Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eddie1976

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
Hi there, I have the following situation.
We have +/- 50 Macs currently logging in locally, bound to the AD and using shares through SMB towards the Windows servers.
They are all 10.7.5 Clients.
We als o have a Mac server 10.7.5.
What we want is the following: Attach the Mac server to a NAS, HFS+ formatted. We want all the data that's used by the clients on the Windows shares getting moved to the HFS+ storage.
So, Now I want to log in with my AD account in my mac, and make the connection to the storage on the NAS.
What is the best way to do so, and can I use the AD permissions groups to give the permissions. Do I need to import the AD accounts in the OSX server (how?) A lot of questions, I hope someone can give me the an idea in the good direction ;-)

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
There is no reason to use HFS+ formatted drives on a NAS box unless that NAS box happens to be a Time Capsule or an Airport Extreme. More likely, NAS drives are formatted EXT4 (on Synology and other Linux-based NAS boxes).

Many NAS boxes offer the ability to manage accounts on Windows (AD) or on OSX or locally on the NAS box. I have a small setup with roughly a half dozen machines hitting 3 NAS boxes and I manage all the accounts on each NAS box except for the Time Capsule which only uses a disk password (for TM backups only).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.