Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jfancelet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
I know that there are lots of threads on this topic already but I have been unable to solve my problem. A month ago, my 06(?), 13", white, Macbook, Intel core 2 duo, stopped charging completely. The mag safe connector is clean and free from fraying, the light stays green all the time and the battery symbol has an "x" on it. When you unplug the mag safe, the computer immediately shuts down. Removing the battery while in use has no effect. In the system profiler under the power tab it says

Charge Information:
Fully charged: No
Charging: No
Condition: Check Battery
Battery Installed: No

I tried resetting the SMS and PRAM without success. So, I gave in and bought a new aftermarket battery. It came partially charged (4/5 green dots) and the mag safe cycles from green to orange but the battery says 0% and the system profiler claims that it is charging. Can anyone help me to get this thing to charge once again?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I tried resetting the SMS and PRAM without success.
PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with battery/power/charging issues. Resetting it will not help. Only resetting the SMC addresses such issues.
So, I gave in and bought a new aftermarket battery.
I wouldn't trust or recommend any non-Apple battery, due to the number of problems reported with "knockoff" batteries. Also, there is no assurance that knockoff batteries have the same charging technology that Apple uses, involving the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the Mac's logic board.

Battery Replacement

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Have the exact same issue. Did not work. Any other suggestions? Could it plain-ol be the logic board?

There are three primary components of the charging system: the battery, the power adapter and the logic board. If you rule out the first two as possible sources of problems, that leaves the logic board as the most likely culprit. Let Apple check it out and they can tell you with certainty what your problem is.

planemad

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2012
Breakthrough!

Here's some hope for those with this problem. I'v tried everything I could after the macbook I bought of craigslist stopped charging after I returned to India from the US. The Apple store checked it and said it had undergone unauthorized service and there was signs of liquid damage.

I pretty much resigned to my fate of purchasing a dud and attempted to everything from beating the crap out of it to giving the board an alcohol bath with no change in the situation. The behaviour was random, sometimes the magsafe would light up orange when powered down, but would not charge, other times there would be no light.

After losing hope on repairing the electronics, yesterday I thought of earthing the magsafe. (My magsafe European style plug does not get earthed in the Indian wall outlets). I had to use a little strip of wire to manually make the earth contact. Nothing changed.

After a few hours, I noticed something different in the task bar. The battery icon had changed after 3 months, it was charging!

I then had to prepare a hot cup of chai to contain myself. While I cannot confirm it was the earthing the fixed the problem, its certainly something you could try.

Service Droid

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2012
Aus
In my experience most non apple batteries are pretty reliable, I've seen them in use on a large scale with few problems.

White MacBook core 2 duo you say.

The logic board could be the problem but this model has a separate battery connector on the top case, a very cheap part, about 20 bux from memory. I've seen it be the cause of symptoms you describe more than once.

The components of the charging system in your model are the power adapter, the MagSafe board, the logic board, the battery connector and the battery. First two have been ruled out as has the battery most likely. My money would be on the battery connector though if its the logic board then you're pretty much out of luck.

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
There are three primary components of the charging system: the battery, the power adapter and the logic board. If you rule out the first two as possible sources of problems, that leaves the logic board as the most likely culprit. Let Apple check it out and they can tell you with certainty what your problem is.

Thanks! We're way out of warranty though!

In my experience most non apple batteries are pretty reliable, I've seen them in use on a large scale with few problems.

White MacBook core 2 duo you say.

The logic board could be the problem but this model has a separate battery connector on the top case, a very cheap part, about 20 bux from memory. I've seen it be the cause of symptoms you describe more than once.

The components of the charging system in your model are the power adapter, the MagSafe board, the logic board, the battery connector and the battery. First two have been ruled out as has the battery most likely. My money would be on the battery connector though if its the logic board then you're pretty much out of luck.

Battery connector you say?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.