PDA

View Full Version : iPod Classic

Tulani
Dec 8, 2012, 12:00 PM
Does anyone still as lucky to have owned this 160Gig storage music player? Despite it being a vintage device don't you think this has been one great gadget to come out of apple? Yes the one with the click dial in front.

Johnny Alien
Dec 8, 2012, 12:29 PM
IMO, the click wheel still remains to be one of the greatest hardware interfaces that Apple has ever created. Touch screens can be nice but the wheel was just plain intuitive.

Tulani
Dec 8, 2012, 01:42 PM
I jealously keep mine like a piece of gold

firedept
Dec 8, 2012, 09:28 PM
I have mine and treat it like a gem. Have upgraded the HDD to 500GB as I store movies on mine as well. I almost use it like a portable HDD. Still the best iPod Apple ever made IMO.

Tulani
Dec 8, 2012, 10:43 PM
I have mine and treat it like a gem. Have upgraded the HDD to 500GB as I store movies on mine as well. I almost use it like a portable HDD. Still the best iPod Apple ever made IMO.

How can one do an upgrade on it?

tejagamer
Dec 8, 2012, 11:13 PM
Own it and still use it! Very good option for carrying the whole library!
Also I use it as my Portable HDD :P

firedept
Dec 8, 2012, 11:47 PM
How can one do an upgrade on it?

You will need to find an iPod repair centre and ask. The HDD's are available and just need to be exchanged in it. Cost me about $250 CDN to do it. These guys did it for me. http://www.ipodrepaircenter.com/

SnowLeopard OSX
Dec 9, 2012, 12:03 AM
IMO, the click wheel still remains to be one of the greatest hardware interfaces that Apple has ever created. Touch screens can be nice but the wheel was just plain intuitive.

I couldn't agree more with this. For an mp3 player, click wheel is essential, this is why I've held on to my 80GB iPod classic -- I'm never letting go of this thing. The click wheel is so intuitive, and since I've been using it for over 6 years, it feels like second nature to me. I much prefer click wheel for an mp3 player than I do touch screen. Plus the clickwheel essentially defined the iPod

Scepticalscribe
Dec 9, 2012, 10:39 AM
Yes, I, too, still have my 80GB iPod, treasured and used on an almost daily basis. When I'm travelling, it accompanies me everywhere I go. A design classic, and (to my mind) pretty much irreplaceable.

Tulani
Dec 9, 2012, 12:49 PM
65 days plus .....on continuous music play when full. You don't even need to repeat any song for that long

pooleman
Dec 9, 2012, 02:35 PM
I still have my 60 gig iPod Photo from 2004. It works great. I had an issue about 3 years ago with it as it wouldn't hold a charge anymore. So I bought a new one and threw the old one in a drawer. I found it about a year ago and started messing with it. Come to find out the 30 pin dock connector had lifted off the circuit board. So I ordered a broken ipod on ebay for $10, removed that 30 pin connector and soldered it to my old iPod. Now it works like a champ. I replaced the battery and LCD screen at the same time and now it's like new.

WilliamDu
Dec 9, 2012, 03:44 PM
Those in wait for an updated Classic can be assured of its imminent arrival.
I just ordered a silver current version for my wife for Christmas.
Better to get the superb Click Wheel before Apple has an opportunity to make it "thinner" a la 2012 iMac and do away with the Click Wheel or any other of its timeless characteristics.
Expressions of gratitude appreciated but not required:D

someone28624
Dec 9, 2012, 03:49 PM
I'd love to see the Classic, well, stay classicky, but get a little love. It'd be awesome if they threw in a wifi app, not for a full web experience like on the iPad, just for some basic internet apps- like weather, wifi syncing, auto-time updating, and AppleTV integration. If they kept everything exactly as is but added that I would RUN to buy it. I'd also buy a 128gb flash version if they made a Classic like that. LONG LIVE THE CLICK WHEEL! Touch screens just don't beat the click wheel in the car or with blind controls in the dark at night when I want to keep the bright screen hidden under the covers.

yly3
Dec 9, 2012, 06:53 PM
You will need to find an iPod repair centre and ask. The HDD's are available and just need to be exchanged in it. Cost me about $250 CDN to do it. These guys did it for me. http://www.ipodrepaircenter.com/

I have the late 2006 5.5 80gb Video the one with 64mb ram. I know mine is the only ipod to officially support the 240gb Toshiba drive. And according to the website you posted. I guess I will to mail them, I'd really love a 500gb iPod, does it have a significant impact on battery life ?

firedept
Dec 9, 2012, 08:04 PM
I have the late 2006 5.5 80gb Video the one with 64mb ram. I know mine is the only ipod to officially support the 240gb Toshiba drive. And according to the website you posted. I guess I will to mail them, I'd really love a 500gb iPod, does it have a significant impact on battery life ?

No difference in battery life at all. But I believe I have an exceptional Classic. I have never had a problem with my battery, but I also use it mostly in a dock player or connected to my radio in the car. I have no knowledge about any other iPods as I have only ever owned the classic. Give them a call first at the link I supplied and they may have a bigger HDD than they have listed. Guys are really knowledgable at that place. That is how I found out they had a 500 GB HDD for my classic. Mind you, a 240 GB HDD is still pretty good. That's a lot of music.

yly3
Dec 9, 2012, 08:07 PM
Thank you. I will mail them for more info.
Trust me, I am a music freak but being able to have your entire music colection in those long car journeys and in general in your pocket is a feature more important than all those new Apple cloud data fields ;) (for me anyway).

firedept
Dec 9, 2012, 08:29 PM
Thank you. I will mail them for more info.
Trust me, I am a music freak but being able to have your entire music colection in those long car journeys and in general in your pocket is a feature more important than all those new Apple cloud data fields ;) (for me anyway).

Oh do I agree with you on that point. Apple called it a classic for a reason. Mine will never go out of style. It is the best traveling companion you could ask for. I do a lot of hiking in the Rocky Mountains and that is when I really appreciate it. Got all my music and a lot of movies for when I set up camp at night. Good luck with iPod Centre. Smart people there.

racoop
Dec 9, 2012, 11:04 PM
Love mine too! I was happy to hear a salesman at the Apple Store tell me that these still sell very well.

yocko
Dec 10, 2012, 02:07 AM
my old 160gig was dying... i went to the apple store and told them the battery was dying (which was also teh case) but it hardly responded anymore.. the clickwheel you had to press really hard... and for 55 bucks i got a refurb... a new one, a thinner one... happy as a dog! God i oove that machine.... especially on those long 12 hour intercontinental flights

AnonMac50
Dec 10, 2012, 11:27 AM
From the "Big" iPods, I have a 40 GB 4th Gen, and an 80 GB 5.5 Gen. Love them both, but I use the 5.5 Gen more.

yly3
Dec 11, 2012, 07:31 AM
Yeah, the 5.5G is the best iPod (at least classic) IMO.

the click-wheel feels bigger and much more responsive than my ex-160gb Classic, it has the search function with a much brighter screen and I prefer the polycarbonate to aluminium when ot comes to iPods.

It also is critically viewed as the one with the best Sound Quality.

Minarets
Dec 12, 2012, 12:33 PM
I have a 120 Gig that was acting up recently. I have asked for a new 160 gig for Xmas from my wife.

I wish it was SDD and not HDD but I have 100+gig of music and I love having my entire collection on me when I need it.

Now for a decent case for the classic?

firedept
Dec 12, 2012, 02:47 PM
I have a 120 Gig that was acting up recently. I have asked for a new 160 gig for Xmas from my wife.

I wish it was SDD and not HDD but I have 100+gig of music and I love having my entire collection on me when I need it.

Now for a decent case for the classic?

Here is a link to the company where I got a case for my classic. http://www.iskin.com/ They are called iSkin. I use the iSkin claro for my classic. My classic which is a few years old looks like the day I bought it. They have many other cases to choose from. Check them out, you may find something that could work for you.

sinser
Dec 13, 2012, 11:25 PM
I LOVE MINE. One of the best iDevices Apple has ever produced :)

jrtdot
Dec 14, 2012, 03:27 AM
Anyone know of any reputable replacement centres in the Toronto area?

superstarmc
Jan 10, 2013, 11:36 AM
I still have my 60 gig iPod Photo from 2004. It works great. I had an issue about 3 years ago with it as it wouldn't hold a charge anymore. So I bought a new one and threw the old one in a drawer. I found it about a year ago and started messing with it. Come to find out the 30 pin dock connector had lifted off the circuit board. So I ordered a broken ipod on ebay for $10, removed that 30 pin connector and soldered it to my old iPod. Now it works like a champ. I replaced the battery and LCD screen at the same time and now it's like new.

This is the one I'm still using from 2005. I found it in a desk drawer full of stuff last year and forgot how much I loved it. Used from phone for music for a long time but now switched back. 400 bucks for a 64 gb phone is too much for me.

SingularityG
Jan 10, 2013, 02:56 PM
I bought mine 80GB iPod Classic some five years ago. It has fallen a countless of times, the wheel is scarred, but it still works as perfectly as the day I bought it plus the battery doesn't seem to have weakened, at all.

It's a classic, irreplaceable, immortal!

ultra7k
Jan 10, 2013, 06:12 PM
If I wanted to swap out the 30gb hdd in my 5.5 video, what are my options for a bigger sized drive? I've replaced it once before, and have no problems replacing that sort of thing, I just don't know if certain drives are recognized, or how high I can go.

I kind of don't want to replace the shell though, which I have read is necessary on some upgrades.

Tulani
Jan 10, 2013, 10:53 PM
Eat your hearts out guys.... I had to snap at my priced possession, forgive me ;)

KeithJenner
Jan 11, 2013, 08:03 AM
I know I'm in the minority here, but I sold my Classic a year or so ago, because I never got on with the wheel.

Perhaps it's because I got into Apple devices via the iPhone, but I just found it a really cumbersome way to navigate through my music collection.

I know a lot of people were using the wheels a long time before touch screens, so maybe that is a reason why they prefer them. For me, if I wanted to listen to an album starting with, for example, "T", it was a nightmare to try to navigate to it.

Far happier with my 64gb Touch, which holds a decent chunk of music plus iTunes Match on my phone in case I want to listen to a specific track that isn't on the Touch.

Zolos
Jan 12, 2013, 04:47 PM
The button and spin interface was great initially, but it's time for an upgrade. I have a selection of about 7,000 songs and I'm tired of spinning, spinning, spinning past and back to a song that I'm trying to locate. Moving to iPod Touch, but would love the storage of a classic.

someone28624
Jan 12, 2013, 05:30 PM
The button and spin interface was great initially, but it's time for an upgrade. I have a selection of about 7,000 songs and I'm tired of spinning, spinning, spinning past and back to a song that I'm trying to locate. Moving to iPod Touch, but would love the storage of a classic.

I find scrolling, scrolling, scrolling way more obnoxious than spinning.

Mdwall
Jan 12, 2013, 07:27 PM
I find scrolling, scrolling, scrolling way more obnoxious than spinning.

Another reason I came back to the classic. Sometimes an interface doesn't have to change if its done right. Some mistake tried and true for old and tired

Krafty
Jan 15, 2013, 10:21 AM
Does anyone still as lucky to have owned this 160Gig storage music player? Despite it being a vintage device don't you think this has been one great gadget to come out of apple? Yes the one with the click dial in front.
Yes. I am never letting it go.

LotusLord
Jan 15, 2013, 03:33 PM
My main iPod is a 5.5 Gen 80gig. I got it as a graduation gift in 07 and use it nearly every day. It primarily remains in the car. I have (or maybe had) a 160 gig classic that I either lost or was stolen. I too love the interface. I'd love if they could add wifi to it so I wouldn't have to plug it in to sync it.

ultra7k
Jan 15, 2013, 05:31 PM
I've seen people sub compact flash drives into their 5.5 videos. has anyone here done this swap?

Any difference in speeds?

Yoshi Yogurt
Jan 16, 2013, 12:51 PM
Just got a 160gig 7th gen in the mail from amazon. Loving it so far.

Question though, is it supposed to constantly make whining noises? Sounds like the HDD is starting up and stopping all the time.

Tulani
Jan 16, 2013, 02:34 PM
Just got a 160gig 7th gen in the mail from amazon. Loving it so far.

Question though, is it supposed to constantly make whining noises? Sounds like the HDD is starting up and stopping all the time.

That's how it is but the sounds are not really distracting as you put it ;)

Yoshi Yogurt
Jan 16, 2013, 08:56 PM
That's how it is but the sounds are not really distracting as you put it ;)

Yea, I only heard it because I was in my room and there was absolutely no noise around. Definitely won't hear it with headphones on/IEMS in.

I was screwing around in coverflow and scrolling through hundreds of albums just to test this thing out and it is of course going to make the HDD constantly look info up. During actual listening they're definitely won't be as much stress.

TheMTtakeover
Jan 16, 2013, 10:36 PM
Love my classic; Couldn't imagine being without it. Its the only apple mobile device that will hold my library.

WilliamDu
Jan 17, 2013, 02:56 PM
Does anyone have any idea how long the Buyer's Guide has been saying this?

I think it's important to have some warning of what an update configuration might be, to allow for a quick purchase from the remaining stock of the current model in case Apple decides to do something stupid and update the Classic by eliminating the click wheel.

They've made some really bad decisions on the new 2012 iMac update, so it's probably 50/50 that they'll make some more if they update the Classic.

combatcolin
Jan 17, 2013, 03:26 PM
The iPod Classic has been "stuck" in its current specifaction for the past 3 years.

At 1st it was just plain annoying to those hoping for an upgrade, but it's looking increasing likely that Apple may bin it altogether.

But some of us are living in Hope.

:(

BornAgainMac
Jan 17, 2013, 03:30 PM
Does anyone have any idea how long the Buyer's Guide has been saying this?

Updates Soon since 2010. You just have to pretend the updates will be soon.

Swampthing
Jan 18, 2013, 04:21 AM
I've always had one version of the classic since the first iPod. Always my main device for listening to podcasts, songs, and audio books on long commutes or weekend drives.

But there is room for improvement. During every Apple product launch, I secretly hope to hear about a significant capacity bump, addition of a retina screen, or a much thinner version of the iPod classic. Let's keep making it the Big Daddy of the whole line!

Alas, it appears Apple believes the iPod touch to be heir of the iPod classic.

vmachiel
Jan 20, 2013, 08:15 AM
The iPod Classic has been "stuck" in its current specifaction for the past 3 years.

At 1st it was just plain annoying to those hoping for an upgrade, but it's looking increasing likely that Apple may bin it altogether.

But some of us are living in Hope.

:(

I don't think it will ever receive an upgrade. They keep selling, but the market has become to much of a niche. I've actually bought one this Christmas, simply due to the huge capacity and the click wheel. But sooner or later, Apple will kill it. It has become the Mac Pro of the portables;)

iEvolution
Jan 20, 2013, 11:24 AM
The Zune and the iPod Classic were both in a league of their own in terms of capacity. I loved the Zune and wished they didn't discontinue it it offered a bigger screen and better sound quality but no 5 star rating system that I depend on nor the 160gb capacity.

I actually still currently use my 120GB classic on a near daily basis since early 2009. Its now 4 years old now and is showing a reduction in battery life so I am definitely looking to replace it with a new one soon.

iPod Classic is and has been a silent success in the iPod line. Every time I check the top mp3 player sales on amazon the iPod Classic has always been in the top 5 usually beating everything but the iPod Touch. (obviously this really isn't a true indicator of success but they are definitely a large supplier of mp3 players)

This really speaks volumes for a couple of reasons, the nano has gone through 4 revisions while the classic has remained the same, the shuffle is 1/5th the price of the classic and still can't hold a candle.

The main reason I believe Apple has thrown the classic under the bus is because of apps. I believe by underplaying the classic they will lead people to the iPod Touch which supports apps and therefore makes a better profit for the company in short term and long term. At least I believe this was the initial intention when the iPod Touch was still holding a candle to the iPhone. Now the iPad and iPhone is Apple's baby.

iPod Nano is a touch player which is a huge annoyance for those of us that want tactile feedback. Plus its stuck in 2008 with capacities of 16GB.

iPod Touch is again another touch player which is an annoyance for quick, easy access to controls. Yes you can get the earpods with remote but this doesn't answer the problem with high quality head phones as they don't have remotes. 64GB is manageable but if I want some space to grow on 64GB is not going to leave enough free space for me. Again another device thats stuck in the same old capacities we've had for years yet flash prices are WAAAAYYY down since the introduction of 64GB.

iPod Shuffle, ironically probably my second favorite iPod but it lacks capacity and a screen. Though its great for on-the-fly listening when you don't want to find yourself "looking" for a certain song all the time or at the gym.

The biggest updates I would like to see is another capacity update and a different supplier of the sound chip. Circus Logic is terrible and I wish they'd go back to Wolfson.

Rawkfist
Jan 20, 2013, 03:42 PM
The biggest updates I would like to see is another capacity update and a different supplier of the sound chip. Circus Logic is terrible and I wish they'd go back to Wolfson.[/QUOTE]

My sentiments exactly. It's not much of a change from a manufacturing standpoint but would be a huge improvement to those of us that just want a bigger, better music player.

Yoshi Yogurt
Jan 20, 2013, 07:03 PM
Great post iEvolution. Apps are of almost no use to me. There are some I've been wanting that are quite useful and a few iOS exclusive games(Rayman) are quite tempting but never enough to warrant the purchase of an Ipod touch or a new iphone(I have a 3g I got from a friend for dirt cheap, is actually a POS and can't run anything).

The classic is what I love, music, and simply that.

pooleman
Jan 20, 2013, 08:04 PM
I actually still currently use my 120GB classic on a near daily basis since early 2009. Its now 4 years old now and is showing a reduction in battery life so I am definitely looking to replace it with a new one soon.

Send me a PM if you want to sell your iPod. I am looking for an older iPod to leave plugged into my car stereo and control through the head unit. It will always be powered so a crummy battery is no big deal.

pooleman
Jan 20, 2013, 09:21 PM
Here is a link to the company where I got a case for my classic. http://www.iskin.com/ They are called iSkin. I use the iSkin claro for my classic. My classic which is a few years old looks like the day I bought it. They have many other cases to choose from. Check them out, you may find something that could work for you.

I actually prefer the "Evo" from iskin.

firedept
Jan 21, 2013, 06:16 PM
I actually prefer the "Evo" from iskin.

They are both great covers. It is just a matter of personal preference. But iSkin makes the best covers IMO.

pooleman
Jan 21, 2013, 07:42 PM
They are both great covers. It is just a matter of personal preference. But iSkin makes the best covers IMO.

Agreed.

nicholson06
Jan 22, 2013, 05:43 AM
My family has the whole series of iPods, from the first one to the iPod touch. They are all good :)

kylera
Jan 22, 2013, 06:03 AM
I have yet another reason why I keep my Classic: FM radio :D

APlotdevice
Jan 22, 2013, 06:40 AM
iPod Touch is again another touch player which is an annoyance for quick, easy access to controls. Yes you can get the earpods with remote but this doesn't answer the problem with high quality head phones as they don't have remotes.

There are quite a few third party headphones with the the remote feature, and even generic smartphone headsets with a single button can play/pause and toggle between tracks. There are also adapters that place a remote in-between your headphones and device.

iEvolution
Jan 30, 2013, 07:31 PM
There are quite a few third party headphones with the the remote feature, and even generic smartphone headsets with a single button can play/pause and toggle between tracks. There are also adapters that place a remote in-between your headphones and device.

Yeah but my "go-to" HQ head phones don't support this (Sennheiser HD495s..don't quote me on the model number there are so many different Sennheisers lol). I do use the remote earpods at the gym just so the touch gets some use on a fairly regular basis but otherwise the classic is the one that I just can't seem to let go of when it comes to music..even if the sound quality is relatively crummy compared to the competitors (Sansa Fuze+/Clip/Samsung Galaxy Player are really excellent); heck the iPod Nano/Touch actually sounds pretty good these days.

With my iPod Classic in its case hanging off my belt/pocket it is a breeze to change volume/songs..equal if not better to the remotes.

With the introduction of a 128GB iPad one has to wonder if we will see a capacity bump this year on the iPT that kills off the classic. If the iPod Touch finally gets 128GB I will probably be able to shelf my iPod Classic and get some new HQ head phones with the remote support as a relatively good replacement. Still there is always something special about the first iPod model you own. The 4G 20GB/5G 60GB were my first iPods and I've just gotten very accustomed to its design.

spyke1999
Feb 3, 2013, 03:39 PM

I have an iPod classic 160gb 7th Gen can I upgrade to 500gb

firedept
Feb 3, 2013, 06:52 PM
I have an iPod classic 160gb 7th Gen can I upgrade to 500gb

Sure can. Can upgrade to SSD as well. Just need to find someone to do it for you. Would be tough to do it on your own without proper tools.

spyke1999
Feb 3, 2013, 06:58 PM
Sure can. Can upgrade to SSD as well. Just need to find someone to do it for you. Would be tough to do it on your own without proper tools.

I know how to upgrade hdd and my friend can do ssd but where would I even find a 500gb hard drive at and what would the biggest ssd available for my ipod

firedept
Feb 3, 2013, 07:23 PM
I know how to upgrade hdd and my friend can do ssd but where would I even find a 500gb hard drive at and what would the biggest ssd available for my ipod

Cool on the do it yourself. Wish I could. The biggest SSD I have heard going into iPod was 128GB. To find a 500 HDD, try calling the people with the link I supplied in previous post. They are good people and may let you know where. You could also check Newegg, Crucial or OWC. Any one of the 3 should be good for having a supply of these drives in stock.

yly3
Feb 4, 2013, 08:11 AM
To be honest it's the first time I heard about a 500gb iPod. Would be awesome but would it actually work ? Besides not finding anything on Google, has anyone actually filled at least 250-260 gigs out of 500 ? I am talking about music only, will search function even work ? I heard stories iPod has a firmware dependent limit of songs.. So if you can't use it those 500 gigs are useless... Just a bit sceptical. But I'd be the first in line to upgrade my 5.5G

Tulani
Feb 4, 2013, 09:23 AM
I filled 160g classic iPod and it took me years of music harvesting and I don't think I have anything more to put in there. Besides you can play it without even having to repeat the same song months on end. That's some serious storage. Let alone filling 500g with music only ......

yly3
Feb 4, 2013, 09:36 AM
I don't know about you, but I have left only 6.7GB out of my 80GB video ipod. And I haven't even tried to fill it. I still have the Balance DJ Mix series to add and lots of classic rock stuff from 60-80s era. I mostly have best of 2010-2012 music covering all the genres plus my favourite music of 00s. The high capacity ipod is the true music lover/collector gagdet. You have to be one to trully understand it, in my opinion.

spyke1999
Feb 4, 2013, 08:44 PM
I have 200gigs of music on my computer I've filled more than one iPod before they broke

palmharbor
Feb 14, 2013, 12:18 PM
I read many esoteric issues of little consequence to most readers but the basic issue of "how do I view music or how do I delete
music from the shuffle" seems to be without any answer at all.
iTunes 11 absolutely does not permit it and unlike a common thumb drive, contents seemingly cannot be viewed.
Can anyone imagine a computer that has a hard drive that does not permit you to view contents and does not permit you to delete any file???????? Would anyone buy it? What would be the thinking behind that computer?