Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Anyone know of a good Mac Mini carrying case that would carry the computer as well as cables? I often end up having to work on projects over the holidays, and they are things I cannot do on my iPad. I would like to be able to safely transport my Mac Mini and cables, and a bonus would be if it could also hold my magic trackpad and wireless keyboard.

I suppose a generic laptop bag would work too, but I'm looking for something more form fitting and compact. Any suggestions? I'm not having much luck just searching for it.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Anyone know of a good Mac Mini carrying case that would carry the computer as well as cables? I often end up having to work on projects over the holidays, and they are things I cannot do on my iPad. I would like to be able to safely transport my Mac Mini and cables, and a bonus would be if it could also hold my magic trackpad and wireless keyboard.

I suppose a generic laptop bag would work too, but I'm looking for something more form fitting and compact. Any suggestions? I'm not having much luck just searching for it.

I know you already have a Mac Mini, but sounds like you would have made a better choice going with a laptop (especially since a Mac Mini is nothing more than a laptop without keyboard/trackpad/display). With that said, your best bet is to go with a laptop bag that is heavily padded. You could probably get one of those hard cases with the interior foam and cut a place out of the foam for your Mac Mini, but that seems a little excessive (and expensive) for something you are going to haul only a few times.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
I know you already have a Mac Mini, but sounds like you would have made a better choice going with a laptop (especially since a Mac Mini is nothing more than a laptop without keyboard/trackpad/display). With that said, your best bet is to go with a laptop bag that is heavily padded. You could probably get one of those hard cases with the interior foam and cut a place out of the foam for your Mac Mini, but that seems a little excessive (and expensive) for something you are going to haul only a few times.

I much prefer an iPad to a laptop--have never liked the laptop form factor as far as portability and ease of use, and the iPad largely solved that problem for me. But about once a year, I need to travel with a full blown computer, and I think my Mac Mini would be plenty portable enough to do that. In fact, even more portable and much lighter than the standard laptop.

I think it would be amazing if I could use the iPad as the monitor for the Mac Mini. I could fit the whole setup in my backpack!

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I much prefer an iPad to a laptop--have never liked the laptop form factor as far as portability and ease of use, and the iPad largely solved that problem for me. But about once a year, I need to travel with a full blown computer, and I think my Mac Mini would be plenty portable enough to do that. In fact, even more portable and much lighter than the standard laptop.

I think it would be amazing if I could use the iPad as the monitor for the Mac Mini. I could fit the whole setup in my backpack!

You missed the point of my comment. I didn't mean a laptop as a replacement for your iPad, rather as a replacement for your desktop/Mac Mini. You can leave them hooked to a monitor (even a keyboard and mouse if you would like) but when you need to move it (i.e. work from home), you have everything all bundled together and away you go. I do this all the time.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
You missed the point of my comment. I didn't mean a laptop as a replacement for your iPad, rather as a replacement for your desktop/Mac Mini. You can leave them hooked to a monitor (even a keyboard and mouse if you would like) but when you need to move it (i.e. work from home), you have everything all bundled together and away you go. I do this all the time.

I do understand what you're saying--but I like the fact that the Mini is a full blown computer that I can also just pick up and take with me. My parents house is usually when I would need to bring it along and they have a monitor, mouse, and keyboard I can hook up to it. Not that a laptop ISN'T a full blown computer, but a) I have never liked the laptop form factor, even before the iPad existed, and b) the specific software I'm referring to is just way more comfortable to use on a non-laptop.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
I do understand what you're saying--but I like the fact that the Mini is a full blown computer that I can also just pick up and take with me. My parents house is usually when I would need to bring it along and they have a monitor, mouse, and keyboard I can hook up to it. Not that a laptop ISN'T a full blown computer, but a) I have never liked the laptop form factor, even before the iPad existed, and b) the specific software I'm referring to is just way more comfortable to use on a non-laptop.

SO Back to your question pelican makes a case for you.

http://www.casesbypelican.com/apple-mac-mini-1450.htm

but I have made cases with this it is a bit too big but looks cool and is very sturdy. I do not know how good this seller is.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HD-DOUBLE-H...626?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0cffdd82

ZenMoto

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2012
Wow, that Pelican case looks like the perfect solution! It's a little more bulky and extreme than I want though.

I'm also looking for a bag to fit the Mini, but I'd prefer something softer, than can compress and fit into my backpack - for times when I need to carry less peripherals and the like.

It's funny, how you asked for help to find a case, and then got bombarded with replies about how you're doing it wrong. If you need a case, you need a case, and your computing habits really shouldn't matter.

CHAOS STEP

macrumors 6502
Wow, that Pelican case looks like the perfect solution! It's a little more bulky and extreme than I want though.

I'm also looking for a bag to fit the Mini, but I'd prefer something softer, than can compress and fit into my backpack - for times when I need to carry less peripherals and the like.

It's funny, how you asked for help to find a case, and then got bombarded with replies about how you're doing it wrong. If you need a case, you need a case, and your computing habits really shouldn't matter.

No, you are wrong. Please go out and buy a Macbook Pro, or at the very least a budget option Macbook Air ... :D

Now, here is the answer to your question;

http://www.123macmini.com/accessories/guide/bags.html

I think that Pelican one is a bit OTT.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.