PDA

View Full Version : Power Mac G5 White Stuff in Processor Heatsink!

keremtezcan
Dec 8, 2012, 11:56 AM
I have attached an image. Is this normal? I have a Late 2005 Dual 2 Ghz Power Mac G5. Does anybody know what the problem is or is it normal?

Thanks

El Awesome
Dec 8, 2012, 12:30 PM
I have attached an image. Is this normal? I have a Late 2005 Dual 2 Ghz Power Mac G5. Does anybody know what the problem is or is it normal?

Thanks

That's a leak of the watercooling system!
Turn off & unplug the machine immidiately, otherwise you can seriously damage the whole machine!

Then take off the cooler and buy a new one.

No seriously, this can ruine your whole G5!

Intell
Dec 8, 2012, 01:07 PM
That's a leak of the watercooling system!
Turn off & unplug the machine immidiately, otherwise you can seriously damage the whole machine!

Then take off the cooler and buy a new one.

No seriously, this can ruine your whole G5!

Only problem with that is the OP has a 2.0Ghz model, which is aircooled. Thus, no leaking coolant.

thorns
Dec 8, 2012, 01:18 PM
I don't know what it is. Wipe it off and you're good to go.

keremtezcan
Dec 8, 2012, 01:45 PM
It's air-cooled. Besides the water cooled ones heatsinks are different. Sure, I could try wiping it, but what IS it?

----------

It's been there ever since I got it from EBay. It doesn't come off, it is permanently there I think, but I'll try again.

skateny
Dec 8, 2012, 01:53 PM
It's air-cooled. Besides the water cooled ones heatsinks are different. Sure, I could try wiping it, but what IS it?

----------

It's been there ever since I got it from EBay. It doesn't come off, it is permanently there I think, but I'll try again.

I've never seen this before, so I can't say I know what it is.

I'm wondering whether or not it's either dirt that got sucked into your rig that's calcified over time, or some sort of paste/glue that the owner was sloppy with while doing some sort of maintenance or repair?

In any case, I use acetone (i.e., nail polish remover) to remove glue and other stubborn substances. Unless anyone here thinks this is a bad idea, I don't see why it would cause catastrophic damage. If you use acetone to remove glue or other nasty substances from your casing, it can cause unsightly smudges on plastic surfaces.

keremtezcan
Dec 8, 2012, 02:14 PM
Hmm... I don't really care if the stain stays there because I don't care about how it looks on the inside. I just want to know if my machine is broken.

skateny
Dec 8, 2012, 02:22 PM
Hmm... I don't really care if the stain stays there because I don't care about how it looks on the inside. I just want to know if my machine is broken.

You never said whether or not your rig currently works properly, unless I missed this. If so, wipe that stuff off and get on with it.

keremtezcan
Dec 8, 2012, 02:24 PM
It works fine, it's just that something could be broken and it could spread and get worse over time, that's what I'm worried about.

SuperCyborg
Dec 8, 2012, 03:37 PM
Just looks like something splashed from the floor.

666sheep
Dec 8, 2012, 06:22 PM
It looks like thermal grease. If so, it's rather gray than white.

cocacolakid
Dec 8, 2012, 08:21 PM
Almost looks like the previous owner spilled milk or something in it. The trail of it looks like it was a spill.

keremtezcan
Dec 9, 2012, 04:21 AM
Yeah but it is permanent, so is it glue or something?

Jessica Lares
Dec 9, 2012, 04:42 AM
Corrosion. Is it a third-party heatsink?

El Awesome
Dec 9, 2012, 05:18 AM
Only problem with that is the OP has a 2.0Ghz model, which is aircooled. Thus, no leaking coolant.

My mistake, sorry. I somehow connected the Dual 2.0 with watercooling