PDA

View Full Version : 'Grand Theft Auto: Vice City' Arrives for iOS

MacRumors
Dec 5, 2012, 10:11 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/05/grand-theft-auto-vice-city-arrives-for-ios/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/12/vicecity-150x150.jpgRockstar Games has released the iOS port of their blockbuster hit Grand Theft Auto: Vice City tonight. It's essentially the same game you played in 2002 but with touch enhancements.

Our sister site TouchArcade has a walkthrough video (http://toucharcade.com/2012/12/05/ta-plays-grand-theft-auto-vice-city/) of the game that shows off some of the gameplay on iOS.On touch devices, you control Tommy with virtual buttons and a roving virtual stick. It isn't the best solution in the world, but it works OK. Punch, car jack, and sprint are presented on the right half of the screen. Movement is available on the left. When you jump into a car, the controls change. A two-button directional pad replaces the stick, and car-specific actions like hand brake pop up on the right.

We haven't noticed many notable mobile-specific features. Our gut says that the textures on the buildings in particular have been cleaned up a bit. Also, the frame rate seems a little bit smoother, maybe on par with the PC and Mac versions4wPf-hMzMz4
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City is available on the App Store for $4.99. [Direct Link (http://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/grand-theft-auto-vice-city/id578448682?mt=8)]

Article Link: 'Grand Theft Auto: Vice City' Arrives for iOS (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/05/grand-theft-auto-vice-city-arrives-for-ios/)

ChrisMan287
Dec 5, 2012, 10:23 PM
No iPad? :(

Bathplug
Dec 5, 2012, 10:39 PM

It's a universal app. So yes iPad.

Processor
Dec 5, 2012, 10:45 PM
Onscreen keyboard is always in front of the game blocking some control buttons... IOS 6.01/iPad 3rd Gen

mrsir2009
Dec 5, 2012, 10:58 PM
Been waiting for this - GTAIII was probably the best game I purchased for my iOS devices, it provides almost unlimited entertainment for only $6.49 :)

----------

Yeah, it works on all iOS devices - My friend played GTAIII on his iPad 1.

Bathplug
Dec 5, 2012, 11:14 PM
Onscreen keyboard is always in front of the game blocking some control buttons... IOS 6.01/iPad 3rd Gen

Had the same problem. Reinstalled the app a few times but this keyboard glitch still appeared. To fix it close the game then go to the spotlight search area and dock and merge the keyboard then you should be able to relaunch the game without the keyboard being in the way.

pauliaK
Dec 5, 2012, 11:40 PM
This is probably the game that I've spent the most time playing ever. However I doubt I'd play it again. I've bought GTA III once it had launched and never actually played it :-). Nevertheless happy to see quality games like this coming to iOS.

Obi-Wan Kubrick
Dec 6, 2012, 12:04 AM
Why is the game full screen (4:3) and not 16:9? The PS2 version had 16:9 support.

iSayuSay
Dec 6, 2012, 12:08 AM
For something like iPhone or iPad, GTA VC obviously leaves too many things to be done. Some missions are ridiculously difficult to be solved using proper controller/keyboard, and now it's full touch control.

Not to mention it has so many challenge, collectibles and unlockables. It was fun, In fact I completed the whole game 100% but I just can't do it anymore on an iPad.

Yeah.. Expect nothin less than just brag off that my iOS device have Vice City

antonis
Dec 6, 2012, 01:19 AM
For something like iPhone or iPad, GTA VC obviously leaves too many things to be done. Some missions are ridiculously difficult to be solved using proper controller/keyboard, and now it's full touch control.

Not to mention it has so many challenge, collectibles and unlockables. It was fun, In fact I completed the whole game 100% but I just can't do it anymore on an iPad.

Yeah.. Expect nothin less than just brag off that my iOS device have Vice City

Indeed, that's always the biggest challenge for any game that is ported to iOS and coming from a different platform. Touch controls sometimes just can't do the job for games that made for mouse and - lots of - keys. They do shine, though, in games made for touch devices in the first place.

maclancer
Dec 6, 2012, 01:26 AM
It has 5 stars out of 5 in the app store. Must be pretty good the game :)

initialsBB
Dec 6, 2012, 01:37 AM
I would like to get it, but touch control aiming was just too frustrating with GTA III (driving and the rest was fine). I doubt they made it better with Vice City.

jabingla2810
Dec 6, 2012, 02:34 AM
Why is the game full screen (4:3) and not 16:9? The PS2 version had 16:9 support.

What device are you playing on?

iPhone 5 has widescreen.

ChrisMan287
Dec 6, 2012, 02:39 AM
It's a universal app. So yes iPad.
Yeah, it works on all iOS devices - My friend played GTAIII on his iPad 1.

Well the iPad isn't listed under "requirements" so I assumed it wouldn't work but it does. I completed GTA 3 so this came out just in time :D

SBlue1
Dec 6, 2012, 03:19 AM
2002??? Holy cow! Is it that old? I am getting old, time just zooms by! :eek:

mixel
Dec 6, 2012, 03:37 AM
2002??? Holy cow! Is it that old? I am getting old, time just zooms by! :eek:
Given your early Workbench shell icon avatar I'd guess you've been getting old for a while. :) (I totally relate, haha)

In other news, GTA5 is looking lovely.

mrsir2009
Dec 6, 2012, 04:43 AM
Indeed, that's always the biggest challenge for any game that is ported to iOS and coming from a different platform. Touch controls sometimes just can't do the job for games that made for mouse and - lots of - keys. They do shine, though, in games made for touch devices in the first place.

IMO GTAIII was sweet as with touch controls, and so far Vice City seems to be as well... They didn't a pretty good implementation. Certainly wasn't half-assed.

yly3
Dec 6, 2012, 05:12 AM
Just played it for around 49 minutes on my iPhone 5. It is fullscreen and the controls are a bit better I think than GTA3.
God that gorgeous soundtracks. This game diserves a buy for the music only !
Time to put the entire OST on my iPod.

Colpeas
Dec 6, 2012, 05:13 AM
If Rockstar is going to stick to its 10th anniversary editions, we might see San Andreas coming in 2014. Yeah!

In the meantime, lets enjoy Vice City ;) Such a shame there's no multiplayer (i know that it was the same with the original vice city...)

kirky29
Dec 6, 2012, 05:21 AM
How awesome!

I remember I had this on PS2, I got through over 11 discs! I wore this game out...bad.

The only game that tops this...is San Andreas.

rmwebs
Dec 6, 2012, 07:43 AM

Did you even watch the video?

The game IS 16:9 - its just the cutscenes that run at 4:3 or letterbox

It's based on the PC version, which had way better graphic abilities than the PS2 version.

imgonephishin
Dec 6, 2012, 08:03 AM
Just played it for around 49 minutes on my iPhone 5.

Could you be more specific with the amount of time you played? ;)

Caseynd
Dec 6, 2012, 09:36 AM
Is there a bluetooth controller or something like it that would work with this instead of touch control? That would rock!

Jwood2313
Dec 6, 2012, 10:29 AM
HATE virtual controls.

OzyOly
Dec 6, 2012, 11:09 AM
They've really paid attention to the shortcomings of GTA III touch controls. I've gone and collected all the hidden packages in a helicopter before the first mission and it handles beautifully. :)

antonis
Dec 6, 2012, 12:01 PM
IMO GTAIII was sweet as with touch controls, and so far Vice City seems to be as well... They didn't a pretty good implementation. Certainly wasn't half-assed.

Thanks for the feedback. In that case I think I'll give it a try on the iPad.

palmerc2
Dec 6, 2012, 12:15 PM
This was one of my favorite games on PS2, I've never cared for virtual controls on the iPhone - but I may just give it a shot here....something to keep me entertained on all the flights I take.

brinycbri
Dec 6, 2012, 12:24 PM
any cheats?

iapplelove
Dec 6, 2012, 12:27 PM
For some reason this was my least favorite of them all and I was and still am a gta fan.

Dec 6, 2012, 12:30 PM
any cheats?

Why would you pay for a game and then just cheat?!

Think it over!

satchow
Dec 6, 2012, 12:32 PM
Some missions were borderline impossible on the PS2, I wonder how much more difficult they'll be using virtual controls.

trevelyn
Dec 6, 2012, 01:43 PM
Why would you pay for a game and then just cheat?!

Think it over!

Because its fun!

trunten
Dec 6, 2012, 05:00 PM
... touch enhancements.

oxymoron

BigTroll
Dec 6, 2012, 10:20 PM

Same **** on my iPad 4th Gen had to play with it to get rid of it still comes back sometimes

meatballs
Dec 7, 2012, 07:52 PM
I was looking forward to this release but sadly it drops frames to the point of being unplayable on my gen 3 iPad.

shinji
Dec 8, 2012, 02:45 AM
Are the controls that bad in practice? In this video, the car driving is a bit off...don't know if that's the person playing, or the controls just aren't good.

And is aiming decent? Can you touch where you want to aim?

meatballs
Dec 8, 2012, 04:33 PM
Are the controls that bad in practice? In this video, the car driving is a bit off...don't know if that's the person playing, or the controls just aren't good.

And is aiming decent? Can you touch where you want to aim?

The controls are fine, you can position them anywhere you want. The problem I have is that there is too much lag and dropped frames, this is especially noticeable while driving making it difficult. The helicopter is more or less impossible to fly as it just goes round and round.

joshwithachance
Dec 8, 2012, 04:34 PM
Anybody else have the bug on the iPad where the keyboard pops up the moment you open the game and it never goes away? It makes the game unplayable for me :(

Gonky
Dec 9, 2012, 01:45 PM
Does it have Game Center support this time?

ChrisMan287
Dec 9, 2012, 05:31 PM
How far along in the game are you guys?

I was looking forward to this release but sadly it drops frames to the point of being unplayable on my gen 3 iPad.

I don't have that issue on my second gen.

Anybody else have the bug on the iPad where the keyboard pops up the moment you open the game and it never goes away?

Luckily I don't.

Bossworld
Dec 19, 2012, 12:21 PM
Is it much better/fluid on the iPhone 4S as opposed to the iPhone 4?