Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andy.barron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
Bedford, England
Hi all,

Wonder if you could help. I have a strange happening here with the text re-flowing but breaking mid word (without hypen) if the text box it is in is made smaller in width.

Can anyone advise why this is happening & what (if any) workarounds are there?

Thanks for your help in advance & I show the file below & can mail this to you for you to try also?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-12-06 at 18.22.26.png
    Screen shot 2012-12-06 at 18.22.26.png
    57.1 KB · Views: 252

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Hi all,

Wonder if you could help. I have a strange happening here with the text re-flowing but breaking mid word (without hypen) if the text box it is in is made smaller in width.

Can anyone advise why this is happening & what (if any) workarounds are there?

Thanks for your help in advance & I show the file below & can mail this to you for you to try also?

You can set this with your Paragraph Styles. Open Paragraph Styles Tab and create a new paragraph style. Make sure Hyphenation is turned on. You can also use kerning or tracking on your text to adjust for resizing of box. You would find this under Character Styles.

andy.barron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
Bedford, England
You can set this with your Paragraph Styles. Open Paragraph Styles Tab and create a new paragraph style. Make sure Hyphenation is turned on. You can also use kerning or tracking on your text to adjust for resizing of box. You would find this under Character Styles.

Sorry, not sure where you mean? I already have this:

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-12-06 at 23.39.18.png
    Screen shot 2012-12-06 at 23.39.18.png
    67.9 KB · Views: 166

andy.barron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
Bedford, England

Do you have a mail address that I could send you the file so you can see the issue maybe?

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Do you have a mail address that I could send you the file so you can see the issue maybe?

Under Character Tab, which you will see with attached photos, you will see what I have done with Kerning & Tracking. There are 2 photos of the kerning & tracking set at different positions and what it has done to some type I have set in a text box. Play around with those settings and you will find something you like. If not you can email me file at fyredept@telusplanet.net and I will have a look at it. even though the screen shots look different size, they are actually same size box.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-06 at 5.21.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-06 at 5.21.00 PM.png
    47 KB · Views: 161
  • Screen Shot 2012-12-06 at 5.21.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-06 at 5.21.50 PM.png
    14.6 KB · Views: 475
  • Screen Shot 2012-12-06 at 5.22.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-06 at 5.22.19 PM.png
    43.3 KB · Views: 147
  • Screen Shot 2012-12-06 at 5.23.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-06 at 5.23.04 PM.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 474

andy.barron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
Bedford, England
Hi Firedept, firstly thank you for your response.

The problem lies with the text is supplied to be pasted into an existing text box on an artwork which I would expect to flow correctly. However the text will line break mid word without hypens which will make the info wrong.

I will send you the file via email to show what I mean, & I have coloured up a couple of words with a spot colour to show the problem when re-sizing the box.

Thanks again for your help & hopefully you can solve it!:)

Aliennation

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2012
Did you solve this problem? I'm wondering if it was a character and paragraph style conflict from one doc to another. Did you try stripping the incoming text to a raw/simple text before pasting into your artwork. Or maybe break links to styles for your existing text flow in required copy and then reapply the paragraph/character styles back again. Just a few thoughts really. :)

andy.barron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
Bedford, England
Did you solve this problem? I'm wondering if it was a character and paragraph style conflict from one doc to another. Did you try stripping the incoming text to a raw/simple text before pasting into your artwork. Or maybe break links to styles for your existing text flow in required copy and then reapply the paragraph/character styles back again. Just a few thoughts really. :)

Unfortunately not. The text is coming from outside of the application & as said is being pasted into an existing text box but re-flowing without hypens. It seems the problem (thanks to firedept) lies with Illustrator not knowing the dictionary language & hence not knowing where to hyphenate.

However, I have tested a bit more (firedept this may be of interest) & in CS4 this does not happen!.......

YESimBLUNTED

macrumors member
Unfortunately not. The text is coming from outside of the application & as said is being pasted into an existing text box but re-flowing without hypens. It seems the problem (thanks to firedept) lies with Illustrator not knowing the dictionary language & hence not knowing where to hyphenate.

However, I have tested a bit more (firedept this may be of interest) & in CS4 this does not happen!.......

Try using InDesign for your text layout. Much better than AI or PS.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!

Thanks, will give it a try as I have CS4 all the way to CS6. Told you CS6 is a real hit or miss bunch of programs. Probably the most buggy I have ever had pleasure to use. I keep falling back on CS5 After Effects due to bugs that Adobe seems to be ignoring, even though they have personally told me and other people they would fix. My AI guy at work that had a look at it was in CS5 and still same issue. Appreciate the heads up though. I just feel for the people who can not afford to keep the older CS's around. They will have no answers to work with.

Eric E. Schmidt

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2012
Calif
switch of hyphenating. your paragraphs are left aligned, i wouldn't worry about hyphens.

i can't reproduce the issue in any version of ai, it drops the word without hyphenating, even with it [hyphenate] switched on. have you tried retyping the word in illustrator? there may be a hidden break character there that appeared when you made the Ë.

like the poster above said: use indesign for text layouts :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.