Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iNikos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
Hello everyone,

I would like your help.

I have a MacBook April 2008 13,3'' White model and I need to buy a new top case.

Do you know if Version 2 A1181 is compatible? Furthermore do you know if I can find it in its Greek Keyboard Version?

Thanks a million.

Regards,

iNikos

iDutchman

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2010
Amsterdam, NL
2008 MacBooks are stil under warranty ( that is, top case warranty) and eligible for top case replacements.
I know they charge around 100 euro's for an out-of-warranty replacement.

Best bet would be an Apple Store. I don't know about their availability in Greece.

iNikos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
Thanks a lot iDutchman!

Yeh you are right I contacted on Friday the Apple store and I was informed that a brand new top case costs 174 euros (VAT included).

Tha bad thing is that I bought my laptop on August 2008 so my guarantee has been expired a few months ago...

That's why I am wondering if the top case model I have found online (version 2 A1181) is compatible with my Apple MacBook.

Thanks a lot once again!

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
You need version 3 - and you need the Euro style (rather than the US style)

There should be a 5 year replacement on the keyboard/topcase through Apple - assuming that it has cracks on the front edge !!

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
You need version 3 - and you need the Euro style (rather than the US style)

There should be a 5 year replacement on the keyboard/topcase through Apple - assuming that it has cracks on the front edge !!

It's 4.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
What's 4 ? The warranty extension for the topcase ?

For early 2008 it is 5 years, for late 2008's and the 2009's it is 3 years (as far as I am aware....)

It's 4 years from the date of first registration for any E1 quality program (which is what the top case falls under), for the top case quality program no matter which - although they disable them in batches, so you may get slightly over the 4 years.

The newer one's (unibody) don't have a limit per-se as they aren't the same kind of quality program (for the top case, the rubber bottom case falls under E1 and has 4 years).

iNikos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
Thanks a lot once again iDutchman, bma and Iogana,

I have contacted Apple Greece where I was informed that my 2008 model is covered under a 5 year quarantee regarding its top case cause.

They were aware of the problem cause they have faced many similar problems in the past.

I will be able to change it for free.

Thanks a lot for your time once again!

All the best,

iNikos

iDutchman

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2010
Amsterdam, NL
Thanks a lot once again iDutchman, bma and Iogana,

I have contacted Apple Greece where I was informed that my 2008 model is covered under a 5 year quarantee regarding its top case cause.

They were aware of the problem cause they have faced many similar problems in the past.

I will be able to change it for free.

Thanks a lot for your time once again!

All the best,

iNikos

That's what I meant. The MacBook mid-2007 model black or white is currently the oldest model eligible for the free top case ( + screen bezel) replacement. After 5 years, the machines becomes 'vintage' and has no support for anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.