Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyelight

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2004
I have an old blue and white iBook, one of the first, 300Mhz as far as I remember. I've been trying to get my father to use a computer and can give this to him, but would like to install OSX on it first.

Can you run OSX on this iBook ?

Since it only has a CD drive, can you even install OSX on it ?

Larry

15" PB 1.5 Ghz

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
eyelight said:
I have an old blue and white iBook, one of the first, 300Mhz as far as I remember. I've been trying to get my father to use a computer and can give this to him, but would like to install OSX on it first.

Can you run OSX on this iBook ?

Since it only has a CD drive, can you even install OSX on it ?

Larry

15" PB 1.5 Ghz

Yep, you can put OS X 10.3 Panther on it. I don't think anything more, because I have one of those(Tangerine) and it doesn't have FireWire, and I think Mac OS X 10.4 requires FireWire. It will be dramatically slow. and it's only a 3GB HD. I'd put in a 256MB RAM chip and put OS 9.2.2 on there to run smooth.

It can't really handle much.

.:*Robot Boy*:.

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2005
New Zealand
lilstewart92 said:
Yep, you can put OS X 10.2 Jaguar on it. I don't think anything more, because I have one of those(Tangerine) and it doesn't have FireWire, and I think Mac OS X 10.3+ requires FireWire. It will be dramatically slow. and it's only a 3GB HD. I'd put in a 256MB RAM chip and put OS 9.2.2 on there to run smooth.

It can't really handle much.

Tiger (10.4) requires FireWire, Panther (10.3) only requires USB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.