Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hunterheath33

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
I really want the HTC merge but it only has an 800MHZ processor with 512 MB Ram. The reason I want this phone is for the keyboard. The keyboard is amazing and I use my phone WAY more than anything else but only would use it for music Facebook twitter and texting. Maybe even some calls and pics. Are the specs enough?

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Yeah. It's plenty for what you want. There's other, faster phones with keyboards for cheap too. But like I said, for what you want to do. It's fine. The experience probably won't always be the smoothest. Whether or not you can live with that only you can decide. I was running on a lot worse hardware (533mhz cpu and 128mb RAM) up until August and I managed just fine. Very minor issues with crashing.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I've just had a look and GSMArena says the merge is still on Android 2.2.

That seems awfully behind to me. Is this the case?

cnguyen0320

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2012

Most people don't care about this stuff. For the OP, if you want that and that is the deciding factor, get it.. If you aren't the biggest techie, you won't really care unless you came from an iPhone or a high end Android with amazing specs.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
If I had to have a keyboard I'd get the Droid 4 but I think its a Verizon exclusive. It does have a GSM radio so I'm not sure if there is a way to move it to your carrier....

Ericcc

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
Montreal
If you're only planning to use the phone for those applications, then performance will be fine. If you do install other apps, and use it like a smartphone, it will remain functional, but definitely feel very dated. This is based on my experience with a soon to be 3-year old Nexus One.

Also, since it's an older handset with an ancient OS, installing a custom ROM will improve your experience a lot.

hunterheath33

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
Would a custom launcher work instead of a custom rom since I don't want to root my defice

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Specs matter to a point. If you're in 2012 and buying a phone with an 800MHz CPU, 512MB RAM, and running Android 2.2, that is probably a crappy phone. Unless you're being given it, I'd advise against that phone.

If you're looking at any modern, up-to-date smartphone though, I'd argue it doesn't matter that much, although you should bear in mind that the worse your specs are, the shorter the life of your phone will be in terms of how many software updates it can handle.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan

Most apps can still be installed on froyo. That and I'm pretty sure it's the 3rd most popular version of android behind 2.3 and 4.0.

mikegasol

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2012
I really want the HTC merge but it only has an 800MHZ processor with 512 MB Ram. The reason I want this phone is for the keyboard. The keyboard is amazing and I use my phone WAY more than anything else but only would use it for music Facebook twitter and texting. Maybe even some calls and pics. Are the specs enough?

How much is it and is it on a contract? As long as it's really cheap and you don't mind not having any updates for however long the contract is, why not?

Ericcc

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
Montreal
Would a custom launcher work instead of a custom rom since I don't want to root my defice

I would say that custom launchers do improve performance, but not as much as a more recent custom ROM that will feature a custom launcher anyway...

May I ask why you're reticent about rooting your phone? BTW, to install a custom OS, you'll have to do much more than rooting your phone (which is pretty minor); you'll have to irrevocably unlock your bootloader.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
BTW, to install a custom OS, you'll have to do much more than rooting your phone (which is pretty minor); you'll have to irrevocably unlock your bootloader.

Why would unlocking the BL be irrevocable? I've relocked the boatloader on both my Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7 with no issues--is it an issue specific to this device? (Not familiar with it)

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Specs are enough for OP. But to answer the question do specs matter, the answer is yes. For example, the OS needs fast specs to deliver a smooth graphical user experience. You can see this on high end phones like the iPhone, Galaxy S3 (International Version) Galaxy Note 2, etc.

Ericcc

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
Montreal
Why would unlocking the BL be irrevocable? I've relocked the boatloader on both my Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7 with no issues--is it an issue specific to this device? (Not familiar with it)

Hmmm I didn't know that. My knowledge is out-dated; the Nexus One was not re-lockable and still might not be.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Hmmm I didn't know that. My knowledge is out-dated; the Nexus One was not re-lockable and still might not be.

It's always been relockable on Nexus devices, however on the N1 you could not make it stock - so when you turned it on, it'd show a closed padlock for a locked bootloader, but that's also a sign it was previously unlocked.

As far as I know, this is not true for newer Nexus devices however.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
I'm still using my iPhone 3GS, a 2009 machine. What do you think?

For a mobile device like this one, I prefer portability over specs. Specs is somewhat important, but I prioritize portability.

Twixt

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
I'm still using my iPhone 3GS, a 2009 machine. What do you think?

For a mobile device like this one, I prefer portability over specs. Specs is somewhat important, but I prioritize portability.

I also carry this 3GS for more than 3 years, but battery life is more and more annoying.
Also, even if i did not update to iOS 6, I find my phone slower with time...

I guess there is point beyond which specs matter, still!

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
I also carry this 3GS for more than 3 years, but battery life is more and more annoying.
Also, even if i did not update to iOS 6, I find my phone slower with time...

I guess there is point beyond which specs matter, still!

I'll be getting the 4S when the 5S comes out. Don't care about the latest and the fastest, just a smartphone that is usable. :)

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Specs matter to a point. If you're in 2012 and buying a phone with an 800MHz CPU, 512MB RAM, and running Android 2.2, that is probably a crappy phone. Unless you're being given it, I'd advise against that phone.

If you're looking at any modern, up-to-date smartphone though, I'd argue it doesn't matter that much, although you should bear in mind that the worse your specs are, the shorter the life of your phone will be in terms of how many software updates it can handle.

Agreed. While important, the specs aren't the entire story when looking at a phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.