Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheBigKing

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
PR
looking for good ones SOUL by Ludacris SL49 or klipsich any recommendations ??

iSensei

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2012
Just use the ones that came with your iPhone (5)...they kick ass. If you really want to do a good deed and got 80 dollars to blow, just donate it to whatever local charity you have...

greenchiliman

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2010
Chicago
I got Spyder's which have inline mic and phone controls. It was $89 (MSRP is $99 but it was $10 off). I would peruse head-fi.org for some fantastic headphone reviews. They will definitely set you straight on what you want in your price range.

VeridisQuo

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2012
I really loved the Atomic Bass 2s, and they can be had for around $30 shipped. Monster Turbine were pretty good too, you can find em under $80 if you look around, but I prefer ed the sound of the AB2's more, had clearer bass to me. It really just depends on what type of music you listen to.

nd3eb

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011
Klipsch s4i's are great...

I'd stay away from soul by ludacris.

I used the s4i's until I upgraded to the x10's which are normally hundreds of dollars but amazon had them on sale for Black Friday...

myfavoritePA

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2012
USA
I don't know if you are considering an in-ear or over ear style, but if you don't mind an IEM, check out the Monoprice 8320's (~$10). Don't let the price fool you...they are pretty amazing if you're looking for some nice (yet not muddy) bass.

Don't take my word for it...check out the reviews on head-fi.

Gofre

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
On ear: Phillips Citiscape Downtown
Over ear: Phillips MDR V6
In ear: Vsonic GR06

All sit around the $70 mark on Amazon.

Elvergun

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2011
Just use the ones that came with your iPhone (5)...they kick ass. If you really want to do a good deed and got 80 dollars to blow, just donate it to whatever local charity you have...

I agree.

None of the models suggested so far are really that good...at least not as good as the stock Apple headphones.

For something a little better than the Apple headphones, here are a few suggestions:
Sony MH1
Vsonic VC02
Vsonic GR06

nharrietha

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2012
Canada
Under $80 is an iffy budget for IEMs, I would recommend checking out Fischer Audio.
+1 on the Etymotics.

None of the models suggested so far are really that good...at least not as good as the stock Apple headphones.
The Klipsch headphones would definitely be better than the Earpods. :rolleyes:

Elvergun

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2011
Under $80 is an iffy budget for IEMs, I would recommend checking out Fischer Audio.
+1 on the Etymotics.

The Klipsch headphones would definitely be better than the Earpods. :rolleyes:

I don't think so...the new Apple headphones are really, really good. I listen to my set all morning, and now I'm listening to my Etymotic HF5 - I like how both sound. They have different signatures, yet both are great headphones. The Klipsch model has an exaggerated bass response. If you like the bloated bass of something like Beats headphones, then the Klipsch model might seem like an excellent choice.

radicalDESIGNZ

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2010
the JVC-HA-S400/500; rather new to the market and s500 is only available overseas or in Japan if I'm not mistaken. I have the s400 and at about ~$28 I think its the best headphones I ever had. They have a nice white color that matches really nice with a white iPhone.

nharrietha

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2012
Canada
I don't think so...the new Apple headphones are really, really good. I listen to my set all morning, and now I'm listening to my Etymotic HF5 - I like how both sound. They have different signatures, yet both are great headphones. The Klipsch model has an exaggerated bass response. If you like the bloated bass of something like Beats headphones, then the Klipsch model might seem like an excellent choice.
I understand that sound is subjective, but the Earpods honestly sound HORRIBLE! I mean, they're better than the old stock buds, but that's really not saying much. A pair of $25 Sennheisers would sound better than the Earpods.

Elvergun

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2011
I understand that sound is subjective, but the Earpods honestly sound HORRIBLE! I mean, they're better than the old stock buds, but that's really not saying much. A pair of $25 Sennheisers would sound better than the Earpods.

If you were talking about IEMs, I'd say that there is a fit issue at hand.

A bunch of members over at headfi.org, seem to like the new Apple headphones. Some people in a couple of the threads over there are not too impressed though. I wonder if some don't like them because they are from Apple and they are come "free" with an iPhone. They are really quite good.

buddybd

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
Earpods are great as it comes free. But if you were to buy something, then this shouldn't be at the top of anyone's list. You can get much better for a slightly higher price, and that's easily worthwhile.

This did shake up <$30 IEM market. I've been using it for the last couple of days, it hurts my ears a lot but the audio quality is decent for something that came with the phone.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I understand that sound is subjective
^ People seem to keep forgetting this. If you're asking for recommendations then make sure the person giving you the recommendation has comparable preferences to your own. Better yet, try out the options and find what suits you best.

nharrietha

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2012
Canada
A bunch of members over at headfi.org, seem to like the new Apple headphones. Some people in a couple of the threads over there are not too impressed though. I wonder if some don't like them because they are from Apple and they are come "free" with an iPhone. They are really quite good.
I don't really see any pros with them besides the fact that they are free. The fit may stay in your ear, but headphones that have a plastic fitting like that give a HORRID seal resulting in bad sound. I would still recommend Comply tips if you don't like the fit of regular IEMs. The majority of people that have tried Comply enjoy them.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
I bought the klipsch in ears and I am completely stunned by the rave reviews they're receiving. They sound completely average and mediocre. If I had paid $10 to $15, I wouldn't complain.

But I paid $40; at that price, they're disappointing; and the price is typically significantly higher than that.

The new apple earpods sound significantly better at a far lower price point.

I'm going to give the klipsch's another run, but so far they sound like crap.

Macnificant

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
I have alot of experience with headphones as Ive been using them 25-30 hours a week for the last 8 years.

Right now I am using the Monster iSport Immersion. I have used them while running/cylcing the last 9 months close to 400 hours and very happy with sound and staying put in my ears

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.