PDA

View Full Version : Used G5 Mac - I am a brand new user...

iceman01
Dec 6, 2012, 05:14 PM
So a friend of mine had a desktop G5 mac that he was going to junk as he got a new Ipad. I told him I would take it, he gave it to me for free. I will be picking it up from him in a few days. I have never owned a Mac before but I hear this is the place to go for answers so here I am. It is a G5, dual core, 2 Gb RAM, 500 GB HD. Is this a decent computer? Will is be ok to install linux on? Any information about this PC woud be great, I am excited to pick it up.

Thanks in advance,

Iceman01

Sirolway
Dec 6, 2012, 05:16 PM
Linux? How about installing something like OS X Tiger?
Should be a perfectly good machine for most uses. Ok, not gaming ... :-/

overanalyzer
Dec 6, 2012, 05:22 PM
One of my family members is still using the G5 PowerMac I bought in June 2004. Running Tiger it's usable for web browsing, e-mail, Office, etc. Definitely starting to show its age in terms of performance, but totally fine for basic use.

crewkid89
Dec 6, 2012, 05:37 PM
Do you need Linux? If so you can definitely run many distros on this computer. The Ubuntu apple forums and documentation are very good.

Leopard runs great on these and is still pretty well supported.

rjcalifornia
Dec 6, 2012, 05:50 PM
So a friend of mine had a desktop G5 mac that he was going to junk as he got a new Ipad. I told him I would take it, he gave it to me for free. I will be picking it up from him in a few days. I have never owned a Mac before but I hear this is the place to go for answers so here I am. It is a G5, dual core, 2 Gb RAM, 500 GB HD. Is this a decent computer? Will is be ok to install linux on? Any information about this PC woud be great, I am excited to pick it up.

Thanks in advance,

Iceman01

Dual Core iMac G5 with 2 GB of RAM and 500 GB of HDD?????

OK, again a warning for newbies: RUN far far far far away from Linux for PowerPC

Go with Mac OS Leopard, it should be good enough for anything you need, even Youtube. Trust me, you are gonna inherit a powerful computer. Think about this, there are some people who has a 2006 Celeron desktop PC running Windows 7...

Testimonial:

My sister wanted a mac, but she didn't have enough money for an intel one, so I got a deal for an iMac with wasn't a Dual Core and... She's so happy! She used to have a windows pc and the G5 is running faster than any previous PC she owned!

Ariii
Dec 6, 2012, 06:05 PM

OK, again a warning for newbies: RUN far far far far away from Linux for PowerPC

Go with Mac OS Leopard, it should be good enough for anything you need, even Youtube. Trust me, you are gonna inherit a powerful computer. Think about this, there are some people who has a 2006 Celeron desktop PC running Windows 7...

Testimonial:

My sister wanted a mac, but she didn't have enough money for an intel one, so I got a deal for an iMac with wasn't a Dual Core and... She's so happy! She used to have a windows pc and the G5 is running faster than any previous PC she owned!

Linux is much, much better for web browsing and will end up having a much lower cost. You have support for many more modern programs as compared to Mac OS X. Linux has gone a long way, to the point where installing Ubuntu or Debian is just about as easy as installing Mac OS X. I've found PowerPC Linux to work amazingly well most of the time, except for some driver issues, most of which is resolved. Make sure to back up Mac OS X, install CD's are very expensive.

I've found powerpcliberation.blogspot.ca and PowerPC Luddite to be very helpful resources for Linux on the PowerPC platform.

MisterKeeks
Dec 6, 2012, 06:17 PM
dual core imac g5 with 2 gb of ram and 500 gb of hdd?????

pmg5

iceman01
Dec 6, 2012, 07:29 PM

Testimonial:

Why not install Linux? I have it on my HP laptop and love it! I run Linux Mint 14.

----------

Do you need Linux? If so you can definitely run many distros on this computer. The Ubuntu apple forums and documentation are very good.

Leopard runs great on these and is still pretty well supported.

I would like to run Linux exclusivly on the G5. I run a distro of Linux (Mint 14) on my laptop and love it! I love it so much I removed Windows Vista completely. I would like to do the same with the Mac. Do you see this being a problem?

Thanks!

MisterKeeks
Dec 6, 2012, 07:30 PM
PPC support is, to say the least, an issue. I'm dual booting Lubuntu and Leopard and there are a host of issues. I have 2 monitors, which isn't supported. Firefox is buggy and I'm having issues with it only displaying part of the page. I had an issue with the installer where the fans were running full blast for the entire install- 40-50 mins. You can try it, but I'd stick to OS X.

iceman01
Dec 6, 2012, 07:31 PM
Linux is much, much better for web browsing and will end up having a much lower cost. You have support for many more modern programs as compared to Mac OS X. Linux has gone a long way, to the point where installing Ubuntu or Debian is just about as easy as installing Mac OS X. I've found PowerPC Linux to work amazingly well most of the time, except for some driver issues, most of which is resolved. Make sure to back up Mac OS X, install CD's are very expensive.

I've found powerpcliberation.blogspot.ca and PowerPC Luddite to be very helpful resources for Linux on the PowerPC platform.

I installed linux on my HP laptop and love it, so much that I removed Windows vista completely. I want to do the same for the G5. I am just worried about the machine being too old and slow. It has 2 GB RAM, I may add a few more GBs.. not sure yet.

MisterKeeks
Dec 6, 2012, 07:35 PM
I installed linux on my HP laptop and love it, so much that I removed Windows vista completely.

I agree, and I use open-source whenever possible, but the PPC support is just not perfect. It's getting there, and we have a great host of developers, but isn't quite ready for day to day use. I use the G5 as my main machine, so I like everything to work without me having to troubleshoot a lot. However, if this is just a hobby computer, by all means, try out Linux. You should try the Mac OS too, as it's very different then Windows; you might enjoy it more then Linux.

iceman01
Dec 6, 2012, 07:38 PM
I agree, and I use open-source whenever possible, but the PPC support is just not perfect. It's getting there, and we have a great host of developers, but isn't quite ready for day to day use. I use the G5 as my main machine, so I like everything to work without me having to troubleshoot a lot. However, if this is just a hobby computer, by all means, try out Linux. You should try the Mac OS too, as it's very different then Windows; you might enjoy it more then Linux.

PPC? I am not familiar with that term... Yes, it is my hobby computer. My wife and I both have laptops, I just want tinker with it. The only heavy use would for photo editing that my wife may do. She doesn't use photshop or anything.. if she does it would be an early release... thanks for all the help in advance.

MisterKeeks
Dec 6, 2012, 07:42 PM
PPC? I am not familiar with that term... Yes, it is my hobby computer. My wife and I both have laptops, I just want tinker with it. The only heavy use would for photo editing that my wife may do. She doesn't use photshop or anything.. if she does it would be an early release... thanks for all the help in advance.

PPC = PowerPC. Some people here seem to hate having it called that, but I'm lazy. :p For photo editing, I use GIMP on my Macs. Runs like a charm, even on a 900Mhz G3 iBook (which is probably 1/7-8 the speed of yours). I'm not sure about Linux/PowerPC support for Gimp. The bloggers someone mentioned above might be able to help. One of them has an account here, his name is MacinDan.

Jessica Lares
Dec 6, 2012, 07:45 PM
I tried running Ubuntu for a laugh once on my 1.8 G5 (oldest next to the 1.6), and the only thing that happened was the fans went super crazy after loading the CD in.

Really, OS X Leopard is the best thing you can put on that machine, and it will fly with 2GB. Flash still works really, really, really well too.

Oh, and PPC = Pay-Per-Click and Pocket PC (as in Windows CE/Mobile), which is why we prefer PowerPC.

justperry
Dec 6, 2012, 07:59 PM

PPC = PowerPC and this was before intel processors.
Intel Arch programs won't run on PPC, Universal Arch programs do.

Before even thinking about Linux try OS X first for a while you might like it, instead of installing Linux, that if you succeed, I never succeeded in installing it on a few systems, it is not drop a CD/DVD inside and install on it runs.
OS X runs OTB and it IS a great OS.

skateny
Dec 6, 2012, 08:09 PM

Since this is your first Mac, I'm in the camp that recommends starting out with OS X. It will give you a good taste of what using Macs is all about. Also, there are many threads in this forum that provide good information regarding the best applications to use for your PowerPC Mac, as well as ways of boosting performance.

Ariii
Dec 6, 2012, 09:28 PM
I installed linux on my HP laptop and love it, so much that I removed Windows vista completely. I want to do the same for the G5. I am just worried about the machine being too old and slow. It has 2 GB RAM, I may add a few more GBs.. not sure yet.

If that is your concern, run Debian or MintPPC. Ubuntu is bloated compared to its alternatives.

Also, Debian and MintPPC have had better hardware support in my experience.

crewkid89
Dec 6, 2012, 09:47 PM
From my own experience I can say that OSX tends to run better on lower spec'd macs than Linux, however, you are not dealing with a low spec machine. You can run the 64bitppc version of Ubuntu. Load that puppy with ram and it should fly on 12.10.

MintPPC would have stuck back on 11 based on Debian wheezy. I think you can do better with the hardware you have.

Many of the problems mentioned (the fan issue), have well documented solutions. Head over to ubuntuforums.org and check out the documentation they have. Much of it applies to other distros as well.

iceman01
Dec 6, 2012, 10:49 PM
From my own experience I can say that OSX tends to run better on lower spec'd macs than Linux, however, you are not dealing with a low spec machine. You can run the 64bitppc version of Ubuntu. Load that puppy with ram and it should fly on 12.10.

MintPPC would have stuck back on 11 based on Debian wheezy. I think you can do better with the hardware you have.

Many of the problems mentioned (the fan issue), have well documented solutions. Head over to ubuntuforums.org and check out the documentation they have. Much of it applies to other distros as well.

This sounds very promising. I cannot believe the fast responses I am getting, you guys are all great and very helpful! Most of the forums I have attempted to take part in arent even close to as good and helpful as this. So thank you to all of you who have responded! If I were to install Linux is it as simple as it was when i installed it on my HP laptop? For that all I did was put in a CD/DVD, reboot and hit "any key to boot from a CD"... then followed the prompts on the screen. Something tells me that it wont be as easy....

Is the G5 really that powerful of a machine?? dual processors, pre intel, 2 GB ram, just doesn't sound all that great...

ChrisMan287
Dec 6, 2012, 11:09 PM
I vote for Leopard. It would run absolutely fantastic on that thing.

iceman01
Dec 7, 2012, 12:36 AM
I vote for Leopard. It would run absolutely fantastic on that thing.

Thanks for your vote! I may give it a shot... where can I find this Leapord? It is free or is it going to be an investment? Most operating systems aren't cheap as alot of us know...

thekev
Dec 7, 2012, 01:11 AM
Thanks for your vote! I may give it a shot... where can I find this Leapord? It is free or is it going to be an investment? Most operating systems aren't cheap as alot of us know...

There isn't a legitimate method of distribution for Leopard at this point. Disks show up on ebay with people asking a significant amount of money at times, but that in itself violates the terms of service which dictate they're not meant for resale. I think it's dumb that people can profit from disks like that when they're just a method of delivering a licensed product. I know Powermax used to sell the restore dvds from used machines, but I don't see any on there. I wish Apple provided some method of restoring older machines to their original OS.

justperry
Dec 7, 2012, 01:25 AM

There isn't a legitimate method of distribution for Leopard at this point. Disks show up on ebay with people asking a significant amount of money at times, but that in itself violates the terms of service which dictate they're not meant for resale. I think it's dumb that people can profit from disks like that when they're just a method of delivering a licensed product. I know Powermax used to sell the restore dvds from used machines, but I don't see any on there. I wish Apple provided some method of restoring older machines to their original OS.

I know what I would do but can't tell you, the machine came with an OS and I agree with Thekev, Apple should have a legal way to download it, they could even ask a couple of $$ for it, download it, burn to disk and you'll have a legal OS Install disk.
Now, people on Ebay make big $$ from it and I think that most are even copies.
Or they just get a copy illegally.

rjcalifornia
Dec 7, 2012, 02:33 AM

You can get a retail copy off ebay.

Warning! You must get the Black Cover Leopard DVD

thekev
Dec 7, 2012, 08:16 AM
I know what I would do but can't tell you, the machine came with an OS and I agree with Thekev, Apple should have a legal way to download it, they could even ask a couple of $$ for it, download it, burn to disk and you'll have a legal OS Install disk.

Well that's the thing. If you read their fine print, the disks aren't eligible for resale. They're licensing you software. People still do this as it's not enforced. It just allows people on ebay to rip off others without providing either a fully legal means of licensing or sale of software to Apple. Personally I wouldn't pay some jerk $100 or more for something he isn't even authorized to sell.

Intell
Dec 7, 2012, 09:48 AM
You can still buy new-old stock Leopard discs from Apple. You need to call their phone order line and request it. You'll get a new OEM Leopard disc in the mail. I think you can ever order Tiger and Penter this way, if they still have any instock. Even try going to your local Apple Store. They may still have a few in the back room.

ChrisMan287
Dec 7, 2012, 11:47 AM
You can still buy new-old stock Leopard discs from Apple. You need to call their phone order line and request it. You'll get a new OEM Leopard disc in the mail. I think you can ever order Tiger and Penter this way, if they still have any instock. Even try going to your local Apple Store. They may still have a few in the back room.

Is that true? Hmm.. I've been looking for a Leopard disc..

skateny
Dec 7, 2012, 11:56 AM

When I saw the last coupla posts on this thread, I posted a new thread where you can get install discs for ten bucks.

----------

Thanks in advance,

Iceman01

I've posted this before. I don't see any reason whatsoever why a new Mac user would benefit from jumping straight to Linux. Leopard is an awesome OS, and if you get bored with it or just become curious about Linux, then go for it. Whereas Leopard "just works," Linux has (for newbies) a fairly steep learning curve and often some headaches.

I've played around with Linux on other people's rigs and there's nothing about it that would make me want to install it on my iBook.

Bottom line: If you've never owned a Mac, why not use the Mac OS? To me, this is a no-brainer.

Intell
Dec 7, 2012, 11:58 AM

Yes it's true.

ChrisMan287
Dec 7, 2012, 12:05 PM
When I saw the last coupla posts on this thread, I posted a new thread where you can get install discs for ten bucks.

Your Craigslist link doesn't work.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1503755

Yes it's true.

I'll have to call and ask :D

cocacolakid
Dec 7, 2012, 12:15 PM

They're not selling copies on eBay. They're the original retail Leopard discs, which is why you don't see any seller selling multiples, nobody has more than one to sell. A copy is worthless and will get a seller banned. Apple is extremely proactive in policing eBay sellers.

seveej
Dec 7, 2012, 12:15 PM

A word of warning,

I tried this some time ago...
I had a MBP (rev. A), and I wanted to reinstall leopard.
I had managed to lose my Leopard installation disk and wanted a new one.

Once my call was routed to the correct desk, the discussion went somewhat like:
Apple Rep: Have you registered your product.
Me: This computer? No I do not think so.
AR: Allright, can you give me a serial number
ME: <reading off the serial number>
AR: Rright, that machine came preinstalled with Tiger, so I can send you a tiger install DVD, but if you want leopard, I can send you that too, but then you'll need to pay the original price of <I think it was 129>.

=> So, unless i got shafted, this programme Apple has, allows you to, for a nominal charge, get the install disk for the system which your computer was shipped with, but not any system.

In the OP's case that would mean Tiger, which IMNSHO still is the third-best OS Apple's done (and the 2nd best for PowerPC's).

RGDS,

76ShovelHead
Dec 7, 2012, 12:22 PM
I was toying with the idea of installing Linux on an eMac in the event that it may be faster and have better support than Leopard. Fortunately a lot of members here have tried and tested Linux on the PowerPC and reported that it was extremely buggy and just not stable. I decided to just reinstall Leopard on another drive and that gave me the performance boost I needed.

Having said that, I love Linux too, it runs way better than Windows and is much nicer, but I have always used OS X first. If you can get a computer that runs OS X take advantage of that. OS X is waaay better than Linux just for the features and functionality you get out of the box (Time Machine, Automator, etc). Not to mention it is just as secure and fast.

cocacolakid
Dec 7, 2012, 12:27 PM
OP should wait on doing anything with Linux and instead use Mac OS X for a couple of weeks (get past the first few days learning curve of a new OS before making any decisions).

That should at least have 10.4 OS X Tiger on it. It might already have 10.5 OS X Leopard. Under no means should the OP delete the OS X installation and do a full Linux installation. Just partition the drive and install Linux if that's what he wants. If he decides to sell that Mac in the future, having Linux on it destroys any value it has for most buyers. And if he decides that Linux does not work well on it, once he's deleted the OS X installation he'll have to go buy the Tiger or Leopard discs at $100 or so to get it back to the way he just received it.

Jessica Lares
Dec 7, 2012, 01:08 PM
Just a small note... PowerPCs are not THAT old. At least the G5 models aren't.

First Power Mac G5 was in June 2003, and iMac G5 August 2004. Last models came out in late 2005.

That might be a super long time ago for some of you, but they shipped with OS X 10.2, and the last Power Mac even Tiger. By late 2003, nothing was being shipped with OS 9 or earlier.

For those of you coming from Windows... XP was introduced late 2001. Vista in 2007. This is the timeline of OS X:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_OS_X#Version_10.0:_.22Cheetah.22

When I got my MacBook Pro (Core 2 Duo), it came with Tiger. That was late 2006. Leopard didn't come out until October 2007. and the last stable release of that was in August 2009. So only three years ago.

And if you had an extended AppleCare coverage in 2005, it would have ended in 2008.

YouTube launched in November 2005 by the way... Just to throw that in there.

ihuman:D
Dec 7, 2012, 06:43 PM
This sounds very promising. I cannot believe the fast responses I am getting, you guys are all great and very helpful! Most of the forums I have attempted to take part in arent even close to as good and helpful as this. So thank you to all of you who have responded! If I were to install Linux is it as simple as it was when i installed it on my HP laptop? For that all I did was put in a CD/DVD, reboot and hit "any key to boot from a CD"... then followed the prompts on the screen. Something tells me that it wont be as easy....

Is the G5 really that powerful of a machine?? dual processors, pre intel, 2 GB ram, just doesn't sound all that great...

It's not PRE-intel it's PRE-INTEL MAC, there's a BIG difference. Good dual core consumer CPUs didn't start becoming available until the CD/C2D. And the original Mac Pros only came with 1gb of ram.

The machine is still pretty fast even today.

thekev
Dec 7, 2012, 07:57 PM

I didn't know that. I wonder if they have restore disks rather than retail as well. Either way it corrects my quote about lack of a legitimate method.

skateny
Dec 7, 2012, 08:03 PM
Just a small note... PowerPCs are not THAT old. At least the G5 models aren't.

First Power Mac G5 was in June 2003, and iMac G5 August 2004. Last models came out in late 2005.

That might be a super long time ago for some of you, but they shipped with OS X 10.2, and the last Power Mac even Tiger. By late 2003, nothing was being shipped with OS 9 or earlier.

For those of you coming from Windows... XP was introduced late 2001. Vista in 2007. This is the timeline of OS X:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_OS_X#Version_10.0:_.22Cheetah.22

When I got my MacBook Pro (Core 2 Duo), it came with Tiger. That was late 2006. Leopard didn't come out until October 2007. and the last stable release of that was in August 2009. So only three years ago.

And if you had an extended AppleCare coverage in 2005, it would have ended in 2008.

YouTube launched in November 2005 by the way... Just to throw that in there.

I agree. There's very little about my iBook that seems old, handling everything I need.

There are times when I think about it's age and marvel at its performance.

DockMac
Dec 7, 2012, 09:41 PM
I highly recommend a OS X on the G5.

However, if you want to try Linux, I recommend Yellow Dog Linux. This was the Linux distro that was in its prime during the era of the G5, and arguably the most compatible: http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/products/ydl/

Android4tw
Dec 7, 2012, 09:54 PM
http://mintppc.org/

iceman01
Dec 7, 2012, 10:20 PM
Thank you all for your thoughts, ideas, and help. After much reading I have decided to keep the Mac OS that is on the system (leopord). I have decided to partition off the HD and I will install a distro of linux, maybe MintPPC or Yellow Dog on the partition. The G5 comes with a 500 GB HD, and I have a 1 TB to place into it as an upgrade. More than enough to go around. I will be throwing some RAM is as well to keep things moving along... Thanks again all!

MisterKeeks
Dec 7, 2012, 10:35 PM
Great to hear! I think you'll like the Mac OS. The G5s are underrated when it comes to the power they still possess in a completely different world.

iceman01
Dec 8, 2012, 08:42 PM
Great to hear! I think you'll like the Mac OS. The G5s are underrated when it comes to the power they still possess in a completely different world.

Well guys (and gals) I finally got the G5! It came with a 21" Apple Wide Cinema display and a brand new 1TB HD. All for free! I installed the drive and gave the computer a good cleaning, I couldn't believe the dust! I set it all up and must say, Leopard seems great! A little corny at times, but I guess I am used to MS Vista. I may just forget Linux after all. Right now it has 2 GB RAM, would it be a good idea to install more? If so, how much? I have 8 slots I think. 4 on top and 4 on bottom behind the fans that cool the dual processors.

PS: The monitor is kinda odd. It props up in the back like a picture frame... it has a clear plastic frame... I must admit the picture is so vivid on it. Do macs have better resolution? I'm lovin it!

Intell
Dec 8, 2012, 08:46 PM
That is an Apple Studio Display. They came in sizes of 15", 17", 20", 22", and 23". You might have the 20". They have very good picture quality for their age. Love mine and use it daily.

For general use, 2GB of ram is adequate. But ram for that machine is getting cheaper by the week. Just make sure you install the ram in matched pairs or it won't read it.

cocacolakid
Dec 8, 2012, 08:46 PM
Well guys (and gals) I finally got the G5! It came with a 21" Apple Wide Cinema display and a brand new 1TB HD. All for free! I installed the drive and gave the computer a good cleaning, I couldn't believe the dust! I set it all up and must say, Leopard seems great! A little corny at times, but I guess I am used to MS Vista. I may just forget Linux after all. Right now it has 2 GB RAM, would it be a good idea to install more? If so, how much? I have 8 slots I think. 4 on top and 4 on bottom behind the fans that cool the dual processors.

PS: The monitor is kinda odd. It props up in the back like a picture frame... it has a clear plastic frame... I must admit the picture is so vivid on it. Do macs have better resolution? I'm lovin it!

Congrats! That's a sweet deal you got. That Apple display was quite expensive when it was new. It is in an odd style of frame compared to the newest monitors, but it still has a great picture.

BTW, more RAM is always a good idea. If you can get it up to at least 4GB that should be plenty for most of your tasks unless you're going to edit HD video or things of that sort that require larger processing and RAM.

iceman01
Dec 8, 2012, 09:02 PM
That is an Apple Studio Display. They came in sizes of 15", 17", 20", 22", and 23". You might have the 20". They have very good picture quality for their age. Love mine and use it daily.

For general use, 2GB of ram is adequate. But ram for that machine is getting cheaper by the week. Just make sure you install the ram in matched pairs or it won't read it.

I know that the RAM has to be installed in matching pairs.. When I took the fans out I noticed that all 4 RAM slots on the bottom were being used, but only two on the top. If RAM must be installed in pairs, does this mean that I am not getting use out of existing installed RAM?

Also, can I scrap all the RAM that is in it now and put at least 4 2GB RAM Chips in?

Intell
Dec 8, 2012, 09:05 PM
I know that the RAM has to be installed in matching pairs.. When I took the fans out I noticed that all 4 RAM slots on the bottom were being used, but only two on the top. If RAM must be installed in pairs, does this mean that I am not getting use out of existing installed RAM?

Also, can I scrap all the RAM that is in it now and put at least 4 2GB RAM Chips in?

You have a AGP PowerMac G5, it cannot take 2GB sticks of ram. It can only take 1GB DDR1 sticks. You can try rearranging the current ram to see if you can increase the amount by matching it.

skateny
Dec 8, 2012, 09:19 PM

I've maxed out RAM with every Mac I've owned. More RAM makes up for a lot sins. Especially now with it being so cheap for PowerPCs.

iceman01
Dec 8, 2012, 09:35 PM
You have a AGP PowerMac G5, it cannot take 2GB sticks of ram. It can only take 1GB DDR1 sticks. You can try rearranging the current ram to see if you can increase the amount by matching it.

According to this it can take more... Any thoughts?

The G5 "Dual Core" runs 533Mhz DDR2 memory. These dual core G5's can come with either 1 or 2 processor cards that have two processors on each, and are Dual or Quad G5's. The dual core G5's have 8 memory slots which can each hold a maximum of 2Gig, for a system maximum of 16Gigs.

Intell
Dec 8, 2012, 09:39 PM
According to this it can take more... Any thoughts?

The G5 "Dual Core" runs 533Mhz DDR2 memory. These dual core G5's can come with either 1 or 2 processor cards that have two processors on each, and are Dual or Quad G5's. The dual core G5's have 8 memory slots which can each hold a maximum of 2Gig, for a system maximum of 16Gigs.

If you have a Studio display on your machine, it isn't a dual core. It's a dual processor or a signal processor both with a signal core. Those can only take DDR1 ram.

iceman01
Dec 8, 2012, 09:43 PM
If you have a Studio display on your machine, it isn't a dual core. It's a dual processor or a signal processor both with a signal core. Those can only take DDR1 ram.

I got the machine from a friend today, I think the display might be an extra he threw in so that I could use the machine. I believe I have a dual processor. I have two boxes inside the machine that say G5, and two cooling fans.... I could have swore I could use 2 GB in each slot??? I just rearranged the ram, my configuration now looks like this if you are looking at the RAM

Empty
RAM
RAM
RAM

RAM
RAM
RAM
Empty

This is a correct configuration for matching pairs right?

Intell
Dec 8, 2012, 09:50 PM
I got the machine from a friend today, I think the display might be an extra he threw in so that I could use the machine. I believe I have a dual processor. I have two boxes inside the machine that say G5, and two cooling fans.... I could have swore I could use 2 GB in each slot??? I just rearranged the ram, my configuration now looks like this if you are looking at the RAM

Empty
RAM
RAM
RAM

RAM
RAM
RAM
Empty

This is a correct configuration for matching pairs right?

If you have two CPU's and no liquid pumps, you have a dual processor. I don't think 2GB DDR1 sticks were ever made. Likely because most DDR1 memory controllers can't access more that 2 or 4GB of RAM. That is the correct ram configuration. Just make sure that the size of the ram sticks are the same, starting from the inner.

iceman01
Dec 8, 2012, 09:54 PM
If you have two CPU's and no liquid pumps, you have a dual processor. I don't think 2GB DDR1 sticks were ever made. Likely because most DDR1 memory controllers can't access more that 2 or 4GB of RAM. That is the correct ram configuration. Just make sure that the size of the ram sticks are the same, starting from the inner.

OK, Thanks for the info. I am completely new at this. This is my first Apple. I got it for free, otherwise I would have passed. I just rearranged my ram and now it show that I have 3GB RAM. I'm guess two of the 512MB ram cards were not paired so neither were working until i rearranged them in pairs??? So from what you are saying, I can max out mt RAM at 8GB with no issues? I don't want to overload the machine (if that is even possible with RAM??).

Intell
Dec 8, 2012, 09:59 PM
OK, Thanks for the info. I am completely new at this. This is my first Apple. I got it for free, otherwise I would have passed. I just rearranged my ram and now it show that I have 3GB RAM. I'm guess two of the 512MB ram cards were not paired so neither were working until i rearranged them in pairs??? So from what you are saying, I can max out mt RAM at 8GB with no issues? I don't want to overload the machine (if that is even possible with RAM??).

8GB is the max for that machine. It can take it without a problem. Just try to get the low density ram. I'm not sure if G5's like high density. I know that G4's don't. Also try to get non-ECC ram. G5's can apparently use ECC ram, but with the ECC part disabled. But I've never personally tried it.

iceman01
Dec 8, 2012, 10:09 PM
8GB is the max for that machine. It can take it without a problem. Just try to get the low density ram. I'm not sure if G5's like high density. I know that G4's don't. Also try to get non-ECC ram. G5's can apparently use ECC ram, but with the ECC part disabled. But I've never personally tried it.

ok, non ECC ram, got it. Here are my mac specs... im still getting 16GB, maybe its wrong?

Power Mac G5
Processor: 2.0GHz G5 (PowerPC 970fx)
Serial #: XB3481JMNVS
Model #: A1047

Current Total Memory:
Current Hard Drive:
Model Family: Power Mac G5
Manufacturer: Motorola
# of CPUs: 2
Base Memory: 512MB PC3200 DIMM
Max Memory: 16GB
# Memory Slots: 8
Brand: Apple
Wireless: Optional
Color(s): Aluminum
Original OS: Mac OS X 10.2.7
Graphics: ATI Radeon 9600 Pro (64MB)
Base Storage: 160GB 7200RPM SATA 3.5"
Optical Drive: 4x Superdrive

Model Number: A1047
Sales Number(s): M9032LL/A
Machine Number(s): PowerMac7,2
Dimensions: 20.1 in x 8.1 in x 18.7 in
Weight: 39.2 lb
Production: Jun 23, 2003 - Jun 9, 2004
Factory: USA
Production Year: 2003
Production Week: 49 (December)
Production Number: 1789

Intell
Dec 8, 2012, 10:18 PM
That is first model PowerMac G5. It can only take up to 8GB of ram. Where are you getting the 16GB from?

iceman01
Dec 8, 2012, 10:25 PM
That is first model PowerMac G5. It can only take up to 8GB of ram. Where are you getting the 16GB from?

It is the last model they made before intel i think? If you read the specs it says max ram: 16GB.

Power Mac G5
Serial #: XB3481JMNVS
Model #: A1047

Current Total Memory:
Current Hard Drive:
Model Family: Power Mac G5
Manufacturer: Motorola
# of CPUs: 2
Base Memory: 512MB PC3200 DIMM
Max Memory: 16GB
# Memory Slots: 8
Brand: Apple
Wireless: Optional
Color(s): Aluminum
Original OS: Mac OS X 10.2.7
Graphics: ATI Radeon 9600 Pro (64MB)
Base Storage: 160GB 7200RPM SATA 3.5"
Optical Drive: 4x Superdrive

Model Number: A1047
Sales Number(s): M9032LL/A
Machine Number(s): PowerMac7,2
Dimensions: 20.1 in x 8.1 in x 18.7 in
Weight: 39.2 lb
Production: Jun 23, 2003 - Jun 9, 2004
Factory: USA
Production Year: 2003
Production Week: 49 (December)
Production Number: 1789

Intell
Dec 8, 2012, 10:48 PM
This is before Intell Macs by 3 years. Look at your serial number: XB3481JMNVS. Look at the 3-5 numbers. The 3 means it was made in 2003. The 48 means week 48, some time in December.

Now look at the type of ram, PC3200. This is a DDR1 designation. It's the fastest DDR1 ram spec.

Then there's the sales number: M9032LL/A. This is the number for the first PowerMac G5.

Lastly, look at the graphics: ATI Radeon 9600 Pro. That was only ever on an AGP card. All PowerMac G5's, except for the last model, had AGP cards. The non-AGP model is the one just before Intell Macs. It can take 16GB of DDR2 ram.

iceman01
Dec 8, 2012, 11:02 PM
This is before Intell Macs by 3 years. Look at your serial number: XB3481JMNVS. Look at the 3-5 numbers. The 3 means it was made in 2003. The 48 means week 48, some time in December.

Now look at the type of ram, PC3200. This is a DDR1 designation. It's the fastest DDR1 ram spec.

Then there's the sales number: M9032LL/A. This is the number for the first PowerMac G5.

Lastly, look at the graphics: ATI Radeon 9600 Pro. That was only ever on an AGP card. All PowerMac G5's, except for the last model, had AGP cards. The non-AGP model is the one just before Intell Macs. It can take 16GB of DDR2 ram.

Interesting, I got all the spec by entering my serial number into everymac.com So all that information it listed is correct except the max RAM amount. It should be 8 instead of 16? Glad i asked or I would have followed what the site said!

Intell
Dec 8, 2012, 11:05 PM
I am very sure it can only register 8GB of ram. That site has a few incorrect specs on it. Guess I'll add this model to the list.

iceman01
Dec 8, 2012, 11:41 PM
I am very sure it can only register 8GB of ram. That site has a few incorrect specs on it. Guess I'll add this model to the list.

yes, please do! 8 GB will be plenty for anything I do.. im just tinkering with it, like i said it was free. He was going to just destroy it! Thanks again for all your help!

Nameci
Dec 9, 2012, 12:23 AM
iceman,

your powermac G5 can only take up to 8GB of DDR RAM matched pairs low density.

The late 2005 which is of dual core varities can take up to 16GB of DDR2 RAM. And they have PCIe for the expansion and Graphics, while yours have either PCI/PCIx for expansion and AGP for Graphics card.

MisterKeeks
Dec 9, 2012, 09:39 AM

Everymac's site states that it can only take 8:
http://everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g5/specs/powermac_g5_2.0_dp.html

Intell
Dec 9, 2012, 11:20 AM
Everymac's site states that it can only take 8:
http://everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g5/specs/powermac_g5_2.0_dp.html

Enter the posted serial number and it'll tell you 16GB.

MisterKeeks
Dec 9, 2012, 11:39 AM
Enter the posted serial number and it'll tell you 16GB.

That's what I did- it brought me to this page:
http://everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/?search_keywords=NVS

The linked page states that it can take 8 GB of RAM.

Intell
Dec 9, 2012, 12:01 PM
That's what I did- it brought me to this page:
http://everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/?search_keywords=NVS

The linked page states that it can take 8 GB of RAM.

I'm still getting the page that states 16GB of ram.

Nameci
Dec 9, 2012, 12:45 PM
When I look up the serial number it states that it is a November 2003 Powermac G5 dual processor 2GHz. And maximum RAM is 4GB of 400MHz DDR-3200 RAM on 8 Slots. But this http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g5/specs/powermac_g5_2.0_dp.html says 8 GB other wise.

MisterKeeks
Dec 9, 2012, 01:09 PM
I'm still getting the page that states 16GB of ram.

That's odd! I took some screenshots- are we on the same page?:p

Intell
Dec 9, 2012, 05:08 PM
Likely not. It could be their CDN messing up again. Everymac is a rather shoddy made site.

iceman01
Dec 9, 2012, 09:11 PM
Ok, now that we got the RAM issue addressed. What was I missing out on by not having a MAC? Any must have apps/programs out there for my G5? Its just my tinkering computer, I have a HP laptop for regular use.

cocacolakid
Dec 9, 2012, 10:15 PM
... What was I missing out on by not having a MAC?...

Stability. Ease of use. Enjoyment. Beauty. :)

iceman01
Dec 9, 2012, 10:42 PM
Stability. Ease of use. Enjoyment. Beauty. :)

i haven't quite got to the "ease of use" part. I've only ever had windows. So alot of things are different. I like the graphics. I have an older 21" wide cinema display, but i love the way it looks! I need to find a cheap keyboard for this thing... I have an OLD mac keyboard and half of the keys are junk. Any suggestions??

cocacolakid
Dec 9, 2012, 11:10 PM
i haven't quite got to the "ease of use" part. I've only ever had windows. So alot of things are different. I like the graphics. I have an older 21" wide cinema display, but i love the way it looks! I need to find a cheap keyboard for this thing... I have an OLD mac keyboard and half of the keys are junk. Any suggestions??

If you're coming from Windows (or Linux), it will take a few days or a week to get used to just the basics, especially the window buttons being on the opposite side. But once you get used to that you'll start to notice how much easier OS X is to use than other OS's.

As for must have apps. iLife and iWork are number 1 in my book for must have's. You can also look at MacUpdate to find a ton of apps you've never heard of, read some reviews, and download them direct from there. (iLife '09 works on Power PC Macs. It includes iPhoto, GarageBand, iDVD, iMovie, and iWeb - forget iWeb, Apple has dropped support for it. iWork '09 is the last version to work on Power PC Macs and has Pages, Numbers, and Keynote, which are Apple's far superior versions of Word, Excel, and Power Point - you might already have iLife or iWork on your Mac from the previous owner)

Keyboards are a personal thing, I think, as for what people prefer. How they feel, how big/small they are, wireless/wired, feel of keys, sounds, etc. It's hard to recommend something and have someone be 100% happy. If you have a large computer store near you they should have many models on display, you can always feel them before you buy anything.

Apple makes some very nice keyboards these days but they're not inexpensive. The wired/wireless models are in the $50-60 range I believe. I used an aluminum Apple wireless model for a while and then went and bought the wired version with the keypad on it because I need faster access to a keypad for work.

There is a company called Macally that makes some Mac specific accessories, including keyboards. That's the only other brand I know of other than Apple that has keyboards with the OS X shortcut keys, which is very handy, especially for a new Mac user to learn which keys do what.

Also keep an eye on Craigslist, people sell (older) Apple keyboards dirt cheap pretty regularly if you prefer a clean, working Apple keyboard on a budget.

iceman01
Dec 10, 2012, 11:31 AM
If you're coming from Windows (or Linux), it will take a few days or a week to get used to just the basics, especially the window buttons being on the opposite side. But once you get used to that you'll start to notice how much easier OS X is to use than other OS's.

As for must have apps. iLife and iWork are number 1 in my book for must have's. You can also look at MacUpdate to find a ton of apps you've never heard of, read some reviews, and download them direct from there. (iLife '09 works on Power PC Macs. It includes iPhoto, GarageBand, iDVD, iMovie, and iWeb - forget iWeb, Apple has dropped support for it. iWork '09 is the last version to work on Power PC Macs and has Pages, Numbers, and Keynote, which are Apple's far superior versions of Word, Excel, and Power Point - you might already have iLife or iWork on your Mac from the previous owner)

Keyboards are a personal thing, I think, as for what people prefer. How they feel, how big/small they are, wireless/wired, feel of keys, sounds, etc. It's hard to recommend something and have someone be 100% happy. If you have a large computer store near you they should have many models on display, you can always feel them before you buy anything.

Apple makes some very nice keyboards these days but they're not inexpensive. The wired/wireless models are in the $50-60 range I believe. I used an aluminum Apple wireless model for a while and then went and bought the wired version with the keypad on it because I need faster access to a keypad for work.

There is a company called Macally that makes some Mac specific accessories, including keyboards. That's the only other brand I know of other than Apple that has keyboards with the OS X shortcut keys, which is very handy, especially for a new Mac user to learn which keys do what.

Also keep an eye on Craigslist, people sell (older) Apple keyboards dirt cheap pretty regularly if you prefer a clean, working Apple keyboard on a budget.

Thanks bro! As of now I am using an old green and clear semi transparent keyboard from i believe an original iMac? I remember years back apple came out with a bunch of different colored two tone all in ones.. the keyboard works for the most part, but i could for sure use a new one. I will be checking out those programs you mentioned as soon as i am done with this reply. All in all i gotta say i am pretty happy with my G5. I am only using it for basic we surfing and maybe some light photo editing... seems pretty snappy. I may of over did it with the 8 GB RAM and 1 TB HD, but I have no complaints as of yet!