Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
After trading in my Sprint ipad mini for a VZ I realized I wasted $40 on a 99% good zagg shield install. I picked up the $4 (including shipping) skinomi when it was on sale for a penny, but still went to Best Buy and paid for the install because I cant install these things worth a damn and if its perfect its worth it.

Got it home tonight and there's a small black speck that got underneath the protector and its kind of driving me nuts, especially because I paid for it.

Q: is having a small speck just the price of having a screen protector? The zagg had a speck too but it was not quite as dark and I could live with it.

If I ask for a best buy refund i get my install fee back but I lose the skinomi, $4, and would have to spend like $20 again if I wanted another shield.

Or I could just go protectorless and chalk this up to a $45 mistake- IMO relatively costly for a net result of nothing.

cbb77

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2012
I also use to experience constant specks / dust particles when putting on screen protectors on my devices. However, I now have been able to put on a screen protector about 99.9% of the time dust free. The trick / method I have been following has been to apply the screen protectors in a steamed up bathroom. I did not come up with this method, but read about it in another forum and figured I'd try it. Low and behold it works like a charm. Something to do with the steam removing the dust particles from the air. Anyway, key is to steam up the bathroom a bit, to where the mirror is about fogged up. Then begin to clean and apply the screen protector. With this method I have applied over a dozen different screen protectors, phone and tablets, dust free. Note, I have only used dry screen protectors. To me the SGP branded screen protectors are one of the best on the market and much better than any wet application screen protector. Anyway, those are the ones that I have applied. Again, have been extremely successful. I recommend buying a cheapo $2 screen protector for something and trying it out if skeptical. I was myself at first and now this is the only method I will use to apply a protector on one of my devices.

Good luck.

Autokon

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
CA
Tons of practice. A steamed bathroom is VERY helpful. And scotch tape (roll around your finger), lift edge, gently touch dust particle w/ tape...lay edge down.

But mainly, practice.

HoosierInFL

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2007
I've become very good at putting screen protectors on. There is one trick that works for me every time:

Take a piece of scotch tape that is a bit wider than your device. Stick it the device at the top of the screen. Peel it off then place it a little bit lower than you did the first time. Keep working the tape all the way down the screen until you've done the entire screen. Then do the whole process a second time. This eliminates all those little particles that cause those annoying bubbles.

bursthead

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
After trading in my Sprint ipad mini for a VZ I realized I wasted $40 on a 99% good zagg shield install. I picked up the $4 (including shipping) skinomi when it was on sale for a penny, but still went to Best Buy and paid for the install because I cant install these things worth a damn and if its perfect its worth it.

Got it home tonight and there's a small black speck that got underneath the protector and its kind of driving me nuts, especially because I paid for it.

Q: is having a small speck just the price of having a screen protector? The zagg had a speck too but it was not quite as dark and I could live with it.

If I ask for a best buy refund i get my install fee back but I lose the skinomi, $4, and would have to spend like $20 again if I wanted another shield.

Or I could just go protectorless and chalk this up to a $45 mistake- IMO relatively costly for a net result of nothing.

You do know zagg has a free replacement for one year. In addition all you have to pay is shipping and handling.

So you could of got a new zagg after you used it on the sprint ipad mini.

http://www.zagg.com/support/faq.php#13_37

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.