Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamnotagoldfish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2005
I am interested in purchasing the iWork suite, in particular for Pages, however I have a query and would be very grateful if anybody could provide assistance. I know Pages supports the import and export of Word documents but am curious as to how well implemented this function is? Exporting accurate, error free word documents which may be viewed in perfect working order by users of Office for Mac and Windows would be a necessity and I'd like to know how well Pages does this job?

Thank you for your time.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
I'm not a user of Office (only when I have to be) but so far I've been very impressed with Word export/import. It also does a killer job making HTML files, I don't know why people complain. :confused:

Verto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2005
Denton, TX
iamnotagoldfish said:
I am interested in purchasing the iWork suite, in particular for Pages, however I have a query and would be very grateful if anybody could provide assistance. I know Pages supports the import and export of Word documents but am curious as to how well implemented this function is? Exporting accurate, error free word documents which may be viewed in perfect working order by users of Office for Mac and Windows would be a necessity and I'd like to know how well Pages does this job?

Thank you for your time.

My exports appear fine, but I have not tried exporting anything containing heavy formatting, images, etc, just standard multi-page essays with minimal frills.

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
iamnotagoldfish said:

Thank you for your time.
I've recently done a short paper with embedded pics (~8 pages) in Pages and then exported it to word, as that's what the agency wanted and of course I couldn't embed the pics worth a damn in Word. Anyways the converted file appeared okay in Word (using Office X), though the text didn't line up exactly the same as in the Pages document. Didn't work on it after that though, but my gut reaction is it works okay but you don't get an exact word copy as the Pages file, only close, but close is a hundred times better than trying to get Word to behave while doing picture formating and embedding.

switchr92

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2005
Word

I bought iWork '05 instead of Office X, and it can't compare. Word is just an easier, more powerful word processor to use. I prefer keynote to powerpoint, but not by much. I would definetely rate word higher than pages, and office higher than iwork. Powerpoint is definetely usable, but use mail+address book+iCal instead of entourage (way better).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.