PDA

View Full Version : iMac G5 Question

AQUADock
Dec 8, 2012, 09:49 AM
I just bought a iMac G5 and it has the infamous graphics card issue. Right now it has only small faint cyan dashed lines across the display and i was wondering if they could get worse or make the computer to stop working as right now it isn't really bothering me and i can live with it. Im not sure if i should return it or not. Its the 1.9 GHz with the ATI Radeon X600 Pro card.

MisterKeeks
Dec 8, 2012, 11:00 AM
I believe that they can get worse. However, you might be able to use an external display.

Jethryn Freyman
Dec 8, 2012, 05:39 PM
I've got a friend with one, hasn't changed over the past months. Everything else works fine.

666sheep
Dec 8, 2012, 07:03 PM
If you've bought it as fully working, return it if you can. It most likely needs graphics chip replacement or reballing. Check external display if you can. If it will have that same cyan dashed lines it's 100% GPU.

AQUADock
Dec 9, 2012, 08:32 AM
If you've bought it as fully working, return it if you can. It most likely needs graphics chip replacement or reballing. Check external display if you can. If it will have that same cyan dashed lines it's 100% GPU.

Funny thing is that now its 90% normal now. I can't return it if it goes back to the computer shop that i got it from and seem have no issues, they wont accept it back if thats the case. Is there a chance that it could get better and stay like that?

ihuman:D
Dec 9, 2012, 09:07 AM
Funny thing is that now its 90% normal now. I can't return it if it goes back to the computer shop that i got it from and seem have no issues, they wont accept it back if thats the case. Is there a chance that it could get better and stay like that?

Did you move the computer by any chance?

AQUADock
Dec 9, 2012, 09:40 AM
Did you move the computer by any chance?

No, but its been on for a while when i finish using it i will let it cool down and see if it changes.

AQUADock
Dec 10, 2012, 02:38 AM
Ok so i let cool down for a whole night and turned it on and its still the same as i left it. The only time you can notice it is in places like overflow or the screensaver.