Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
My son is asking for a 7" tablet for Christmas. We are an Apple household, but if I can save some money and go for either the Nexus 7 or Fire HD, I'm open to it.

One of the main uses will be for him to take it to school to read books. I have Amazon Prime and the free book downloads is a very nice feature. Not to mention the Prime Videos.

He'll also want to surf, play games, watch Youtube and movies.

Anyone here have a Fire HD? Are you happy with it? Any regrets?

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
can't you get the kindle and amazon prime apps on the nexus 7? seems like the nexus would still be better if so as you would be open to the whole android system. I know the amazon instant video app is on iOS as I have it on my ipad and I am sure the kindle app is available also. I just keep thinking g of reading how the fire limits you to amazon which I wouldn't like. I have no experience with it and am only goi g off what I have read so I don't have first hand experience.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
FYI, syncing or doing anything on the Fire HD with a Mac = PITA. I don't know if the N7 uses MTP, but you better look into that before anything else. Otherwise you're a lot better buying the iPad Mini. N7 can use the YouTube app, the Kindle would have to be rooted to do so since Flash is no longer supported.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.