Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prvt.donut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
Hi,

I'm back, went on vacation and hadn't had time to flash the GPU yet:mad:, but will hopefully attempt this weekend.

Anyway, the point of this thread is to ask about multiple GPU's in the powermac.

I read that you can put 4 6600's in the G5 (from the Apple site) to run 8 monitors (pretty cool). but that lead me think what about putting two x1900s in it? (one drawing power from the MB and the other getting power from the IDE via a splitter).

Has anyone done this?

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
Can't help you directly, but my June 2004 PMG5 can run two monitors at 2048x1152 with an ATI Fire GL X3 [flashed to be a Mac Radeon X800 XT] with perfect smoothness

thorns

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2011
I haven't tried it yet (Just didn't think of it). I see no immediate advantage (since Crossfire wouldn't work and 3D content like games are rendered on the primary display only), so I'd say it would be overkill. I had a 7800GT and the 6600LE alongside at one time. No problems, could easily drive three displays (and why shouldn't it be able to?).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.