Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ashley0609

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
I'm looking to swap the hard drive in my MBP to an SSD and as it will only be for word processing am looking for either 64GB or 128GB. I was just wander if firstly my MBP can operate ML? It's a 2.53 C2D with 4GB of RAM. Secondly, would there be a difference it was install it on a 64GB or 128GB SSD?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I'm looking to swap the hard drive in my MBP to an SSD and as it will only be for word processing am looking for either 64GB or 128GB. I was just wander if firstly my MBP can operate ML? It's a 2.53 C2D with 4GB of RAM. Secondly, would there be a difference it was install it on a 64GB or 128GB SSD?
2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo with 4 GB RAM exceeds the minimum for Mountain Lion, so you're good to go there. As for your SSD size question, if the SSD brand is the same, differences in performance would not be noticed, even in the worst case scenarios. Therefore, it all comes down to finding a compatible SSD, and choosing one based on your storage needs.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
Why do you want Mountain Lion? Snow Leopard is way superior. There are several thredas about this in the forum.

Dont make an OS upgrade, but if you want to upgrade your hardware, go ahed, Mountain Lion is more of less not so bad, and once you install the proper 3rd party apps, its kinda ok to use, and the hardware upgrade is welcome.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Why do you want Mountain Lion? Snow Leopard is way superior. There are several thredas about this in the forum.

Dont make an OS upgrade, but if you want to upgrade your hardware, go ahed, Mountain Lion is more of less not so bad, and once you install the proper 3rd party apps, its kinda ok to use, and the hardware upgrade is welcome.

Please, try not to "state" that an older OS is way superior.... :rolleyes:

For many Snow Leopard might be a better OS, but for most the iCloud integration alone makes Mountain Lion better.

These threads happen every time. With every new OS lots of techies state that the older OS is "way superior".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.