the brand you have in mind, but in matte. It's cool, leaves no little bubbles, and seems easier to maintain because it doesn't seem to show fingerprints/smudges as much. Good luck whatever you decide.

MacAttacked

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2011
2.5 years of using an iPad, 4 years of using an iPhone and I never had a screen protector, nor 1 scratch on anything.

I do however get tired of cleaning the glass.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Yes but it's a subjective matter just as it has always been with every device out there. Do what works for you. If you want random opinions from people there are countless screen protector threads that you can refer to.

j.benj

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2012
I so use one on my mini and iPhone but I do not use one on my iPad 3. My logic is I put them on the devices that leave the house. Silly, I know, but I like to keep my electronics in pristine condition if I can.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Used to and now I don't. I should get one for the anti glare purposes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.