PDA

View Full Version : What Ideas From Android Should Apple Look At For iOS 7?

irDigital0l
Dec 9, 2012, 06:26 PM
Apple over the years has taken quite a few ideas from Android. You gotta admit some of them are pretty good.

-Notification Center
-Open apps from lockscreen
-Wireless syncing
-iCloud syncing
-OTA updates
-Tabbed browsing
-Split keyboard
-Facebook & Twitter integration

I've been looking at some Android devices and some of them have really good features that would be good on the iPhone. Hopefully iOS 7 has some of these...

-Widgets (or live icons, tiles, anything more unique than bland icons)
-Expandable, actionable notifications
-Gesture typing
-Multi-Window (better multitasking features)

cmChimera
Dec 9, 2012, 06:28 PM
Stolen is pretty subjective, and some of those features being claimed as from any source besides Apple is just wrong. iCloud?

irDigital0l
Dec 9, 2012, 06:31 PM
Stolen is pretty subjective, and some of those features being claimed as from any source besides Apple is just wrong. iCloud?

I never said stolen...

Being inspired and copying someone is different than stealing something.

Plus Jobs said ""Picasso had a saying: 'Good artists copy, great artists steal.' We have always been shameless about stealing great ideas...I think part of what made the Macintosh great was that the people working on it were musicians, poets, artists, zoologists and historians who also happened to be the best computer scientists in the world."

So even if I did say steal (which isn't accurate at all), its still ok.

cmChimera
Dec 9, 2012, 06:34 PM
I never said stolen...

Being inspired and copying someone is different than stealing something.

Plus Jobs said ""Picasso had a saying: 'Good artists copy, great artists steal.' We have always been shameless about stealing great ideas...I think part of what made the Macintosh great was that the people working on it were musicians, poets, artists, zoologists and historians who also happened to be the best computer scientists in the world."

So even if I did say steal (which isn't accurate at all), its still ok.

I meant to type copied. My mistake. I would still say that copied is a strong word in some of your examples.

irDigital0l
Dec 9, 2012, 06:35 PM
I meant to type copied. My mistake. I would still say that copied is a strong word in some of your examples.

Updated the title.

CK1Czar
Dec 9, 2012, 06:40 PM
Weren't some of these ideas in the iOS jailbreak community before Android had them?

irDigital0l
Dec 9, 2012, 06:50 PM
Weren't some of these ideas in the iOS jailbreak community before Android had them?

Possibly but that's not the point.

What ideas from Android should Apple take a look at for iOS?

Beeplance
Dec 9, 2012, 06:51 PM
If iOS 7 had settings toggles in notification center which everyone wanted so badly, it will really be copying Android. I mean if you put an iPhone and an Android phone beside each other, and you can swipe down from both phones and toggle settings, if that isn't copying, I don't know what is.:confused:

irDigital0l
Dec 9, 2012, 06:55 PM
If iOS 7 had settings toggles in notification center which everyone wanted so badly, it will really be copying Android. I mean if you put an iPhone and an Android phone beside each other, and you can swipe down from both phones and toggle settings, if that isn't copying, I don't know what is.:confused:

Who cares if iOS gets a few things from Android. People forget that Android also copied a ton of things from iOS (Game Center, Siri, Airplay, etc)

Beeplance
Dec 9, 2012, 07:00 PM
Who cares if iOS gets a few things from Android. People forget that Android also copied a ton of things from iOS (Game Center, Siri, Airplay, etc)

That may be so, but the folks over at Mountain View may not be impressed. Isn't this kind of stuff patented or something? The last thing we need is another saga of lawsuits over minor stuff like this which a company could've avoided.

Not sure anyway. Just my 2 cents.

nickchallis92
Dec 9, 2012, 07:32 PM
Quite frankly if Apple copied anything from Android, they'd be moving in the right direction

NT1440
Dec 9, 2012, 07:35 PM
Possibly but that's not the point.

What ideas from Android should Apple take a look at for iOS?

Why does it seem from your post that you think only Android has good ideas to be had?

The vast majority of this was available from the jailbreak community before Android ever had it. So whom is leading who?

irDigital0l
Dec 9, 2012, 07:41 PM
Why does it seem from your post that you think only Android has good ideas to be had?

The vast majority of this was available from the jailbreak community before Android ever had it. So whom is leading who?

I think I mentioned this in previous post...

"People forget that Android also copied a ton of things from iOS (Game Center, Siri, Airplay, etc)"

You either have to literally blind or won't accept that Android has some pretty good ideas right now.

Some of these would really benefit iOS. Just asking which ones might be implemented well to iOS.

zbarvian
Dec 9, 2012, 08:36 PM
Apple over the years has taken quite a few ideas from Android. You gotta admit some of them are pretty good.

-Notification Center
-Wireless syncing
-iCloud syncing
-OTA updates
-Tabbed browsing
-Split keyboard

What? Notification Center, obviously, but everything else no...

irDigital0l
Dec 9, 2012, 08:45 PM
What? Notification Center, obviously, but everything else no...

Are you saying that Apple didn't look at what Android had and implemented a few of there ideas?

What's wrong with Apple copying some of Android's ideas?

roxxette
Dec 9, 2012, 08:51 PM
They should get rid of the home button and welcome on screen buttons :) back,home,task switcher nuff said; best thing i love of my nexus 4.

TacticalDesire
Dec 9, 2012, 08:52 PM

Apple would NEVER do such a thing! All of these things are your list Apple created and everyone else copied because they're so innovative :rolleyes:.

Skika
Dec 9, 2012, 08:58 PM
They should get rid of the home button and welcome on screen buttons :) back,home,task switcher nuff said; best thing i love of my nexus 4.

How bout no.

zbarvian
Dec 9, 2012, 09:08 PM
Are you saying that Apple didn't look at what Android had and implemented a few of there ideas?

Nothing's wrong with copying, I just don't see the connection with your examples.

Axious
Dec 9, 2012, 09:14 PM
I have to agree with the OP. Apple got the inspiration from some of android featues. What they really need is the predictive text above the keyboard like android has

sers
Dec 9, 2012, 09:34 PM
Just 2 things for me:

- toggle settings from the task bar (wifi, Bluetooth, etc.)
- an app/ task killer (I hate having to kill apps one by one)

If Apple did this, I'd be very happy:D

roxxette
Dec 9, 2012, 09:36 PM
How bout no.

Yeah because keeping a button that breaks its a nice idea.....

irDigital0l
Dec 9, 2012, 10:28 PM
Nothing's wrong with copying, I just don't see the connection with your examples.

I'm not saying that Android invented everything like Facebook integration or wireless syncing.

Its just that compared to Apple, they were first. Over the years Apple has added features that Android had.

Now Android has some new features, just wondering any ideas Apple should look out for.

zbarvian
Dec 9, 2012, 11:21 PM

Idk, you can argue it both ways really. I personally don't like it, but I'm not sure I would really dig on screen buttons either. And the 4 had problems with slowly unresponsive home buttons, not sure if any other models have.

roxxette
Dec 9, 2012, 11:37 PM
Idk, you can argue it both ways really. I personally don't like it, but I'm not sure I would really dig on screen buttons either. And the 4 had problems with slowly unresponsive home buttons, not sure if any other models have.

While none of the home buttons on the iphones i had broke it is common plus you can bet the only trouble onscreen will have is if you break the touch.

Having 3 main options its really a joy, specially one just for app switcher :) i really hate the double tap wich imo is the culprit with unresponsive buttons.

zbarvian
Dec 9, 2012, 11:44 PM
While none of the home buttons on the iphones i had broke it is common plus you can bet the only trouble onscreen will have is if you break the touch.

Having 3 main options its really a joy, specially one just for app switcher :) i really hate the double tap wich imo is the culprit with unresponsive buttons.

Yeah but with onscreen buttons you accidentally hit them, they take screen real estate, and just aren't as satisfying as physical feedback. Idk, I think we just need gestures for more things, I also hate using the home button for multitasking or Siri.

SomeDudeAsking
Dec 10, 2012, 01:21 AM

I would sue Apple for copying the look and feel of Android.......like Apple sues for rounded corners.

SlCKB0Y
Dec 10, 2012, 01:24 AM
The vast majority of this was available from the jailbreak community before Android ever had it.

Link?

Soundflunky
Dec 10, 2012, 02:43 AM
Link?
There's probably no one link. You could trudge through years of posts in the hacks section if you feel like it.

dazed
Dec 10, 2012, 02:43 AM

If it breaks, you're pressing it wrong :p

SlCKB0Y
Dec 10, 2012, 02:51 AM
People forget that Android also copied a ton of things from iOS (Game Center, Siri, Airplay, etc)

Whats the Android version of Game Center and Airplay?

----------

There's probably no one link. You could trudge through years of posts in the hacks section if you feel like it.

Sorry, what I meant was I was more interested in what features the other poster thought Android borrowed from the Jailbreak community.

irDigital0l
Dec 10, 2012, 05:22 PM
Whats the Android version of Game Center and Airplay?[COLOR="#808080"]

Game Hub and Swipe-It.

They're kinda like those...

canucksfan88
Dec 10, 2012, 09:45 PM
i would love a ncsettings type thing in notification centre.

i turn wifi off when i leave the house and would love a quick way for that.
also for brightness, silent, and flashlight maybe.

that is the only reason i jb before

faroZ06
Dec 10, 2012, 09:55 PM
Not having Game Center would be a great feature.

Zwhaler
Dec 10, 2012, 10:10 PM

-Notification Center
-Wireless syncing
-iCloud syncing
-OTA updates
-Tabbed browsing
-Split keyboard

I've been looking at some Android devices and some of them have really good features that would be good on the iPhone. Hopefully iOS 7 has some of these...

-Gesture typing

Where's quick settings? Not having easy access to WiFi, Bluetooth, BRIGHTNESS is insulting.

----------

Not having Game Center would be a great feature.

Lol & News Stand!

HankHowdy
Dec 10, 2012, 11:31 PM
Just 2 things for me:

There is no need to close apps with iOS. Killing apps are a waste of time. I can't remember the last time I closed an app. I have good battery life and it never crashes. Reboot... What's a reboot. iOS is like android is this regard, there are no need for task killers or closing apps.

Nale72
Dec 11, 2012, 02:43 AM
- Toggle settings from the task bar (wifi, Bluetooth, etc.).
- The predictive text above the keyboard like android has, with several suggestions (where you click on the one you want or click space if you want the highlighted).
- Some widgets. I mostly miss my scrollable calendar widget on main screen.
- No limit on the number of apps in a folder.
- Ability to freeze/hide (or uninstall if possible) apps that come preinstalled that you don't want to use/see (News stand, Game center etc.).

brylliant
Dec 11, 2012, 07:01 AM
Would love some sort of live-ness in IOS 7.
Perhaps live wallpapers? Or even a panoramic wallpaper?

sc4rf4c3
Dec 11, 2012, 10:53 AM
I would love to have an app drawer that I can hide or close.

NT1440
Dec 11, 2012, 10:56 AM
Link?

I used to be a member of sites like jailbreakme.com amongst others. Coders come up with some amazing things to use for themselves, then gladly pass them along to others. Like the other poster stated, you'd have to dig through thousands of threads to get everything, but there is amazing amount of innovation that occurred in these places way before the big companies implemented those ideas.

nickchallis92
Dec 11, 2012, 11:30 AM
I would love to have an app drawer that I can hide or close.

makes having a background on an iPhone irrelevant

kirky29
Dec 11, 2012, 11:37 AM
More gestures, toggles, panoramic backgrounds, slide left to unlock into XX app, app sharing info, better live multitasking view, actual multitasking, battery usage viewer.....so many!

zbarvian
Dec 11, 2012, 11:41 AM
More gestures, toggles, panoramic backgrounds, slide left to unlock into XX app, app sharing info, better live multitasking view, actual multitasking, battery usage viewer.....so many!

Why actual multitasking? Just wondering

kirky29
Dec 11, 2012, 12:45 PM

Mainly so things actually upload or download in the background, example Spotify could keep downloading music after the background timeout. Same with Dropbox or Facebook uploads etc

:)

zbarvian
Dec 11, 2012, 01:35 PM
Mainly so things actually upload or download in the background, example Spotify could keep downloading music after the background timeout. Same with Dropbox or Facebook uploads etc

:)

I thought there was an API for that, maybe it's not implemented or nonexistent, hm.

kirky29
Dec 11, 2012, 01:43 PM
I thought there was an API for that, maybe it's not implemented or nonexistent, hm.

There might be! I'm not fully sure, but I know most of the time I use apps like Dropbox or Spotify, if I quit the app after a few minutes it stops whatever it's doing! - I appreciate this saves battery, but sometimes if you're uploading 100 photos you wanna be able to do something else whilst its uploading, right?

walie
Dec 11, 2012, 04:25 PM
makes having a background on an iPhone irrelevant

eh?

G-Force
Dec 13, 2012, 03:24 PM
Pretty much the only thing I miss about Android is sharing between apps. It was super easy to share articles etc. from app X to app Y (say a news app to WhatsApp).

irDigital0l
Dec 13, 2012, 08:15 PM
Pretty much the only thing I miss about Android is sharing between apps. It was super easy to share articles etc. from app X to app Y (say a news app to WhatsApp).

Yea its pretty funny when Apple deems Faceboook/Twitter integration has a HUGE upgrade.

roxxette
Dec 13, 2012, 10:37 PM
Yea its pretty funny when Apple deems Faceboook/Twitter integration has a HUGE upgrade.

Some people think twitter and facebook integration was a apple thing and worst some think its better on iOS :o

irDigital0l
Dec 22, 2012, 04:02 PM

Could work great for the iPad with its larger display.

zbarvian
Dec 22, 2012, 07:28 PM
Could work great for the iPad with its larger display.

Do you mean running two apps on the same screen then?

irDigital0l
Dec 22, 2012, 11:28 PM
Do you mean running two apps on the same screen then?

That too...what I meant was the Mountain Style type of multitasking...

You could see more than just an icon.

Tunnelrunner
Dec 22, 2012, 11:39 PM
There's an Android app called "App Lock" that allows you to individually (or mass) security-lock certain apps. I've been pining for that to come to iOS for years now - whether via 3rd party app or otherwise. I know it's available via jailbreak, but I'd like it to come to us pure users.
I'd also throw in something similar to Android's new predictive assistant Google Now but I'm thinking (hoping) that Google will probably release the app for iOS in 2013 anyway.

zbarvian
Dec 23, 2012, 01:17 AM
That too...what I meant was the Mountain Style type of multitasking...

You could see more than just an icon.

I'd definitely be down for that. Mission Control should find its way into iOS in some form or another.

Rosh
Dec 23, 2012, 05:58 AM
The S3 allows for videos to be played at the same time as browsing the Internet or sending a text, the idea is good and would work well on the ipad but for the size or a phone I think it's pointless. I feel like apples innovation has disappeared

irDigital0l
Dec 23, 2012, 02:15 PM
The S3 allows for videos to be played at the same time as browsing the Internet or sending a text, the idea is good and would work well on the ipad but for the size or a phone I think it's pointless. I feel like apples innovation has disappeared

Honestly I don't think Apple should add that feature as it would be lackluster on the iPhone 5's small 4 inch screen. It makes sense for phones closer to 4.8-5 inches to have it.

Maybe on the iPad.

tann
Dec 23, 2012, 02:20 PM
Passcode locked folders or multi user (especially for iPad).

Just tired of giving people my phone to play games on but then I have folders and apps I don't want them to look in (like notes and texts). Sometimes they open notes (I'm sure just to look in) but I would rather they didn't.

I know you will say then don't let them but they are friends! Or friend lol.

Quick access to some settings would be nice. I also would love if we could have a notification light because I want to know when I get an email (for example) but turning the entire screen on for a few seconds kinda makes it a waste (especially if I am trying to conserve battery). Also I would appreciate the ability to close all background apps at once.

SnowLeopard OSX
Dec 23, 2012, 02:22 PM

Just tired of giving people my phone to play games on but then I have folders and apps I don't want them to look in (like notes and texts). Sometimes they open notes (I'm sure just to look in) but I would rather they didn't.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think there are applications in the App Store that allow you to do that - they lock folders and photos.

tann
Dec 23, 2012, 02:26 PM
I'm not entirely sure, but I think there are applications in the App Store that allow you to do that - they lock folders and photos.

I think they can do photos somehow!

Also just thought of another thing, but not necessarily from Android. But the find my iphone toggle should NOT be able to be switched off without a passcode! Someone steals phone, they might know what they're doing, many people have require passcode after x minutes... simply open up settings and turn it off leaving you hopeless when it comes to recovering it!

richardw
Dec 23, 2012, 05:25 PM

1) Widgets - Because Android users have them they've got it into their head that they're the be all and end all and that iOS users are missing something without them. I have never ever wished to have widgets wasting space on my phone. Also, phone OS developers in general (Apple included) have got it into their heads that knowing the weather is right up at the top of a phone users things to do. If I had to have 1 widget, one that shows me the weather sure as hell would not be it.

2) Having live tiles/icons would be horrendous. I do not want what I am looking for to change it's appearance randomly at will. The numeric notification indicator on iOS is change enough. It's hard to beat a 'bland icon' in the world of usability.

irDigital0l
Dec 23, 2012, 10:25 PM
1) Widgets - Because Android users have them they've got it into their head that they're the be all and end all and that iOS users are missing something without them. I have never ever wished to have widgets wasting space on my phone. Also, phone OS developers in general (Apple included) have got it into their heads that knowing the weather is right up at the top of a phone users things to do. If I had to have 1 widget, one that shows me the weather sure as hell would not be it.

2) Having live tiles/icons would be horrendous. I do not want what I am looking for to change it's appearance randomly at will. The numeric notification indicator on iOS is change enough. It's hard to beat a 'bland icon' in the world of usability.

I'm assuming you never even used an Android or Windows smartphone before...

You rather have the weather icon remain 73 degrees rather than it telling the accurate weather?

LOL what the hell...

Abazigal
Dec 23, 2012, 10:45 PM

I think what Apple can do is allow us to send a quick imessage or even email via the notifications bar, the same way you pull down to send a quick tweet or update your facebook. I don't really need a full-screen app to iMessage, and don't really like having to switch to it anyways.

sandwicher
Dec 23, 2012, 10:54 PM

Err no thank you! I used my friends GS3 and very often I would accidentally hit the virtual 'back' button. Irritating to the max!

----------

There might be! I'm not fully sure, but I know most of the time I use apps like Dropbox or Spotify, if I quit the app after a few minutes it stops whatever it's doing! - I appreciate this saves battery, but sometimes if you're uploading 100 photos you wanna be able to do something else whilst its uploading, right?

Apple allows this to continue even with its current multitasking. Yup, Dropbox continues uploading contents, at least my app does. :)

----------

Quick access to some settings would be nice. I also would love if we could have a notification light because I want to know when I get an email (for example) but turning the entire screen on for a few seconds kinda makes it a waste (especially if I am trying to conserve battery). Also I would appreciate the ability to close all background apps at once.

I would love this! OMG. And yes, selective pass code lock on ANY app.

irDigital0l
Dec 23, 2012, 11:11 PM
Err no thank you! I used my friends GS3 and very often I would accidentally hit the virtual 'back' button. Irritating to the max.

Apple already has patents for a haptic virtual home button meant to replace the physical one.

tomjleeds
Dec 24, 2012, 05:18 AM
I'm assuming you never even used an Android or Windows smartphone before...

You rather have the weather icon remain 73 degrees rather than it telling the accurate weather?

LOL what the hell...

Is it going to change colour too?

If so, usability fail.

MrGimper
Dec 24, 2012, 05:33 AM
Make the device true multi-user with different profiles for different users. For the "one iPad" households, this I think is a major omission.

SBSettings or similar baked in.

Password protected Apps/Folders.

A true central file storage/management app. Doesn't need to provide access to the filesystem per se, but a central location to store data that you can then "open in" other apps.... perhaps set default apps for different types of data. Add proper internet downloading to this feature too.

----------

This. I think someone in another thread suggested that the little square in the home button could become the notification LED, which would be uber cool.

irDigital0l
Dec 24, 2012, 01:41 PM
Is it going to change colour too?

If so, usability fail.

Actually Apple could totally have iPhone 5S with colors just like the iPod touch.

When it comes to usability...there's a ton of stuff that iOS has to have to become more usable.

blackhand1001
Dec 24, 2012, 01:52 PM

Umm a lot of this stuff originated in android. In fact almost everything listed here has been in android from the beginning which predates the jailbreak community.

Apple already has patents for a haptic virtual home button meant to replace the physical one.

This is the dumbest patent since the galaxy nexus has a virtual home button and it has haptic feedback on it.

Cod3rror
Dec 24, 2012, 03:31 PM
I want defaults. I'd like to set Google Maps as a default maps app and Chrome as a default browser.

Also, it's time to make iOS modular...

1. I don't want Newsstand, Stocks, Weather, etc... I want iOS to come barebones or at least I want those apps to be erasable.

2. And since apps are modular Apple will release updates separately, independent of iOS.

charlieegan3
Dec 24, 2012, 03:49 PM
Should the question not be: what would you like to see in the way of google apple lawsuits?

widgets
widgets
widgets

irDigital0l
Dec 24, 2012, 07:30 PM
Should the question not be: what would you like to see in the way of google apple lawsuits?

widgets
widgets
widgets

Apple doesn't have to copy what Android has.

Find another way to implement them.

JS82712
Dec 24, 2012, 07:36 PM

-Notification Center
-Wireless syncing
-iCloud syncing
-OTA updates
-Tabbed browsing
-Split keyboard

-Gesture typing

people need to stop talking about widgets like they were invented by google.

QuarterSwede
Dec 24, 2012, 07:42 PM
So true. I think people would be shocked to find out who first came out with them.

irDigital0l
Dec 24, 2012, 07:44 PM

People need to stop talking about how Apple invented the smartphone or tablet.

Google made widgets to what they are today. Today, there'es a ton of way to have an icon that shows more than just a pic (ex. Microsoft's live tiles) which are alternatives ways.

Android was able to update, implemented, improve, etc. widgets and apply them onto a mobile os that works really well.

Your acting like Apple never looked at what Android had and took some ideas from it.

JS82712
Dec 24, 2012, 09:33 PM

Google made widgets to what they are today. Today, there'es a ton of way to have an icon that shows more than just a pic (ex. Microsoft's live tiles) which are alternatives ways.

Android was able to update, implemented, improve, etc. widgets and apply them onto a mobile os that works really well.

Your acting like Apple never looked at what Android had and took some ideas from it.

woah, someone got all defensive there. :rolleyes:
I, for one, never said apple invented the smartphone/tablet. but I guess stating a fact hurts your little fandroid feeling inside?

NT1440
Dec 24, 2012, 09:38 PM
Umm a lot of this stuff originated in android. In fact almost everything listed here has been in android from the beginning which predates the jailbreak .

The first android device was sold in late 2008, the jail breaking community was already thriving by then. Also, check out Google's first demo of Android (basically a Blackberry), uploaded in NOVEMBER 2007. Skip the blackberry part and take a look at the touchscreen later in the video. Very few of those features you mention were there. So please, at least research before posting untruths.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_avwGFsv60U

Keep in mind the iPhone was released in JUNE 2007.

irDigital0l
Dec 24, 2012, 09:52 PM
woah, someone got all defensive there. :rolleyes:
I, for one, never said apple invented the smartphone/tablet. but I guess stating a fact hurts your little fandroid feeling inside?

I don't see how I got defensive...

I guess it was your interpretation of aggressiveness (probably from yourself).

Anyways..

Since I don't actually own an Android device I guess my Apple feelings are hurting inside...or?

/confused

A Hebrew
Dec 24, 2012, 10:21 PM
Never used Android, but that tap to share thingy they show is pretty cool. Especially if it is as seamless as in their advertisements.

Though not entirely OS related, I also love the small vibration typing or hitting certain buttons make. The feedback is nice on a phone.

zbarvian
Dec 24, 2012, 10:40 PM

That's just not true. Google didn't do anything to widgets, really. They're the same as they've always been, and they sure as hell aren't new. OS X has had widgets for many years.

irDigital0l
Dec 24, 2012, 10:43 PM
That's just not true. Google didn't do anything to widgets, really. They're the same as they've always been, and they sure as hell aren't new. OS X has had widgets for many years.

I never said Google invented widgets.

I'm saying that made them popular and great for smartphones.

Yes, I'm aware OS X had widgets, but OS X is a desktop OS not a mobile OS.

JS82712
Dec 25, 2012, 12:00 AM
I never said Google invented widgets.

I'm saying that made them popular and great for smartphones.

Yes, I'm aware OS X had widgets, but OS X is a desktop OS not a mobile OS.

and who shaped the smartphone as we know it today? oh right, not samsung, not google, not RIM, but apple. yet you completely denied that in your previous posts, the irony is strong with you.

merry christmas sucker, go spend some time with your family instead of trolling on a forum.

irDigital0l
Dec 25, 2012, 12:22 AM
and who shaped the smartphone as we know it today? oh right, not samsung, not google, not RIM, but apple. yet you completely denied that in your previous posts, the irony is strong with you.

merry christmas sucker, go spend some time with your family instead of trolling on a forum.

Okkk dude. Not sure how this turned into a Apple vs Samsung, Google, RIM thread but pissed off Apple fanboy is always a nice present for the holidays.

:P

Also multiple users like what Jellybean 4.2 has would be great for an iPad. Although the chances of Apple doing that would probably be 0%. They want everyone to pay and have their own tablet.

blackhand1001
Dec 25, 2012, 12:24 AM
The first android device was sold in late 2008, the jail breaking community was already thriving by then. Also, check out Google's first demo of Android (basically a Blackberry), uploaded in NOVEMBER 2007. Skip the blackberry part and take a look at the touchscreen later in the video. Very few of those features you mention were there. So please, at least research before posting untruths.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_avwGFsv60U

Keep in mind the iPhone was released in JUNE 2007.

That was one of two prototypes they demod that day. They also demoed a slate device that sported an interface very similar to what was released in 2008.

----------

Google desktop had widgets before OS X did anyways so that point is moot.

JS82712
Dec 25, 2012, 12:34 AM
Okkk dude. Not sure how this turned into a Apple vs Samsung, Google, RIM thread but pissed off Apple fanboy is always a nice present for the holidays.

:P

Also multiple users like what Jellybean 4.2 has would be great for an iPad. Although the chances of Apple doing that would probably be 0%. They want everyone to pay and have their own tablet.

haha dodging your mistakes dont make them disappear. To say that apple didnt revolutionize the smartphone and tablet market just shows your ignorance. :rolleyes:

irDigital0l
Dec 25, 2012, 12:37 AM
haha dodging your mistakes dont make them disappear. To say that apple didnt revolutionize the smartphone and tablet market just shows your ignorance. :rolleyes:

Copy and paste where I said that Apple didn't revolutionize the smartphone and tablet market.

Exact words.

Ready. set. go.

I'm waiting.

JS82712
Dec 25, 2012, 12:40 AM
Copy and paste where I said that Apple didn't revolutionize the smartphone and tablet market.

Exact words.

Ready. set. go.

I'm waiting.

Copy and pasting something that you couldve changed two seconds ago is a waste of my time.

Have fun doing your mental gymnastics in hating apple while i enjoy some christmas movies on my apple tv. you won't be missed. :cool:

irDigital0l
Dec 25, 2012, 12:41 AM
Copy and pasting something that you couldve changed two seconds ago is a waste of my time.

Have fun doing your mental gymnastics in hating apple while i enjoy some christmas movies on my apple tv. you won't be missed. :cool:

LOL. cant find where I said it so you try to insult me. Then make an excuse saying that I probably edited my post. Yes, please go enjoy your Apple TV and stop wasting your time. :)

NT1440
Dec 25, 2012, 09:53 AM
That was one of two prototypes they demod that day. They also demoed a slate device that sported an interface very similar to what was released in 2008.

----------

Wanna know how I know that you didn't even watch the short video I posted?:rolleyes:

That slate device didn't have nearly the amount of features that were claimed to be in android "from the beginning". But you'd know that if you watched the entire video.

blackhand1001
Dec 25, 2012, 02:13 PM
Wanna know how I know that you didn't even watch the short video I posted?:rolleyes:

That slate device didn't have nearly the amount of features that were claimed to be in android "from the beginning". But you'd know that if you watched the entire video.

Ive seen the video many times. The majority of the OS was very similar upon release especially the status bar.

NT1440
Dec 25, 2012, 07:35 PM
Ive seen the video many times. The majority of the OS was very similar upon release especially the status bar.

Still well after the jailbreak scene was well under way.

tymaster50
Dec 25, 2012, 07:52 PM
we can ask for all these features but would we actually use them?? People seem pretty happy with iOS devices right now so Apple sees no need to implement them

irDigital0l
Dec 27, 2012, 03:26 PM
we can ask for all these features but would we actually use them?? People seem pretty happy with iOS devices right now so Apple sees no need to implement them

Well you can look at it from that way.

But remember all the times when people have said that Apple doesn't need to add that but when it does, everyone is like wow I can't live without it.

People certainly are happy and there are a ton (the majority that doesn't care) but Apple should find the balance between not overwhelming new comers while giving more tech-savvy people more options.

Not asking for full Android widgets, but more widgets in Notification Center would be good, multi-touch gestures for Multitasking would make things easier, live icons for weather is simple and informative, etc.

Android has some great features and options that work well and its surprising that it wasn't Apple would implemented them first.

szman86
Dec 27, 2012, 03:50 PM
Just 2 things for me:

Why are you killing apps? For the most part, after 5 seconds apps are no longer running in the background anyways by the OS. Apple had memory issues that lead to this misconception, but they have since been resolved. It's a waste of your time to be killing them.

http://speirs.org/blog/2012/1/2/misconceptions-about-ios-multitasking.html

irDigital0l
Dec 27, 2012, 04:27 PM
Why are you killing apps? For the most part, after 5 seconds apps are no longer running in the background anyways by the OS. Apple had memory issues that lead to this misconception, but they have since been resolved. It's a waste of your time to be killing them.

http://speirs.org/blog/2012/1/2/misconceptions-about-ios-multitasking.html

It makes games that are graphics heavy run smoother. Also I have to clear out my iPad 1 multitasking try or eventually it just crashes.

Parise
Dec 28, 2012, 09:25 AM
Might not really be android based... but I think Apple needs to start allowing cloud storage for things other than managed backups and application data. Something a long the lines of Google Drive.

irDigital0l
Dec 31, 2012, 07:45 PM
Might not really be android based... but I think Apple needs to start allowing cloud storage for things other than managed backups and application data. Something a long the lines of Google Drive.

I'm hoping they'll eventually introduce something like Google Docs.

Being to work on files with others at the same time with iWork apps would be awesome.

iPhone, iPad, or Mac versions should all be updated to support this.

salas2324
Jan 1, 2013, 02:56 PM
I stopped reading at the end of post 40. All I can really say is, when we talk android we should talk pure vanilla android. When you bring in game centers and siri wannabes, all that. Its not pure android we are talking about. Those are "features" (I call bloatware) from companies who customize the phone such as Samsung Motorola and Huawei. That's why apple sues other companies more than they sue Google.

ct1211
Jan 1, 2013, 04:38 PM
Are you that far out of touch? Android Jelly Bean is now light years ahead of IOS 6 and it is making me angry that I've invested so much money on the Apple eco-system! Apple should turn IOS development over to the jailbreak DEV TEAMS! - At least get me a keyboard where I can accurately move the cursor to a point on the screen where I need it, instead of stabbing away for five minutes like an idiot trying to land at the end of a word to insert an "S" for crying out loud!

----------

Google talk works darn near perfect in noisy bars no less on both my Motorola MAXX HD and my wife's Nexus 7 - Think Google Maps to Apple Maps - My iPad 4 Siri is not only inaccurate they also seem to have taken away her snotty sense of humor which almost made up for its lack of working!

I stopped reading at the end of post 40. All I can really say is, when we talk android we should talk pure vanilla android. When you bring in game centers and siri wannabes, all that. Its not pure android we are talking about. Those are "features" (I call bloatware) from companies who customize the phone such as Samsung Motorola and Huawei. That's why apple sues other companies more than they sue Google.

irDigital0l
Jan 1, 2013, 04:46 PM

Think if Apple wanted to sue Google, it would have already sued them but it can't.

It's going for Samsung, HTC, etc, the hardware manufacturers who actually make money off of Android.

Greg.
Jan 1, 2013, 04:50 PM
I don't know how Apple users put up with without having settings toggles. Having to spend minutes delving into the settings app to change simple things like bluetooth on/off is such a hassle compared to just swiping down on Android.

Apple should allow custom keyboard apps too. I can't see why keyboard apps are banned but camera apps aren't. Swype is awesome.

Zcott
Jan 1, 2013, 07:27 PM
I don't know how Apple users put up with without having settings toggles. Having to spend minutes delving into the settings app to change simple things like bluetooth on/off is such a hassle compared to just swiping down on Android.

Because you don't have to toggle them. Apple want you to leave on wifi, Bluetooth and 3G. I do, to no detrimental effect on the battery.

SanjeevRana
Jan 1, 2013, 07:43 PM
To the answer in the title - NONE !

Apple needs to be original and innovate ... thats their niche.

zbarvian
Jan 1, 2013, 08:54 PM
To the answer in the title - NONE !

Apple needs to be original and innovate ... thats their niche.

This. They shouldn't copy other outdated features like widgets, they should do something fresh and better.

sk24iam
Jan 2, 2013, 02:16 PM
I think widgets seems to be the big one. Maybe Apple should make an app icon on the home screen that opens a page only for widgets to be added to. So there would be an icon labeled "widgets" and when opened, the user can add and remove widgets.

This allows Apple to avoid cluttering the home screens with widgets which seems to be what they are trying to stay away from.

stevelam
Jan 2, 2013, 03:36 PM
Are you that far out of touch? Android Jelly Bean is now light years ahead of IOS 6 and it is making me angry that I've invested so much money on the Apple eco-system! Apple should turn IOS development over to the jailbreak DEV TEAMS! - At least get me a keyboard where I can accurately move the cursor to a point on the screen where I need it, instead of stabbing away for five minutes like an idiot trying to land at the end of a word to insert an "S" for crying out loud!

[COLOR="#808080"]

you do realize instead of 'stabbing away for five minutes' you can just tap and HOLD to drag to where you want to edit right?