Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xFU3Lx

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2005
How can I find places that will repair Apple computers, specifically my Powerbook, other than Apple itself. I feel that $1300 to fix my computer is way too much.

xFU3Lx

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2005
macOSX-tastic said:
you could try pbfixit.com.....they have DIY steps you can take for common problems. what is wrong with your computer?
tastic
Water damage, and I have no clue who spilled whatever on it. :mad: I just came to my room and found it sitting in the puddle. Pretty screwed up huh?

But yeah, Apple voided the warranty and quoted $1300 to fix. So I'm looking at alternatives. I did just find a place about 10 miles from me that says Mac is their specialty, so I'm gonna check them out.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
xFU3Lx said:
Water damage, and I have no clue who spilled whatever on it. :mad: I just came to my room and found it sitting in the puddle. Pretty screwed up huh?

But yeah, Apple voided the warranty and quoted $1300 to fix. So I'm looking at alternatives. I did just find a place about 10 miles from me that says Mac is their specialty, so I'm gonna check them out.

It's probably just a fried logic board. When there was water on it, was it turned on? Sometimes when water hits our computers, if we turn it off and wait 48 hours with it upside down, a pb will just dry out. Try to buy a logic board from PB fix, eBay or even appeal to Apple to sell you a new one. I think the steep charge is that no one knows with out a diagnostic what exactly is fried on the machine. But, it is probably just the logic board and maybe battery contacts.

xFU3Lx

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2005
California said:
It's probably just a fried logic board. When there was water on it, was it turned on? Sometimes when water hits our computers, if we turn it off and wait 48 hours with it upside down, a pb will just dry out. Try to buy a logic board from PB fix, eBay or even appeal to Apple to sell you a new one. I think the steep charge is that no one knows with out a diagnostic what exactly is fried on the machine. But, it is probably just the logic board and maybe battery contacts.
Its been a week, won't work. It turns on, and I get the fans at like full blast, thats all that turns on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.