PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook powerup oddity..

Indohottie
Sep 19, 2005, 07:40 PM
Hey...

Thanks in advance for the help..

I have a 12 in G4 pb.. rev d.. 1.5 ghz G4.. superdrive.. recently upgraded to 1.25 gb RAM..

Today I booted up the pb which i have connected to a bunch of periphials.. including an eye tv and two external 200 gig hds.. and it booted and stopped at the blue screen.. just the blank blue screen.. so i unplugged all the extras and booted up and it worked just fine.. so after booting with different extras plugged in i found that with my external hds on, the computer refuses to boot..

After booting the computer will recognize the hds, but only after a much longer time connected then it had before... I tried switching back to the old ram, and it didnt change the output.. still the blue screen..

ne ideas on what is going on?

varmit
Sep 19, 2005, 08:25 PM
Hey...

Thanks in advance for the help..

I have a 12 in G4 pb.. rev d.. 1.5 ghz G4.. superdrive.. recently upgraded to 1.25 gb RAM..

Today I booted up the pb which i have connected to a bunch of periphials.. including an eye tv and two external 200 gig hds.. and it booted and stopped at the blue screen.. just the blank blue screen.. so i unplugged all the extras and booted up and it worked just fine.. so after booting with different extras plugged in i found that with my external hds on, the computer refuses to boot..

After booting the computer will recognize the hds, but only after a much longer time connected then it had before... I tried switching back to the old ram, and it didnt change the output.. still the blue screen..

ne ideas on what is going on?
I don't know how you have your external drives formatted, or which version OS X, but I believe your Mac is scanning what is on your external drives. Testing out the hardware and making sure the drives are ok. How long did you let it boot? Sometimes if you just let it take its time, the next reboot wont take as long.

Indohottie
Sep 19, 2005, 09:02 PM
here is more info:

running 10.4.2... hard drives r formated in Win XP..

I will try and run disk utility..

edinz
Sep 19, 2005, 09:34 PM
You didn't mention whether the two external HDDs were USB or FireWire.

Both USB and Firewire external hard drives need additional external power - the ports do not provide enough power on their own to run the external hard disk drives.

Tiger (OS10.4) will support FAT32 and also NTFS file system formatted hard disk drives. However, Spotlight will try to catalogue them when they first are attached, and that can take a long time, especially via USB on a Powerbook.

E.

varmit
Sep 19, 2005, 09:34 PM
here is more info:

running 10.4.2... hard drives r formated in Win XP..

I will try and run disk utility..
Formatted ub NTFS you mean. That might be the reason right there. Its probably taking its good old time reading those disks on startup.

Indohottie
Sep 19, 2005, 09:51 PM
sorry.. they are both in usb/fw cases with external power sources..

The thing is I have used this setup like this for some time and never noticed this same issue..

Frank