Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Windows+8/Great+Big+War+Game/news.asp?c=47147

Great Big War Game made £52 in a week on Windows RT, while iOS and Android versions made thousands

Indie developer Rubicon has told Pocket Gamer that its strategy gem Great Big War Game made a measly £52 in its first week on Microsoft's new Windows RT (a special version of Windows 8) operating system.

We asked Rubicon owner Paul Johnson to put that into context for us.

"If we extend the Windows RT launch for a whole month it's probably going to make £150 - £200," he explained. "The first month on iOS made us £70,000 and on Android it was about £50,000."

The comparison is a tad unfair because Windows RT is a new platform, with a much smaller userbase than iOS's or Android's.

"Having said that, the difference does speak for itself - and after all the other two's stores weren't empty at the time, either," Johnson added.

"If that rate is sustained, it will take just under two years before we recoup the [£10,000] salary paid to the guy who did the port."

Looks like complaining has worked as Microsoft have at least offered to help by giving the game more exposure on the Windows 8 store.

http://www.rubicondev.com/blog/windows-rt-born-to-fail

If anyone already read this post, it has had a very positive effect and Microsoft have graciously decided work with us to iron out the problems and get us past this incident.

With a sense of fair play, I’m putting my grumpiness on hiatus and deleting the juicy bits. Which was all of it, sorry.

That url pretty much sets the tone of the original post I'm guessing.

In my personal opinion, I'd say they've got to give RT a chance to grow before blasting it as they may inadvertently make it less appealing to other developers to fuel any growth through bad press like this.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
That url pretty much sets the tone of the original post I'm guessing.

In my personal opinion, I'd say they've got to give RT a chance to grow before blasting it as they may inadvertently make it less appealing to other developers to fuel any growth through bad press like this.

I can understand their frustration though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.