View Full Version : Sick Quicksilver!!
Sep 20, 2005, 10:32 AM
I have a DP 1.0Ghz Quicksilver that has a very strange problem. Every few boots, it doesnt boot up, the powerbutton glows for about one second then nothing happens. Has anyone else had this happen? i reset pram and reset with the button in the case, also removed the battery and let it sit for a bit, nothing has cured it. Could be the power supply is taking a dirt nap. Any ideas?
Sep 20, 2005, 10:36 AM
Resetting the CUDA should have fixed it. My QS does this from time to time..
Sep 20, 2005, 10:53 AM
Do you have any extra hardware installed? This happens to me after a power outage, and removing the usb card I have and letting it boot up and then reinstalling the card works everytime.
Sep 20, 2005, 10:56 AM
i have a hd controller card installed, but its been in there since the day i got the computer and this problem showed up last week.
Sep 20, 2005, 07:02 PM
Generally, if not always, caused by the PMU freaking out.
What I've done to fix this in the past (and this is with Quicksilvers that wouldn't boot at all with identical symptoms):
1. Unplug the computer from the wall.
2. Press the power button to get rid of any residual charge (it should glow for a second).
3. Open it up and pull the battery.
4. Press the CUDA reset button, just for the heck of it.
5. Let it sit for a few minutes (just a minute was fine in my case, although I've heard up to half an hour recommended).
6. Put everything back together, start up and reset the PRAM, and hope it works.
7. For good measure, you can also boot into Open Firmware (command-option-O-F) and do a "reset-nvram" and "reset-all", which might help, too.
It's worth a shot, anyway.
Sep 20, 2005, 07:31 PM
The quicksilver has some power management issues. But I don't know what the problem is.