PDA

View Full Version : Aebs shared drive write enabled in win7?

radiologyman
Dec 5, 2012, 10:55 PM
Hello, I got Aebs shared drive and has formatted it on MBA as extended journaled partition. It can save 10gb files so definitely not fat32 formatted. My understanding is that my 64 bit win 7 pc is not supposed to be able to add files to such partition but it does. Should I worry that such practice is prone to data corruption/loss? Sorry if posted to wrong forum.

karter16
Dec 5, 2012, 11:00 PM
Could it be partitioned as exFAT?

exFAT removes the 4GB filesize limit and is read/writeable by windows and osx 10.6+

radiologyman
Dec 6, 2012, 11:17 AM
Could it be partitioned as exFAT?

exFAT removes the 4GB filesize limit and is read/writeable by windows and osx 10.6+
I don't think MacBook could format it as exFat

crazzyeddie
Dec 6, 2012, 01:26 PM
The AEBS is doing the read/writes for the Windows machine, so its not directly writing to the partition. This is normal behavior for network drives. Similarly, your Mac can write to an NTFS partition shared by a Windows 7 computer.

mwhities
Dec 6, 2012, 02:17 PM

This should help you.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH5819

karter16
Dec 6, 2012, 02:38 PM

um, yes it can.

----------

Hello, I got Aebs shared drive and has formatted it on MBA as extended journaled partition. It can save 10gb files so definitely not fat32 formatted. My understanding is that my 64 bit win 7 pc is not supposed to be able to add files to such partition but it does. Should I worry that such practice is prone to data corruption/loss? Sorry if posted to wrong forum.

Do you have the AirPort Utility for windows installed? That allows you to access shared files on an Airport Extreme mounted disk from windows computers - that would likely explain your scenario?

radiologyman
Dec 7, 2012, 06:39 AM
I do have airport utility for windows installed, thanks, guys!