Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brannigan's Law

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
I've been asked to put together a workspace / file server for our design department and I have a few questions.

I have two 3TB hard drives that I'd like to use for the storage. I was about to set these up in RAID 1 on an old PowerPC G5 that we have, but I quickly found out that there is a 2TB limit on these machines. Therefore, it looks like I will have to buy an older Intel Mac Pro or a Mac Mini (with an external HD enclosure). I'd prefer to keep costs at or below $1,000. Any suggestions?

Also, I need a good way to copy only new or modified data to our off-site storage. I'd like to do this on a nightly basis. Any ideas?

switon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
RE: rsync...

Also, I need a good way to copy only new or modified data to our off-site storage. I'd like to do this on a nightly basis. Any ideas?

Hi Brannigan's Law,

I would recommend using the "rsync" shell command for your off-site nightly backup, as it accomplishes just what you require, i.e., it transfers the least amount of data: the differences between two sets of files across the network.

Many, if not most, commercial backup programs use the rsync remote-update protocol to perform their magic. The terminal "rsync" command allows you complete flexibility and is easily executed from a script that runs nightly.

You can find information on "rsync" in the manpages, "man rsync".

Regards,
Switon

readymade524

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2012
Unless you need to use the storage machine for something else, I'd go with a NAS. Synology has some nice devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.