PDA

View Full Version : Lower prices on the UK Refurb store compared with yesterday

alexeismertin
Sep 21, 2005, 03:18 AM
Yep the UK refurb store is showing an additional 100 discount compared with yesterday, so:

Yesterday Powerbook 1.5Ghz 15" 512Ram - 1103 (20% discount)
Today Powerbook 1.5Ghz 15" 512Ram - 1003 (20% discount)

Shipping remains 8 days - so if something does occur in the following weeks you've got time to cancel order/return etc (no restocking fee in the UK).

AlBDamned
Sep 21, 2005, 03:27 AM
Yep the UK refurb store is showing an additional 100 discount compared with yesterday, so:

Yesterday Powerbook 1.5Ghz 15" 512Ram - 1103 (20% discount)
Today Powerbook 1.5Ghz 15" 512Ram - 1003 (20% discount)

Shipping remains 8 days - so if something does occur in the following weeks you've got time to cancel order/return etc (no restocking fee in the UK).

Something's not right with your maths mate. Powerbooks still shown at the refurb store at 1379 - 20% = 1103.20.

That's what they've been selling them at since they started. :)

nomad01
Sep 21, 2005, 03:34 AM
Something's not right with your maths mate. Powerbooks still shown at the refurb store at 1379 - 20% = 1103.20.

That's what they've been selling them at since they started. :)

Nope, the percentages are still showing as 20 but if you work it out, there's more than 20% off.

It's showing as 1003 for me.

Dual 2.0 PowerMac showing up as 979! Good god that's a good saving.

AlBDamned
Sep 21, 2005, 03:40 AM
Nope, the percentages are still showing as 20 but if you work it out, there's more than 20% off.

It's showing as 1003 for me.

Ah right, I see. Once you add it to the basket it calculates it at 1003 but on the front page, it's still showing it as -20%, when actually, it shoud be -27.25%.

That's a very good deal all-round. :)

nomad01
Sep 21, 2005, 03:47 AM
Ah right, I see. Once you add it to the basket it calculates it at 1003 but on the front page, it's still showing it as -20%, when actually, it shoud be -27.25%.

That's a very good deal all-round. :)

But do I get a Dual 2.3 or do I get the dual 2.0 and then upgrade the ram to 2GB and get an additional 250GB SATA hard drive for the same price as a 2.3. :-s

AlBDamned
Sep 21, 2005, 03:50 AM
But do I get a Dual 2.3 or do I get the dual 2.0 and then upgrade the ram to 2GB and get an additional 250GB SATA hard drive for the same price as a 2.3. :-s

Tough call and depends what you're using it for. How much RAM would you be able to afford on the 2.3? If you can go with a GB on the 2.3 I may go with that. Faster the better! really depends what you need it for though. A DP2.0 will do most things very well. With 2.0GB of RAM and a big HD, you'll have a very solid desktop.

nomad01
Sep 21, 2005, 03:55 AM
Tough call and depends what you're using it for. How much RAM would you be able to afford on the 2.3? If you can go with a GB on the 2.3 I may go with that. Faster the better! really depends what you need it for though. A DP2.0 will do most things very well. With 2.0GB of RAM and a big HD, you'll have a very solid desktop.

I think I'm going to hold out a bit longer. Erm. Probably.

If they refresh the current line up, there's a slight chance that they'd put in more ram or a bigger HD anyway.

If I go for the 2.3, it has more memory slots so I'd have room to upgrade RAM a bit more gradually. Hmmm... decisions, decisions.

I wonder what'll happen to the people that purchased stuff yesterday that hasn't shipped yet. Will Apple charge the lower price? Be interesting to hear.

AlBDamned
Sep 21, 2005, 04:07 AM
I think I'm going to hold out a bit longer. Erm. Probably.

If they refresh the current line up, there's a slight chance that they'd put in more ram or a bigger HD anyway.

If I go for the 2.3, it has more memory slots so I'd have room to upgrade RAM a bit more gradually. Hmmm... decisions, decisions.

I wonder what'll happen to the people that purchased stuff yesterday that hasn't shipped yet. Will Apple charge the lower price? Be interesting to hear.

You could up-sell yourself forever though. If you're buying a refurb model, I would buy one now. Those are the best discounts you'll see in a while.

bollard
Sep 21, 2005, 04:32 AM
I ordered a refurb 15" SD Powerbook on Saturday arrived yesterday and now see it's 115 cheaper today. Very happy with my Powerbook, my first new Mac in 6 years, but this has taken off a little of that shine.

AlBDamned
Sep 21, 2005, 04:38 AM
I ordered a refurb 15" SD Powerbook on Saturday arrived yesterday and now see it's 115 cheaper today. Very happy with my Powerbook, my first new Mac in 6 years, but this has taken off a little of that shine.

Isn't there a way to claim that back under their 14-day rule or something?

sreedy
Sep 21, 2005, 04:38 AM
Why when I hit "add to order" do I get return to the store hokme page and have nothing in my basket?

I'm logged in and have nothing in my basket....

Do I need a special referb account?
Does it mean there are none left?

I'm after the 68% discounted 10GB iPod.

nomad01
Sep 21, 2005, 04:44 AM
You could up-sell yourself forever though. If you're buying a refurb model, I would buy one now. Those are the best discounts you'll see in a while.

Yeah I know you're right. I have to wait a couple of days for funding though so I'll have to keep my fingers crossed they are around a little longer.

bollard
Sep 21, 2005, 04:48 AM
Isn't there a way to claim that back under their 14-day rule or something?

Just phoned Apple to see what they could do. Was advised that the best thing I could do was to return my Powerbook and then buy the cheaper refurb. Was then passed on to returns who said I have to pay 60 to return it. I work a few minutes away from the Apple Regent St store but was told I couldn't return it there. A real shame they can't just refund me the difference.

AlBDamned
Sep 21, 2005, 04:55 AM
Just phoned Apple to see what they could do. Was advised that the best thing I could do was to return my Powerbook and then buy the cheaper refurb. Was then passed on to returns who said I have to pay 60 to return it. I work a few minutes away from the Apple Regent St store but was told I couldn't return it there. A real shame they can't just refund me the difference.

That blows really. I think I would probs keep it to save any more hassle. Apple loves taking the shine off new Powerbooks. Word of warning, to save yourself sending it back in 3 months for a new logic board, when upgrading your ram, just buy a 1GB stick and put it in the top slot (the one deeper inside). Sell The included 512MB stick (Edit: to offset the price of the 1GB stick). Do not use the lower slot. I know plenty of people have PBs without this problem but if you can avoid it, avoid it.

nomad01
Sep 21, 2005, 05:03 AM
Just phoned Apple to see what they could do. Was advised that the best thing I could do was to return my Powerbook and then buy the cheaper refurb.

Hmmm. I wonder if this is why they haven't updated the discount percentage... hoping recent purchasers won't notice.

New buyers are still likely to click on the link for the price before making a decision anyway.

My fingers twitching on the BUY button at the minute.

bollard
Sep 21, 2005, 05:19 AM
Just spoken to a guy at Apple who has agreed to waive the return fee so I'm returning my old Powerbook which I've had for just over 24 hours and I've bought another Powerbook but 100.21 cheaper. G :) ood customer service Apple. To me this further price reduction must mean we have Powerbook updates around the corner but I'm well pleased to get a refurb PB for 1162 instead of 1579 new.

AlBDamned
Sep 21, 2005, 05:23 AM
Just spoken to a guy at Apple who has agreed to waive the return fee so I'm returning my old Powerbook which I've had for just over 24 hours and I've bought another Powerbook but 100.21 cheaper. G :) ood customer service Apple. To me this further price reduction must mean we have Powerbook updates around the corner but I'm well pleased to get a refurb PB for 1162 instead of 1579 new.

Sounds good. Post back when the whole transaction is complete. :)

dcv
Sep 21, 2005, 05:28 AM
At those prices i'm really tempted to buy another PowerBook.

Stop me, stop me now!

bollard
Sep 21, 2005, 05:39 AM
Blimey this day keeps getting better !!!! Just checked my Egg Blue credit card account to make sure I had enough credit limit to buy another Powerbook and saw that after the Debit for 1263.20 I got a Instant cashback credit of 126.32. I rang Egg who said that I get a 10% cashback deal when I buy things from Apple when I use my Egg Blue card. So if they do the same with the new refurb PB I just bought, it should come to 1046.69. So just a heads up for anyone with a Egg blue card or who wants a new credit card for us Apple lovers. Go for the Egg card !!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

AlBDamned
Sep 21, 2005, 05:45 AM
Blimey this day keeps getting better !!!! Just checked my Egg Blue credit card account to make sure I had enough credit limit to buy another Powerbook and saw that after the Debit for 1263.20 I got a Instant cashback credit of 126.32. I rang Egg who said that I get a 10% cashback deal when I buy things from Apple when I use my Egg Blue card. So if they do the same with the new refurb PB I just bought, it should come to 1046.69. So just a heads up for anyone with a Egg blue card or who wants a new credit card for us Apple lovers. Go for the Egg card !!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

That's a major saving! So you were actually 100+ better off anyway on the first Refurb? 1046 for an as-new 15" SD PB is a great deal. Congrats!

dcv
Sep 21, 2005, 05:45 AM

That is AMAZING!!!! I am definitely getting myself an Egg card now. Thanks for the tip :)

(of course this makes that 15" PB superdrive offer even more alluring)

nomad01
Sep 21, 2005, 05:56 AM
So just a heads up for anyone with a Egg blue card or who wants a new credit card for us Apple lovers. Go for the Egg card !!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

Excellent! :-D I'm an Egg customer so I just applied online and as I'm an existing customer, there's no forms to sign. They accepted me, gave me a scary credit limit and the card should be here within the week.

I have to wait for confirmation of funds before I buy the refurb anyway so I'm just hoping it comes quick.

With another 10% off, I may have to go for the 2.3 Powermac. :)

Whyapple
Sep 21, 2005, 05:57 AM
Ok silly Question for some, but what exactly is a refurb (ished?) Apple? Why is it considered a refurb - what has been done to it??

bollard
Sep 21, 2005, 06:12 AM
Excellent! :-D I'm an Egg customer so I just applied online and as I'm an existing customer, there's no forms to sign. They accepted me, gave me a scary credit limit and the card should be here within the week.

I have to wait for confirmation of funds before I buy the refurb anyway so I'm just hoping it comes quick.

With another 10% off, I may have to go for the 2.3 Powermac. :)

For that tip don't I deserve one of your mini iPods you won ???? ;) ;)

nomad01
Sep 21, 2005, 06:18 AM
For that tip don't I deserve one of your mini iPods you won ???? ;) ;)

La la la... Tum te tum...

Sorry? Somebody say something?? :-)

I'd consider it if they weren't already taken. One's off on it's travels via eBay and the other has been claimed by a friend!

dcv
Sep 21, 2005, 06:39 AM
They accepted me, gave me a scary credit limit and the card should be here within the week.

Me too!! Just finished signing up. I'm not an existing Egg customer though so it said up to 14 days for the card to arrive... oh well no refurbs for me then (though i don't NEED another powerbook anyway)

...of course it does mean that i could get 10% cashback on the Apple Cinema Display that Dixons failed to provide me with.... hmmm tempting....

(damn, if only i'd have known about this when buying all my other apple stuff)

callan
Sep 21, 2005, 06:50 AM
Had a quick scan over the Egg website where theres links for cashback deals 'online'. Anyone know whether this cash back thinggy applies only to internet orders? If not then Im getting one and heading off the Bullring Apple store with my girlfriend (for Educational discount), plus the cashback and if I get the card before 8th October I can do the iPod deal and sell it on eBay.

I reckon all in all I could buy an iBook 12" for under 500!

nomad01
Sep 21, 2005, 07:01 AM
Had a quick scan over the Egg website where theres links for cashback deals 'online'. Anyone know whether this cash back thinggy applies only to internet orders? If not then Im getting one and heading off the Bullring Apple store with my girlfriend (for Educational discount), plus the cashback and if I get the card before 8th October I can do the iPod deal and sell it on eBay.

Good idea. I did notice it said for Online and phone orders so maybe it's not an option in store.

Wish I'd have learned about it sooner too. Could have saved on the nano and the iSight I bought. Especially the iSight which is just an expensive ornament! :rolleyes:

nomad01
Sep 21, 2005, 07:06 AM
Good idea. I did notice it said for Online and phone orders so maybe it's not an option in store.

Looks like it's just online for most retailers.

Other than Selfridges where the cash back applies in store too. IF Micro Anvika in Selfridges are included, could you try getting it from them?

Not sure if it'd be valid at a concession within Selfridges.

bollard
Sep 21, 2005, 07:19 AM

Wish I'd have learned about it sooner too. Could have saved on the nano and the iSight I bought. Especially the iSight which is just an expensive ornament! :rolleyes:

"Wished I learned about it sooner"

Well I thought you couldn't hear me !!!!!!!!

Looks like you get 10% off iTunes too

nomad01
Sep 21, 2005, 08:03 AM
"Wished I learned about it sooner"

Well I thought you couldn't hear me !!!!!!!!

Looks like you get 10% off iTunes too

Speak up!! You need to post things like this in capital letters so I do hear! ;)

I'm glad I know now though. I'm sure I'll be buying more Apple stuff in the not-to-distant future and there are some other good savings too.

10% off iTunes? So that's 7.9 pence per song? :-) Better than a kick in you-know-whats.

Applespider
Sep 21, 2005, 08:09 AM
Hmm, I'd always thought the Egg cashback was 1% 'tho that was on the green one.

So you get 10% off which internet purchases with the Blue one?

nomad01
Sep 21, 2005, 08:16 AM

I couldn't find a link specifically for the blue card so I just applied for the only one I could find but it did list 10% cashback at Apple as a feature.

I too thought the cashback was only 1% like it used to be. It still is for most purchases.

Have a look at:

http://new.egg.com/visitor/0,,3_79763--View_1655,00.html

dcv
Sep 21, 2005, 08:17 AM
Just in case anyone missed the small print about the Egg cashback offers:

You will only be able to benefit from the instant cash back offers by placing your order via the links provided by Egg on Egg's website, or as accessible from the instant cash back offer e-mails we send you from time to time or for our Selfridges offer as detailed below. Transactions with our selected online retailers which are completed via alternative links and URLs will not be eligible for the special cash back offers.

drlunanerd
Sep 21, 2005, 08:18 AM

It's all a bit confusing but the original Egg green and the newer Egg blue cards have been replaced with a new Egg Money card. Cashback has just gone back up to 1% having been stuck at 0.5% for ages.

This 10% extra cashback (11% total) is very nice. If you can combine it with the Edu discount that's obviously the best deal you're ever likely to get on new Apple hardware. As Egg say it's valid on both online and phone orders, and someone got the cashback on the Refurb store too (without using the Egg web link) I'd say it's a free-for-all!

Shame there's no new hardware to buy though!! :(

drlunanerd
Sep 21, 2005, 08:20 AM
Just in case anyone missed the small print about the Egg cashback offers:

This doesn't appear to be the case for the Apple cashback, as you qualify if you order over the phone too. You get it if you order from the Refurb store (as evidenced by the previous poster) so it *looks* like you get it whether you order from the Egg link or not. Anyone want to give it a go?! ;)

AlBDamned
Sep 21, 2005, 08:22 AM

Only on certain lines including Apple, iTunes, Selfridges... and it varies from 5%-20% it appears.

dcv
Sep 21, 2005, 08:25 AM
This doesn't appear to be the case for the Apple cashback, as you qualify if you order over the phone too. You get it if you order from the Refurb store (as evidenced by the previous poster) so it *looks* like you get it whether you order from the Egg link or not. Anyone want to give it a go?! ;)

Hmmm actually i did wonder about that as i just clicked on the apple link from the egg site and didn't get the usual link on the right to go into the refurbs store.

Oh well ignore my previous post then! (That was a direct quote from the Egg Card terms & conditions page though)

Applespider
Sep 21, 2005, 08:29 AM
It's all a bit confusing but the original Egg green and the newer Egg blue cards have been replaced with a new Egg Money card. Cashback has just gone back up to 1% having been stuck at 0.5% for ages.

OK... so it works with either Egg card. So I could pull out my old green one and start using that and get it off too without having to apply for a new blue one?

nomad01
Sep 21, 2005, 08:30 AM
As Egg say it's valid on both online and phone orders, and someone got the cashback on the Refurb store too (without using the Egg web link) I'd say it's a free-for-all!

Ahhhh I didn't spot that.

Maybe if you order online, they just see an Apple purchase and it gets the discount. Online, the option is not available though.

Have to try my luck!

AlBDamned
Sep 21, 2005, 08:39 AM
OK... so it works with either Egg card. So I could pull out my old green one and start using that and get it off too without having to apply for a new blue one?

I think so.

Also, it will work if you access a site directly I believe, the only difference is with the Selfridges one, you can get 10% cashback in store as well as online and via phone. The others are just online and phone.

What's the betting they pull this once they see so many people are actually using it. :rolleyes: *Hangs head for being such a cynic*

dcv
Sep 21, 2005, 08:40 AM

Looking at the Egg site, it seems even the blue cards are being replaced with the new Egg Money ones (which look green). i guess yours would probably work but i'd be tempted to give them a quick call to check

also noticed that the regular 1% cashback on all purchases is capped at 200 per year (march to feb) and paid annually in march. the additional retailers' cashback (i.e. apple, currys etc) is paid straight away and unlimited.

alexeismertin
Sep 21, 2005, 09:02 AM
Well I ordered the powerbook, got confirmation & just recently received a shipping notice saying 1-2 days - so much for the 8 days!!

alexeismertin
Sep 21, 2005, 02:09 PM
... went for the Egg additional 10% but lost the 18 - oh well.

nice!!

drlunanerd
Sep 21, 2005, 03:11 PM
... went for the Egg additional 10% but lost the 18 - oh well.

nice!!

What 18? If you mean an Apple discount coupon, in my experience you can't use those on the Refurb store :confused:

In any case, surely you can't cancel the order if it's already shipped?
According to the Refurb store T&Cs, they charge you 40 shipping if you return something due to a change of mind, and not a fault.

It is a good price but be careful you're not setting yourself up for unintended expense.

alexeismertin
Sep 21, 2005, 04:59 PM
Well I phoned the Apple rep before anything and he said it had shipped but I said you quoted 8 days so its not my fault, he replied to wait until I receive it and call back & I won't be charged for sending it back. I made sure I knew where I stood with sending it back as I haven't actually received it yet.

The discount did work on the refurb store - except the same code didn't work second time round (even though it was received by me on another email). Very strange.

nomad01
Sep 22, 2005, 05:06 AM
Blimey this day keeps getting better !!!! Just checked my Egg Blue credit card account to make sure I had enough credit limit to buy another Powerbook and saw that after the Debit for 1263.20 I got a Instant cashback credit of 126.32.

Sorry if I'm losing the plot but how did you order your refurbs?

Just looked at the T and Cs and it says they can only be ordered online.

So you ordered online (not via the Egg link) but still got the discount?

MacSA
Sep 22, 2005, 05:10 AM
Apple must really regret offering educational discounts........ The number of people screwing apple with fraudulent educational discount claims is astonishing.

dcv
Sep 22, 2005, 05:15 AM
Apple must really regret offering educational discounts........ The number of people screwing apple with fraudulent educational discount claims is astonishing.

are you posting in the right thread? :confused:

jimN
Sep 22, 2005, 05:24 AM
Sorry if I'm losing the plot but how did you order your refurbs?

Just looked at the T and Cs and it says they can only be ordered online.

So you ordered online (not via the Egg link) but still got the discount?

I'd liked to hear this one clarified too. I'm likely going to get an egg card (to keep passing around my large credit crad debt) and since i may well be in the market for a new mac next year (and i'm always buying via iTunes) this seems like a handy little bonus. So the 64 million dollar question - did you just order normally or did you go via the egg site (and have you also received the cashback on the refurb?)

Cheers

alexeismertin
Sep 22, 2005, 08:02 AM
OK this is what i think i did (it was last night and it worked eventually)

Go to:

Egg Apple Promo (http://new.egg.com/visitor/0,,3_79763--View_1655,00.html)

The Apple store will say 'Welcome to Egg Card Holders' & will have a promo code in the web browser url (in this case it is qprm=88139 ) - look at the picture.

The next step is to merge the promo site & the refurb store, I did two things here but I don't know which (could be both) worked.

1. Log in & add the refurb equipment to the basket & then click edit basket - the url should be:

store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/xxxxxxxxxxxx

I inserted the qprm=88139 after ukstore.woa

2. or/and I added an item to my egg promo site & added an item in the refurb store, closed the browser & relaunched the apple store and it showed both items. I still added the qprm=88139 in the url before proceding to edit basket & checkout.

The order has been confirmed & shipped but haven't as yet been charged on my Egg card, but I assume it should be fine as the credit card will show just Apple Store. I did monkey around a bit so try variations, my idea was to have the promo (qprm=88139) in the browser url at checkout.

bollard
Sep 22, 2005, 08:23 AM
Ok hope this helps to clear things up

I ordered a refurb 15" SD Powerbook on Saturday morning DIRECT through the Apple refurb store. Received it on Tuesday morning. Saw this thread on wednesday morning and saw that the price was reduced by another 100. Rang Apple to try and get refunded the difference, the best they could do was to not charge me a return fee. So I arranged to return the Powerbook and purchased another refurb Powerbook DIRECT through the refurb part of the Apple site. I thought I better check how that left my balance on my credit card ( my girlfriend uses this acoount too !!!) and saw directly underneath the debit for 1263.20, a credit called "instant cashback" of 126.32. I rang Egg for an explanation and after a lot of digging it seems with the Egg card you get 10% off all online and phone Apple orders. Yesterday's Powerbook purchase has not hit my Egg account yet but I'll update you all when it does. I also bought an Airport Express and wireless mouse today hopefully taking advantage of the nice 10% discount

nomad01
Sep 22, 2005, 08:24 AM
The order has been confirmed & shipped but haven't as yet been charged on my Egg card, but I assume it should be fine as the credit card will show just Apple Store. I did monkey around a bit so try variations, my idea was to have the promo (qprm=88139) in the browser url at checkout.

Hmmm... I can sort of get this to work. Can you let us know how things look when they appear on your card?

Steve

Whyapple
Sep 22, 2005, 08:42 AM
Ok hope this helps to clear things up

I ordered a refurb 15" SD Powerbook on Saturday morning DIRECT through the Apple refurb store. Received it on Tuesday morning. Saw this thread on wednesday morning and saw that the price was reduced by another 100. Rang Apple to try and get refunded the difference, the best they could do was to not charge me a return fee. So I arranged to return the Powerbook and purchased another refurb Powerbook DIRECT through the refurb part of the Apple site. I thought I better check how that left my balance on my credit card ( my girlfriend uses this acoount too !!!) and saw directly underneath the debit for 1263.20, a credit called "instant cashback" of 126.32. I rang Egg for an explanation and after a lot of digging it seems with the Egg card you get 10% off all online and phone Apple orders. Yesterday's Powerbook purchase has not hit my Egg account yet but I'll update you all when it does. I also bought an Airport Express and wireless mouse today hopefully taking advantage of the nice 10% discount

So Bollard, can you tell us about your new PB..as a refurb is there anything wrong with it cosmetically?? Interested to know just what makes these machines have such a large discount when bought this way - apart frpom the fact they are 'technically' 2nd hand of course?
I have a strong suspicion these are new machines just being offered at a nice discount for stock reduction purposes, do you think that is true?

bollard
Sep 22, 2005, 09:10 AM
So Bollard, can you tell us about your new PB..as a refurb is there anything wrong with it cosmetically?? Interested to know just what makes these machines have such a large discount when bought this way - apart frpom the fact they are 'technically' 2nd hand of course?
I have a strong suspicion these are new machines just being offered at a nice discount for stock reduction purposes, do you think that is true?

The refurb Powerbook I got on tuesday didn't have a scratch or blemish on it at all.It came in a plain brown box marked Refurb and not a proper new Powerbook box. I hope I'm as lucky with the next one. As quoted on the refurb page you get "the same guarantee and support as all new Apple products" so even if there is a mark on the next one I won't care. A brand new PB for 1579 or the same model as a refurb for 1046.69 it's a no brainer IMO. The fact that these "refurbs" have been available for so long smells fishy to me but even if there is an update soon I'll be very happy with what I've got.

nomad01
Sep 22, 2005, 09:13 AM
The refurb Powerbook I got on tuesday didn't have a scratch or blemish on it at all.It came in a plain brown box marked Refurb and not a proper new Powerbook box. I hope I'm as lucky with the next one. As quoted on the refurb page you get "the same guarantee and support as all new Apple products" so even if there is a mark on the next one I won't care. A brand new PB for 1579 or the same model as a refurb for 1046.69 it's a no brainer IMO. The fact that these "refurbs" have been available for so long smells fishy to me but even if there is an update soon I'll be very happy with what I've got.

Probably a daft question but are all the accessories boxed/sealed like a new PB too?

bollard
Sep 22, 2005, 09:25 AM
Probably a daft question but are all the accessories boxed/sealed like a new PB too?

I don't know how they're boxed/sealed for a new PB but these came in a small plastic bag each and the power box had aprotective film on it. Hope this helps ?????

nomad01
Sep 22, 2005, 09:38 AM
I don't know how they're boxed/sealed for a new PB but these came in a small plastic bag each and the power box had aprotective film on it. Hope this helps ?????

Ermmm. Well it would help if I could remember how mine was packaged.

As long as it's all clean and seems new, I guess that's good enough for me. :-)

solvs
Sep 22, 2005, 12:06 PM
Just to point out, some of the prices in the refurb store here in the US have gone down as well. Probably been mentioned before, but I thought it was cool. If you don't qualify for any other discounts, refurb are the way to go.

Reckless
Sep 22, 2005, 01:29 PM
I don't like to say this as it only adds to speculation but I find it interesting that the refurb store is open daily till 3 October which is a Monday......I wonder what could be happening on the Tuesday ;)

nomad01
Sep 22, 2005, 04:04 PM
I don't like to say this as it only adds to speculation but I find it interesting that the refurb store is open daily till 3 October which is a Monday......I wonder what could be happening on the Tuesday ;)

LOL Yeah I'd considered the same thing.

I can't help but think we'll see a few updates over the next week or two. Fingers crossed.

al3000
Sep 22, 2005, 04:11 PM
Went onto the refurb store for the first time today, didn't realise it was there..how long have they had it? I find it weird that it has opening times, why is this? Also, anyone know why it's only until 3rd October? :confused:

nomad01
Sep 22, 2005, 04:19 PM
Went onto the refurb store for the first time today, didn't realise it was there..how long have they had it? I find it weird that it has opening times, why is this? Also, anyone know why it's only until 3rd October? :confused:

Not sure how long the UK one has been going... some time though I think.

It's usually open every Wednesday only and usually has little to offer. It's currently open every day though for some reason and they also have a large inventory to clear all of a sudden. <shrugs>

alexeismertin
Sep 22, 2005, 05:07 PM
OK

I received the non Egg card Powerbook today - by the way it is 24 hour courier shipping and not 8 days - Apple can't get them out fast enough!
I have a free return back to apple as I have ordered via the Egg card.

I sneaked a peak though by lifting the box flap & pulled out the Powerbook:

1. It is gorgeous - mint condition - not even a fingerprint on it!!
2. Sealed CD's, Paperwork & cables except the power adaptor had a scratch (minor) and the long grey cord which attaches to the power adaptor & has a 3 pin plug was loose inside.
3. Brown box with foam padding (all of my other Apple hardware had Polystyrene inserts)
4. Smells good - like new!

I hope my Egg card PB (arriving tomorrow) is in the same condition.

Will report on the Egg card discount as soon as it appears.

nomad01
Sep 23, 2005, 02:37 AM
3. Brown box with foam padding (all of my other Apple hardware had Polystyrene inserts)

3) So the PB is just sandwiched between foam in the box?

4) Well that's a relief... can't beat that new smell. :-)

alexeismertin
Sep 23, 2005, 03:17 AM
Pretty much sandwiched

Think of the type of foam that looks like the bottom of egg boxes - peaks & troughs. Two layers of this with an additional 2cm flat layer in the middle with the shape of the powerbook cut out. All the wires etc were jammed down the edges, CD & Manual pack was lying on the top. The Powerbook was in an envelope of thin foam backed plastic also.

This is the pack I am returning & everything looked new except the power adaptor & long cable which were loose & marked (very minor) - looks like someone tried it once - I would have thought Apple would package the adaptor & cable as well but I suppose if they don't bother you can see instantly the items that may have been used.

Hopefully my other one will arrive today so I can give an description to compare overall quality. Shame about the box - it is smaller than a regular PB box.

nomad01
Sep 23, 2005, 05:02 AM
Hopefully my other one will arrive today so I can give an description to compare overall quality. Shame about the box - it is smaller than a regular PB box.

Just had a look at my old PB box to refresh my memory.

Polystyrene "case" for the powerbook which was inside the foam envelope you mentioned and then there's a little section cut on the top of the polystyrene housing for the manuals and CDs etc.

Anyway, as long as they're in goo dnick and they work, I really can't justify paying loads more for the box... even if it is nice. :-)

Whyapple
Sep 23, 2005, 05:38 AM
OK

I received the non Egg card Powerbook today - by the way it is 24 hour courier shipping and not 8 days - Apple can't get them out fast enough!
I have a free return back to apple as I have ordered via the Egg card.

I sneaked a peak though by lifting the box flap & pulled out the Powerbook:

1. It is gorgeous - mint condition - not even a fingerprint on it!!
2. Sealed CD's, Paperwork & cables except the power adaptor had a scratch (minor) and the long grey cord which attaches to the power adaptor & has a 3 pin plug was loose inside.

I hope my Egg card PB (arriving tomorrow) is in the same condition.

Will report on the Egg card discount as soon as it appears.

Why Alexei, you mean if the Egg one comes and is blemished you won't be switching the 2 PB's around before returning the 'non - egg one'?? ;)

alexeismertin
Sep 23, 2005, 08:57 AM
Why Alexei, you mean if the Egg one comes and is blemished you won't be switching the 2 PB's around before returning the 'non - egg one'?? ;)

It never occurred to me to swap them but thinking about it, I didn't think I could anyway because of serial number differences. The TNT courier is picking up the non Egg today & my Egg PB is also being delivered today - probably by a diffrent TNT courier.

The reason i'm in this situation is that i never knew about the Egg card discount until it was mentioned on this thread. The delivery time for PB's on the refurb store is 8 days so I thought it would be no bother to cancel that order & reorder using the Egg card. Imagine my surpise when it arrived the next day - the box says TNT 24 hour service.

Apple were fine about it when I explained & i'm not being charged for the return.

Anyway you've put ideas into my head but this can only work if:
A. There is something worth swapping.
B. The delivery happens before the pickup.

If the quality is like the retuned PB I will be over the moon!!

Whyapple
Sep 23, 2005, 09:20 AM
Anyway you've put ideas into my head but this can only work if:
A. There is something worth swapping.
B. The delivery happens before the pickup.

If the quality is like the retuned PB I will be over the moon!!

Lets hope the 2nd PB is of the same quality - I'm expecting you to report it is?
To hell with it, if it isn't keep the 1st...you can always say they must have got mixed up when examining/repackaging etc should they ask? ;)

Let us know immediately the condition when it arrives, I too have ordered my Egg card this morning and need to beat the 3rd Oct deadline - it's gonna be close as Egg say 7 -10 days for the card to arrive, but I should make it. :eek:

alexeismertin
Sep 23, 2005, 11:15 AM
Lets hope the 2nd PB is of the same quality - I'm expecting you to report it is?
To hell with it, if it isn't keep the 1st...you can always say they must have got mixed up when examining/repackaging etc should they ask? ;)

Let us know immediately the condition when it arrives, I too have ordered my Egg card this morning and need to beat the 3rd Oct deadline - it's gonna be close as Egg say 7 -10 days for the card to arrive, but I should make it. :eek:

It is here!!!

it is in absolutely MINT condition down to the smell, even the power adaptor had protective film around it - not a single cable looks like it was opened - ever!

i installed coconut battery & it showed the battery to be 100% capacity (ie new) 26% charge and 2 months old (probably since production).

THE BEST BIT

It had 2 x 512mb of ram instead of one!!!

PS The other PB was picked up by the same courier & i can't log into my Egg account just yet but will report later today/tomorrow.

Whyapple
Sep 23, 2005, 12:54 PM
I am green with envy Alexei!!

Double Ram thats an unbelievable bonus on top of what you already have achieved :)

Sounds a steal!

nomad01
Sep 23, 2005, 01:17 PM
i can't log into my Egg account just yet but will report later today/tomorrow.[/I]

Look forward to hearing if you got the discount or not.

Fingers crossed here!! :-)

Whyapple
Sep 24, 2005, 02:29 AM
THE BEST BIT

It had 2 x 512mb of ram instead of one!!!

Ok a new theory, are the refurbs being sent out with 1 GB of Ram deliberately in the light of an upcoming upgrade of Ram? Would be interested to know if anyone else has recently bought a PB from the Refurb store and received 1GB Ram?

markoibook
Sep 24, 2005, 10:40 AM
Hi guys,
After starting my new job last month, I'm finally earning enough money to afford that Powermac i've wanted for about 2 years!
Anyway, been monitoring the refurb store for the past few weeks, and noticed today that the Dual 2Ghz PM I've been thinking about had gone down by 100 pounds!
Needless to say, I've placed an order - just waiting for a confirmation email to say its definitely coming.
Have to say that at 979 pounds its a stonking deal - I'm taking this as a sign that the new PowerMacs are just round the corner - but I doubt that there will be a dual core 2Ghz at 979 - even if there is, I've heard that 1 dual core doesn't quite match up to the power of 2 single cores, so i doubt that a better machine at that price will be available.
The other great thing is that these are current gen powermacs, i would have expected them to be older gen, with older graphics cards less ram, etc.
So I'm a happy bunny - let you guys know how its goes.

alexeismertin
Sep 24, 2005, 11:57 AM
The box says 512mb so I don't think Apple are deliberately putting in 1GB Ram, also a while back at Hardmac.com they ordered a refurb dual 1.8 Powermac & discovered when they received it that it had an ATI 9800 instead of the nVidia 5200. The contention was that if someone orders a full spec machine with all the extras (extra ram, bigger hd etc), & subsequently it is returned for any reason Apple sell it with the basic hardware description - andleave the extras in. The description of the machine on the refurb store is supposed to reflect the minimum spec that you will receive.

I personally wouldn't expect anything extra but it is a nice surprise if it happens!

the Apple transaction is still not showing on my Egg card account - probably mid next week.

markoibook
Sep 26, 2005, 01:51 AM
OK guys,
Just checked the online store this morning, and my PowerMac is preparing shipment :)
I'm very excited now - hopefully it will ship soon :)

Shall let you guys know all about it when I get it.

bollard
Sep 26, 2005, 01:54 AM
Just an update if anyone's interested. I received the second refurb powerbook on Friday and once again it was in absolutely MINT condition. My Egg card once again shows a 10% instant cashback on the second PB purchase. I also bought Airport Express and a wireless mouse which I also received on Friday but these have yet to hit my Egg account.
Congrats Alexei on your extra RAM, I haven't had a chance to check mine yet, will report if there any surprises in there !!!!!

NATO
Sep 26, 2005, 05:00 AM
Has anyone purchased a Power Mac from the Refurbished store?

I've bought a Dual 2.0GHz Power Mac, and just recieved it. Because I'm at work, I can't really get at it to use it, but indications are good. The box is the full retail box (very pretty), and the manuals, discs (OS X 10.4) and accessories appear to be new. I even got the two apple stickers! The computer looks well packed so I'm looking forward to opening it later this evening once I get home.

Has anyone bought a Power Mac who can share their experience of the quality of the machine, and the included accessories etc?

markoibook
Sep 26, 2005, 05:06 AM

I've bought a Dual 2.0GHz Power Mac, and just recieved it. Because I'm at work, I can't really get at it to use it, but indications are good. The box is the full retail box (very pretty), and the manuals, discs (OS X 10.4) and accessories appear to be new. I even got the two apple stickers! The computer looks well packed so I'm looking forward to opening it later this evening once I get home.

Has anyone bought a Power Mac who can share their experience of the quality of the machine, and the included accessories etc?

Awesome - my powermac (same spec) has shipped this morning - here's hoping mines a brand new retail box too.
I'm thinking that they are now just using the store to clear stocks, ready for the new machines...

NATO
Sep 26, 2005, 05:13 AM
The spec didn't mention that it had Airport Extreme installed, so I'm looking at ordering in a card to use AirTunes etc. When you buy the card, it doesn't mention the aerial to connect to the rear of the Power Mac... does it actually come with the machine? Should I expect to find it with the accessories in my box?

EDIT - It's all good, I found it :D

How easy is an Airport card to install in a Power Mac?

markoibook
Sep 26, 2005, 05:43 AM
EDIT - It's all good, I found it :D

How easy is an Airport card to install in a Power Mac?

What does the aerial look like? Is it funky?

AFAIK, installing Airport card is really easy - it was easy on my iBook, and that involved opening up the keyboard :eek:

NATO
Sep 26, 2005, 05:56 AM
What does the aerial look like? Is it funky?

AFAIK, installing Airport card is really easy - it was easy on my iBook, and that involved opening up the keyboard :eek:

It's just like a plastic 'T', the end bit obviously screwing/plugging into the back of the Power Mac. Glad it came with it, I'm goin to order a card now :) Wanted to be sure its easy to fit

nomad01
Sep 26, 2005, 06:29 AM

Just ordered mine. I really wanted to wait for my Egg card to get another 10% off but at this price, I'd kick myself (hard!!) if I missed out.

If my Egg card gets here soon, I'm tempted to get the basic 15" Powerbook and take advantage of the discount there.

Just need to wait for my confirmation now! Yippeee! :)

markoibook
Sep 26, 2005, 06:42 AM
NATO - quick question, when did you order yours?

nomad01
Sep 26, 2005, 06:48 AM
NATO - quick question, when did you order yours?

Also, any estimates on how long it took before it went to "Preparing Shipment" status? Long shot I know. :)

NATO
Sep 26, 2005, 07:21 AM
Also, any estimates on how long it took before it went to "Preparing Shipment" status? Long shot I know. :)

Well it was ordered on the 21st September, approx lunchtime. It went to 'Preparing Shipment' literally a few hours later and was despatched that evening, both the acknowledgement and despatch e-mails were sent on the same day. Was astounded as to how quickly they got it out to me!

nomad01
Sep 26, 2005, 07:34 AM
Well it was ordered on the 21st September, approx lunchtime. It went to 'Preparing Shipment' literally a few hours later and was despatched that evening, both the acknowledgement and despatch e-mails were sent on the same day. Was astounded as to how quickly they got it out to me!

Jesus they must be desperate to get them out! Mine's gone from Order Received to Preparing Shipment in less than an hour!

NATO
Sep 26, 2005, 09:24 AM
Jesus they must be desperate to get them out! Mine's gone from Order Received to Preparing Shipment in less than an hour!

There seems to be a lot of suspicion as to why Apple have so many of these systems available refurbished and why they're so prompt to ship, but I don't really mind. Its the only way I would have been prepared to buy one. Dual 2Ghz Power mac for under 1000! Bargain! I really don't care what update is around the corner for that price

nomad01
Sep 26, 2005, 09:27 AM
I really don't care what update is around the corner for that price

No I agree completely. I don't think the G5s are going to be upped all that much more before the Intel switch and for me, going from a 1.33 G4 to a dual 2.0 G5 at this price is just an amazing bargain.

It's hard to argue with these prices. :-)

nomad01
Sep 26, 2005, 10:08 AM
And it's shipped!

Coming from Holland apparently so I should get it in a few days. Not that I'll be around to take delivery though. :confused:

This'll be murder waiting for the delivery now!! :(

NATO
Sep 26, 2005, 10:17 AM
Good to hear nomad, it'll be worth the wait in the end. You'll have it by the end of the week for sure, I had to wait over a weekend unfortunately :(

I can't wait to see if mine has any bonus extras like some people had previously (such as extra RAM, better graphics card etc). I'll post back tonight with any findings and my general opinion of the refurbished Power Mac.

markoibook
Sep 26, 2005, 10:24 AM
NATO - another quick question for you - where did your PowerMac ship from?

I'm just asking as mine was dispatched at 8am this morning, so it should have been able to travel a reasonable distance today :)
Annoyingly, I am unable to track it on TNT yet...

NATO
Sep 26, 2005, 10:29 AM

I'm just asking as mine was dispatched at 8am this morning, so it should have been able to travel a reasonable distance today :)

It shipped from Holland. Ring TNT as the web tracking isn't working properly. They will give you an expected delivery date. Mine arrived a day earlier than they quoted!

nomad01
Sep 26, 2005, 10:46 AM
Noticed the the store now has 14" iBooks and 12" Powerbooks going for a song (well, an expensive song but still cheap! ;) )

Just had a look at the US store and I think these dual 2.0 PM refurbs work out a bit cheaper in the UK. Makes a nice change. :)

nomad01
Sep 26, 2005, 10:55 AM

Is yours definitely shipping from TNT?

I just checked mine and it's UPS apparently. :confused:

nomad01
Sep 26, 2005, 11:50 AM
I can't wait to see if mine has any bonus extras like some people had previously (such as extra RAM, better graphics card etc). I'll post back tonight with any findings and my general opinion of the refurbished Power Mac.

Apologies for yet another post in the same thread but can you confirm if your PM came with iLife 05 installed and/or on CD? I assume it must do but wanted to double check.

Thanks
Steve

NATO
Sep 26, 2005, 01:31 PM
It's here :D I'm typing this message to you on me new Power Mac G5 Dual 2.0Ghz. :cool:

It's in top condition, although there are two small scratches around the front 'foot' of the case, although they're not something I'm going to lose sleep over (on the contrary, it means I'm less likely to 'baby' the computer to avoid that inevitable first scratch!)

The machine is 100% full working order and came with 1GB RAM rather than the advertised 512GB!! :D That was a BIG plus, as I was anticipating throwing the 2x256 Sticks out to get 4x512MB, but now all I need to do is get 2x512 and I'll have the 2GB I wanted! Thank you Apple!

iLife is fully installed, as is iWork surprisingly! Another thank you to Apple! (Although I had already purchased it for my Powerbook, at least both copies are fully licensed)

On the whole, totally overwhelmed with this sytem. Its everything I expected and more, with free RAM and software, I really can't complain.

I hope anyone else purchasing a similar Power Mac is as lucky as I have been!

markoibook
Sep 26, 2005, 01:50 PM
Awesome, awesome, awesome!
I can't wait till mine arrives - I've been wanting a PowerMac for 2 years, and I'm finally in a position where I can now afford little luxuries :)

How does the machine feel to use, speed wise? I ask this as my current mac is a G3 700 iBook - I love it to bits, but really could do with something a bit more meaty, hence the PowerBook.

Here's hoping we all end up with 1GB RAM, but if I don't - I'm not too fussed - as I saved 100 over buying it last week anyhow :)

alexeismertin
Sep 26, 2005, 02:11 PM
Old news I suppose by now but I got the 10% off using the Egg card for my refurb Powerbook.

Just to help others:

I received it about 36 hours from placing my order, it shipped TNT but I couldn't check the tracking (website or iTNT widget).

It comes with 10.4 + iLife '05 (not 10.4.2) & had extra apps licensed to 'Apple Bundle customers' including:
Graphic Converter
OmniGraffle
OmniOutliner
Filemaker Pro 7 trial

Overall this is my best Apple purchase over the years - works straight out of the box (ie no 3rd party ram etc) - All for 900!!

If anyone is in the market for a Powerbook then I can thoroughly recommend considering the Refurb store (+ Egg card).

alexeismertin
Sep 26, 2005, 02:21 PM
Thank you to everyone who tipped me off on the EGG card discount - much appreciated

nomad01
Sep 26, 2005, 02:41 PM
Here's hoping we all end up with 1GB RAM, but if I don't - I'm not too fussed - as I saved 100 over buying it last week anyhow :)

Yeah, I'm sort of doubting that but I'll be happy either way (happIER with 1GB RAM of course :D ).

Let us know what you get when you get it. :)

drlunanerd
Sep 26, 2005, 03:01 PM
Thanks for confirming you got the Egg card discount!

If there are no amazing PowerMac updates soon I'll be sorely tempted to bite on one of these refurbs.

However earlier this year I bought a refurb 2.5GHz PowerMac and had some problems with it resulting in me sending it back, so it's not 100% guaranteed that you'll end up a happy camper. The positive feedback here is a good sign though for this latest batch.

nomad01
Sep 26, 2005, 04:26 PM
However earlier this year I bought a refurb 2.5GHz PowerMac and had some problems with it resulting in me sending it back, so it's not 100% guaranteed that you'll end up a happy camper. The positive feedback here is a good sign though for this latest batch.

Well I think that's always a fear. There's always the chance that some lemons will get out but then that's a chance with a new machine too... and I suppose at least these should have had another check up before they're boxed back up.

Fingers crossed though. Be a nice machine to see me through to a stable Intel release a couple of years from now hopefully!

bollard
Sep 27, 2005, 02:11 AM
Hi Everyone,

I checked the Hardware description on my refurb powerbook last night
and it says

L2 Cache (per CPU ) 512 KB
Memory 2 GB

Forgive my ignorance ( this machine is for my girlfriend who knows far more about this sort of thing than I do ) but is this standard on the Powerbook 15"

Cheers

markoibook
Sep 27, 2005, 04:39 AM
PowerMac is going to arrive Wednesday, TNT tell me :)

alexeismertin
Sep 27, 2005, 06:19 AM
I found this utility which may help refurb buyers, it shows when & where your mac was built.

CoconutIdentity Card (http://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutidentitycard/index.html)

Its made by the same person as Coconut Battery.

My Powerbook was made in the USA late July!

bollard
Sep 27, 2005, 10:36 AM
Just to confirm all my 3 seperate Apple orders ( 2 powerbooks, an Airport Express and wireless mouse) have received a 10% instant cashback from EGG. I hope everyone here enjoys there Egg discounts. It's been a pleasure to share the deal.

Can anyone answer this please

Hi Everyone,

I checked the Hardware description on my refurb powerbook last night
and it says

L2 Cache (per CPU ) 512 KB
Memory 2 GB

Forgive my ignorance ( this machine is for my girlfriend who knows far more about this sort of thing than I do ) but is this standard on the Powerbook 15"

Cheers

drlunanerd
Sep 27, 2005, 10:40 AM
Just to confirm all my 3 seperate Apple orders ( 2 powerbooks, an Airport Express and wireless mouse) have received a 10% instant cashback from EGG. I hope everyone here enjoys there Egg discounts. It's been a pleasure to share the deal.

Have Egg debited the cashback on the PB you returned? If they haven't you've made money on it!

Standard memory (RAM) on the PowerBooks is 512MB. As you've got 2GB that's a stonking deal and more icing on your cake! :D

bollard
Sep 27, 2005, 10:49 AM
Have Egg debited the cashback on the PB you returned? If they haven't you've made money on it!

Standard memory (RAM) on the PowerBooks is 512MB. As you've got 2GB that's a stonking deal and more icing on your cake! :D

The courier only picked up the return yesterday afternoon, so won't see it on my Egg account for a while but I'll keep everybody posted.

Looking at the Powerbook bulid options it says that the upgrade to 2GB of memory is an extra 579.99. Surely Apple wouldn't have left that in my Powerbook ????
Also if you look at the Powerbooks in the Apple Store online there is a direct link to the Refurb store which I've never seen before. Really do think we'll see a Powerbook upgrade after 3rd October.

nomad01
Sep 27, 2005, 10:58 AM
Also if you look at the Powerbooks in the Apple Store online there is a direct link to the Refurb store which I've never seen before. Really do think we'll see a Powerbook upgrade after 3rd October.

Yeah I spotted that earlier. Does make you think somethings coming. 3rd Oct is a Monday too... just in time for a Tuesday update. :-)

Thanks for the Egg Card tip.

If mine comes in time, I'm grabbing a powerbook too.

Where does it say yours has 2GB by the way? Is it on the sheet that came with it or on the website? Have you powered up the machine to check it?

Steve

bollard
Sep 27, 2005, 11:02 AM
Yeah I spotted that earlier. Does make you think somethings coming. 3rd Oct is a Monday too... just in time for a Tuesday update. :-)

Thanks for the Egg Card tip.

If mine comes in time, I'm grabbing a powerbook too.

Where does it say yours has 2GB by the way? Is it on the sheet that came with it or on the website? Have you powered up the machine to check it?

Steve

It's not mentioned on the sheet or the website but I looked on the actual Powerbook and it said :-
L2 Cache (per CPU) 512 kb
Memory 2GB

nomad01
Sep 27, 2005, 01:02 PM
It's not mentioned on the sheet or the website but I looked on the actual Powerbook and it said :-
L2 Cache (per CPU) 512 kb
Memory 2GB

Oh okay I get you... excellent!! You lucky b@$t*rd! ;)

Well done.

markoibook
Sep 28, 2005, 03:26 AM
Powermac is arriving today - just checked and its out for delivery - let you know how it goes later...

nomad01
Sep 28, 2005, 04:10 AM
Good god... there are even more refurb PMs on there now.

Dual 1.8, previous rev dual 2.0 and the 2.5.

My PM has arrived in the UK but seems to be in limbo for now. :(

markoibook
Sep 28, 2005, 05:33 AM
PowerMac is here - it looks uber awesome - top condition, no marks, etc.
Will take it home and play with it tonight :D

bollard
Sep 28, 2005, 10:31 AM
FYI the 15" Superdrive and The 17" powerbook are now both OUT OF STOCK in the UK refurb store

nomad01
Sep 28, 2005, 10:33 AM
<sniff>

All the 15" and 17" Powerbooks have gone. :(

Woe is me. Ah well. Have to keep my eye open in case any others pop up on there.

surrey
Sep 28, 2005, 12:58 PM
Anyone know the difference between these two powermacs on the refurb store.
Power Mac G5 2GHz DP/512MB/160GB HD/16X DL SD/R9600 and this
Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHz G5/512MB/160GB/SD/PCI-X/GeFr5200

I can see the graphic card is different but which is the better one?

eva01
Sep 28, 2005, 01:01 PM
The top one is the newer one as it has the dual layer DVD burner and can only have the 4 slots for RAM

The bottom one has an 8X DVD burner and can have 8 slots for RAM (also has PCI-X)

nomad01
Sep 28, 2005, 01:23 PM
PowerMac is here - it looks uber awesome - top condition, no marks, etc.
Will take it home and play with it tonight :D

Mine was waiting at home for me. :)

Box wasn't in the best of shape and the manuals and accessories were loose on top but the Powermac seems fine.

Just migrating (great feature!) stuff off my Powerbook at the moment.

Didn't get any extra RAM but it all seems to be in working order so far. :)

bollard
Sep 29, 2005, 10:31 AM
Am I the only one who can't access the refurb store today ?????

al3000
Sep 29, 2005, 10:37 AM
Am I the only one who can't access the refurb store today ?????

I can get to the page where it explains about the refurb store, but the green button to enter at the bottom is no longer there. :confused:

markoibook
Sep 29, 2005, 11:11 AM
Yo guys...
Right my PowerMac appeared yesterday, and had a bit of a play with it last night.
Wow is it awesome or what?
Nice and quiet, and really fast. Photoshop CS loads in a second, unlike the 2 mins required on my old iBook.
I've still to get it all set up, and I need to pop to John Lewis to get myself an Airport Extreme card, but so far so good.
I've 'only' got 512MB RAM, and are considering buying another gig. If it flys at the mo, what kind of speed will it run at with that in it?
Oh and finally, I understand why Safari is claimed to be the fastest web browser. Even when compared to the PCs I used, the PowerMac flies - almost feels like my broadband conneciton has doubled in speed!

Cheers peeps - any questions, just ask!

alexeismertin
Sep 30, 2005, 04:40 AM
As the machine got hotter the more it warped!

What is even more warped is the tech support guy asked me to put credit cards under the warped edge (to check the stabilty of the machine & possibly my finances). I got 3 cards under one edge to stabilise it.

3 hours on the phone i finally got a return number (they really were hesitant to return this) - I have to return & reorder except where's the refurb store - Is it October 3rd already? Good god do apple know their arse from their ear these days??!! Advertise One thing - do another - great strategy...

.... anyway it's being picked up today by TNT .......

nomad01
Sep 30, 2005, 05:20 AM

That's scary! I thought they'd sorted the warping problem long ago.

The refurb store had sold out of all Powerbooks apart from the 12" the other day. Hopefully when it reopens again... whenever that is... they'll have a slightly replenished inventory. I called Apple to ask if they had any left and he said that on Wednesday they were just "flying off the shelves". Seems odd that they'd been there for so long and suddenly disappeared.

My PowerMac seems okay so far. The mouse that came with it was well used and a scratched though and it seems there was a loose connection in the lead. So they're sending a replacement. No big deal. Would have though they'd have replaced the mouse with a new one as the keyboard was brand new. Unless they no longer have any stocks of the mouse?

Anyway, fingers crossed that you get your PB sorted.

NATO
Sep 30, 2005, 06:48 AM
My keyboard and mouse were new, as was everything else by the looks of things except for the Power Mac itself, which was obviously Refurb.

One thing however which I wanted to check with anyone who's recently purchased a Refurb Power Mac is whether your system makes a high-frequency 'clicky' sound whenever anything graphics-intensive is being done. Best way to check this is to run the RSS Screensaver and listen, its fairly obvious in a quiet-ish room. I did a lot of reading about and found that by installing the CHUD Developer tools from the install disc, you can disable CPU 'Napping' which got rid of that issue immediately. Seems to be a hardware/software thing, but seems well known on all the forums etc. I'm certainly not unhappy with my machine, just wanted to see if any other people's Power Macs do the same thing

nomad01
Sep 30, 2005, 07:02 AM
My keyboard and mouse were new, as was everything else by the looks of things except for the Power Mac itself, which was obviously Refurb.

That's interesting. My keyboard was new but the mouse was very obviously used and wasn't even bagged. The install disks were opened too but the disks themselves look fine.

Maybe it depends what state the refurbs come back in. If the accessories are a mess, perhaps it's up to the individual "refurber" whether they replace things.

Anyway, I did a fresh install from the disks and so I know they work. I already had a keyboard so I've flogged the new one on eBay :D and I should be getting a new mouse shortly!

Although they did take my credit card number off me so they might just say the wear and tear was caused by me in the space of one day and charge me for it! :confused:

I've not noticed a chirping noise yet and I do use the RSS screensaver but the Powermac isn't that close to me at the moment and a noisy Dell machine is so I'll have a listen when I get home.

markoibook
Sep 30, 2005, 07:31 AM

One thing however which I wanted to check with anyone who's recently purchased a Refurb Power Mac is whether your system makes a high-frequency 'clicky' sound whenever anything graphics-intensive is being done. Best way to check this is to run the RSS Screensaver and listen, its fairly obvious in a quiet-ish room. I did a lot of reading about and found that by installing the CHUD Developer tools from the install disc, you can disable CPU 'Napping' which got rid of that issue immediately. Seems to be a hardware/software thing, but seems well known on all the forums etc. I'm certainly not unhappy with my machine, just wanted to see if any other people's Power Macs do the same thing

yeah, same here - though I believe it is a very common problem. I haven't tried unchecking NAP yet, but I will - though I would like to know why Apple don't recommend it. Of interest is that it also seems to be an issue that occured from Tiger onwards.

drlunanerd
Sep 30, 2005, 10:05 AM
yeah, same here - though I believe it is a very common problem. I haven't tried unchecking NAP yet, but I will - though I would like to know why Apple don't recommend it. Of interest is that it also seems to be an issue that occured from Tiger onwards.

It's not a problem that's arisen since Tiger; it's been there from the start of the PM G5s. I believe Apple don't recommend using nap because it raises the operating temperature of the CPUs. They will replace noisy power supplies for the older revision models, but not the later ones as they're supposed to be quieter by design.

NATO
Sep 30, 2005, 10:53 AM
I've got NAP disabled and I intend to keep it that way. The lack of high-frequency sound is a welcome relief!

I spoke to Apple last night and the guy was totally fine with me leaving NAP off 24/7. He even spoke to his supervisor who is more knowledgeable about Power Macs and he was fine also. I even gave them a web address of a page listing the problem and the fix etc, and he was reading through it and again had no problem.

The temperature of the CPUs does increase by about 10 degrees (oC), but even under full load, the temperature doesn't increase much, if any about that, and Apple have said 63-65 degrees is fine.

Whyapple
Sep 30, 2005, 03:03 PM

What is even more warped is the tech support guy asked me to put credit cards under the warped edge (to check the stabilty of the machine & possibly my finances). I got 3 cards under one edge to stabilise it.

3 hours on the phone i finally got a return number (they really were hesitant to return this) - I have to return & reorder except where's the refurb store - Is it October 3rd already? Good god do apple know their arse from their ear these days??!! Advertise One thing - do another - great strategy...

.... anyway it's being picked up today by TNT .......
Overall this is my best Apple purchase over the years - works straight out of the box (ie no 3rd party ram etc) - All for 900!!

If anyone is in the market for a Powerbook then I can thoroughly recommend considering the Refurb store (+ Egg card).

Is this one of the 2 new PB's you kept from the refurb store Alexei? Many sympathies, so where do you stand now as to getting a replacement as the Refurb store temporarily (at least) has no more 15" PB's on offer?

Are you still recommending point 2 as being a good move in the light of your experiences so far?

alexeismertin
Oct 1, 2005, 05:12 AM
The warped PB is the second machine (with Egg discount), the first machine was collected by the same TNT courier when the second machine was delivered.

Apple said I had 2 options - keep it warped or return & re-order. I returned it but now the Apple Refurb store is out of stock - not a problem though.

I plan on getting a new PB when a new one is released, which I think is coming in the very near future (within a month). I was reading Hardmac (http://www.hardmac.com/news/2005-09-30/#4552) & now Appleinsider (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1298) & they mentioned low stocks & upcoming hardware so I thought I would investigate this a bit.

Online at John Lewis, Dabs & PC World you will be hard pushed to find one in stock, I am in Bristol this weekend so popped into the main Apple retailer (western computers) situated just as you come out of the train station - they haven't seen a powerbook in weeks!! I texted a friend working for PC World and they have nothing in stock at their branch and nothing in any of the other Bristol branches. I checked Pricerunner and found the odd retailer with a 17" or 12". In other words STOCKS ARE LOOOWWWW..

Another thing, with the Egg card you have a limit of 200 worth of discount, i don't know whether the refund would reset that limit for me or whether i will be over it. So I got my sister to apply for an Egg card just to be on the safe side.
I secretly think the PB prices will go down by 100 (as did the refurb prices but only showed 20% discount - if you work in reverse the base 15" PB would have to be approx 1250 to begin with to allow a 20% discount to give a final price of 1003) but even if they don't I will get the Egg discount & just buy new.

It doesn't matter whether you buy regular, education or refurb it still shows as 'Apple Computer INTL Internet' on your credit card statement. Thats how my education store discount purchases appear & thats how my refurb store purchase appeared. Egg will just give you that 10% on top of the education discount.

I am not expecting any ground breaking upgrades just the next processor up (1.5>1.67 / 1.67>1.8), possibly 128mb graphics as standard & 20gb on the hard drive. I can accept a slightly faster PB for the extra money (compared with the refurb).

To summarise, there is no such thing as an Apple bargain - just take advantage of the Egg card (edu discount if applicable) & any other e-coupon apple send you & buy NEW.

PS. make sure you apply for the 'Egg Money' card and NOT the 'Egg' card.

drlunanerd
Oct 1, 2005, 08:35 AM
Another thing, with the Egg card you have a limit of 200 worth of discount, i don't know whether the refund would reset that limit for me or whether i will be over it. So I got my sister to apply for an Egg card just to be on the safe side.

It doesn't matter whether you buy regular, education or refurb it still shows as 'Apple Computer INTL Internet' on your credit card statement. Thats how my education store discount purchases appear & thats how my refurb store purchase appeared. Egg will just give you that 10% on top of the education discount.

To summarise, there is no such thing as an Apple bargain - just take advantage of the Egg card (edu discount if applicable) & any other e-coupon apple send you & buy NEW.

Thanks for the update alexei. I can confirm that the Egg instant cashback applies whether you order via the Egg web link or not, so that's good.

However just to correct you, the instant cashback has no maximum limit. Only the normal 1% cashback has the 200 annual limit.

Buying refurb comes with a risk that you won't get a pristine fault-free item, just as when buying new. However in my experience those that say in buying refurb you're less likely to have problems are wrong. However it's still worth a try in my opinion - if you subsequently have grounds to reject the item then Apple will refund you without too much hassle.

Got a Power Mac winging its way to me at the moment. I've waited a long time to get one at what I think is a decent price, so am hoping very much there are no problems with it. As I mentioned before I bought a refurb 2.5GHz machine earlier in the year and was disappointed. Please Apple no encores this time!

nomad01
Oct 1, 2005, 09:03 AM
Got a Power Mac winging its way to me at the moment. I've waited a long time to get one at what I think is a decent price, so am hoping very much there are no problems with it. As I mentioned before I bought a refurb 2.5GHz machine earlier in the year and was disappointed. Please Apple no encores this time!

Well my refurb Power Mac has been up and runnning for a few days and unless anything goes terribly wrong, I'm very happy. I was prepared to buy new but knowing that I'll probably want to get in on the Intel machines in the not too distant future, the refurb price made more sense.

I'm very happy. I agree though, you're not any more or less likely to get a duff machine through the Refurb store. Everything I seem to buy new has problems so I come to expect it but so far so good with this. In fact, my Apple purchases on the whole have been good over the years.

bollard
Oct 3, 2005, 06:03 AM
Very sorry to hear of your Powerbook problems alexei. I've just got my refund on my Egg account from my first returned refurb PB. Egg also took back my first cashback payment which is far too efficient of them !!!
As for my refurb,so far I'm very happy with it. Not that I would notice with my computing needs but my girlfriend was very happy with the extra 1.5gb of memory. Also it looks like there is Microsoft office installed on there which again is a nice bonus. So to sum up I would definately go with the refurb option again. The lower price for a current machine ( for a little longer maybe ) , the Egg discount and the fact that you can get lucky with Extras that have been installed previously, means that you can get a great computer at a great price. If it hadn't been for the discount I would probably have gone for an iBook as I wasn't prepared to stretch to 1,575 for a new model Powerbook.

Whyapple
Oct 3, 2005, 06:28 AM
Very sorry to hear of your Powerbook problems alexei. I've just got my refund on my Egg account from my first returned refurb PB. Egg also took back my first cashback payment which is far too efficient of them !!!
As for my refurb,so far I'm very happy with it. Not that I would notice with my computing needs but my girlfriend was very happy with the extra 1.5gb of memory. Also it looks like there is Microsoft office installed on there which again is a nice bonus. So to sum up I would definately go with the refurb option again. The lower price for a current machine ( for a little longer maybe ) , the Egg discount and the fact that you can get lucky with Extras that have been installed previously, means that you can get a great computer at a great price. If it hadn't been for the discount I would probably have gone for an iBook as I wasn't prepared to stretch to 1,575 for a new model Powerbook.

Thankyou Bollard, that's very useful info after Alexei's bad experience, reassuring. Now all we need is for more 15" PB's to appear in the Refurb store?? Your G/F's machine sounds fab value!! :)

jeraiya
Oct 16, 2005, 04:51 PM
I know this is a really old thread but if alexeismertin could get in touch with me, my email is emir_shelesh@yahoo.co.uk, i'd be really greatful.

I need some help with merging my shopping cart over from the apple education site with the 10% Egg promotional apple store.

If anyone else can help with doing that i'd also be very greatful.

cheers

drlunanerd
Oct 16, 2005, 05:46 PM
I know this is a really old thread but if alexeismertin could get in touch with me, my email is emir_shelesh@yahoo.co.uk, i'd be really greatful.

I need some help with merging my shopping cart over from the apple education site with the 10% Egg promotional apple store.

If anyone else can help with doing that i'd also be very greatful.

cheers

You don't need to use the Egg link - this has been confirmed in this thread. Just order using your Egg Money card. Also, check out the Apple promo codes sticky thread for more savings...

jeraiya
Oct 16, 2005, 06:42 PM
Thanks so much for the info. That's saved me alot of hassel :)

will check out the sticky thanks.

al3000
Oct 17, 2005, 11:55 AM
Does the egg offer only apply to the apple store online?

drlunanerd
Oct 17, 2005, 12:11 PM
Does the egg offer only apply to the apple store online?

No, phone orders too - it says so on the Egg page:

im_to_hyper
Oct 17, 2005, 12:25 PM

Wow! The same refurb from the US store is $1799... which today is 1025.28

al3000
Oct 21, 2005, 08:04 AM
Does anyone know if it is possible to get the egg card discount with student discount?

drlunanerd
Oct 21, 2005, 08:23 AM
Does anyone know if it is possible to get the egg card discount with student discount?

Yes you can, this has been confirmed in this thread a few times already...

DJ1UK
Oct 21, 2005, 08:40 AM
How can I get the Egg cashback with the student discount? I take it, its using the Egg Money card.

In Eggs Terms and Conditions it says links on their site must be used to get the cashback. Clicking the link leads you to the apple store site, but there is no option to then go the educational prices?!?

Anyone done this already who can talk me through it?

Cheers

DJ

sreedy
Oct 21, 2005, 09:02 AM
In Eggs Terms and Conditions it says links on their site must be used to get the cashback. Clicking the link leads you to the apple store site, but there is no option to then go the educational prices?!?

In previous threads on the forum people have said that just buying from Apple online is enough to get the cash back, there is no need to follow the links. This is only what I have previously read.......