PDA

View Full Version : Bought my parents a Mac mini~!

Sporty G
Sep 21, 2005, 12:18 AM
Well, today I ordered my parents a 1.42GHz Mac mini w/Bluetooth and AE as a gift for letting me take over their house since I graded from University this summer (I know, I know..., move back out already!).

Anywho, they've admired my G5 and my Samsung LCD display (172T w/ DVI) since I migrated to the world of OS X last year so I thought now would be a decent time to move them over as well.... it'll also be well worth it since I will no longer have to clean the glut of spyware, adware, malware and viruses off of their Windows-based machine every 3 months (AKA: reformat). I'm going to give them my Samsung LCD as well and buy a 23" Cinema display this winter to replace it.

Now, either I'm a really grateful son just giving back to his parents or somebody who has constructed an elaborate scenerio to help justify his own purchase of a 23" Apple Cinema display.

My only fear was that, even for their meager needs, a Mac mini wouldn't cut it but the reviews I'v read have suggested that this machine will be more than ample. They do use a few archaic Windows-only applications so I'm gonna have to dig up my unused VirtualPC 6 disc and install that for them but otherwise this should go seamlessly.

Anywho, just felt it necessary to tell everybody for some reason.

paperinacup
Sep 21, 2005, 12:24 AM
Hmmm I wanna have kids so they will do this. :p

bursty
Sep 21, 2005, 12:54 AM
I actually just did the same thing. My younger brother was CONSTANTLY crashing our standard Dell and I was always the one who had to fix it. Finally, I said screw it and bought a MacMini for my brother and dad to use. So far they love it and no crashes.

wdlove
Sep 21, 2005, 11:21 AM
A very nice gesture on your part Sporty G. ;) I think that your parents will be very appreciative and happy. Yes, you deserve the 23" LCD.

moot
Sep 21, 2005, 11:27 AM
Now, that is what I call a caring child.

I have offered to do the same for my parents but get this, they actually turned me down. Have to do more persuading :confused:

lexfuzo
Sep 21, 2005, 11:41 AM
My only fear was that, even for their meager needs, a Mac mini wouldn't cut it but the reviews I'v read have suggested that this machine will be more than ample.

I don't consider my needs meager and the mini suits them very well. It had to have 1GB of RAM, though.

Sporty G
Sep 26, 2005, 10:37 PM
The machine arrived last Friday and I'm just starting to set it up now... as I said in another thread, it's the new 1.5Ghz model with 64mb of video memory! YAY! I also posted a screenshot in the other thread if anybody is interested.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=1767195#post1767195

This machine is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH faster than I had anticipated it being. As always, I'm thrilled. Thank you Apple!!!!!

clayj
Sep 26, 2005, 10:48 PM
The machine arrived last Friday and I'm just starting to set it up now... as I said in another thread, it's the new 1.5Ghz model with 64mb of video memory! YAY! I also posted a screenshot in the other thread if anybody is interested.

This machine is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH faster than I had anticipated it being. As always, I'm thrilled. Thank you Apple!!!!!There's no 1.5 GHz, 64 MB VRAM Mac mini listed on Apple's site that I can see... :confused:

p0intblank
Sep 26, 2005, 10:54 PM
Wow, very nice of you! And nice screenshot, I just took a quick look at it. It's awesome to think the Mac mini came this far so quickly. Its CPU speed is the same as my PowerBook now. :eek: I will get a Mac mini one of these days, you know just to have one. But for now I am have my eyes on a Power Mac G5. :D

Anyway, congrats on the new addition to the household!

MacTruck
Sep 27, 2005, 01:29 AM
Got my 2yr old son a mini and he already can use it without assistance. Surfs all the kid sites no problem, via favorites tab. Also got one for my living room and an eyetv and its great. Same price as a DVR and it does so much more.

mfacey
Sep 27, 2005, 01:49 AM
There's no 1.5 GHz, 64 MB VRAM Mac mini listed on Apple's site that I can see... :confused:

That's strange... Can't imagine Apple is already shipping 1.5 ghz minis and hasn't even announced them. Show us a picture of the mini!

MacTruck
Sep 27, 2005, 01:57 AM

This machine is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH faster than I had anticipated it being. As always, I'm thrilled. Thank you Apple!!!!!

Who cares about this mini update. It STILL doesn't support core image. Has the same radeon 9200. What good is the 64mg memory then?

chucknorris
Sep 27, 2005, 02:22 AM
Who cares about this mini update. It STILL doesn't support core image. Has the same radeon 9200. What good is the 64mg memory then?

Yeah, what gives?