PDA

View Full Version : When do I buy a powerbook???

Turbo
Sep 21, 2005, 08:34 AM
Hello all,

I was just about to buy a 15" powerbook, superdrive, 1.67, 128 graphics card.
But now it seems everyone is telling me not to.
i have already sold my old iMac SE so now have nothing at home to work on. i was all excited and ready to buy one. what should i do???
is there any real point in trying to keep up with apple, surely they're always gonna replace what i buy. although i will be gutted if they bring an update out asoon as i buy!
Thanks all

eva01
Sep 21, 2005, 08:38 AM
when do you buy a powerbook eh....when you go into the store and give apple your money.

Just get one now if all you ever do is wait then you will be waiting forever because there will always be something newer and better.

Or you can do what i do and buy a laptop every 2 years :P

Turbo
Sep 21, 2005, 08:50 AM
i suppose you're right - just annoying if they replace it with a G5 or something soon.

so if i was to buy - do you know how important it is to get the top model of the superdrive one. it has 100gb rather than 80gb and a 128card rather than a 64card for graphics. for extra 200!

i'll be mainly working in photoshop/indesign and maybe a bit of iMovie etc.

sorry, i'm pestering now!

Bear
Sep 21, 2005, 08:56 AM
i suppose you're right - just annoying if they replace it with a G5 or something soon.

so if i was to buy - do you know how important it is to get the top model of the superdrive one. it has 100gb rather than 80gb and a 128card rather than a 64card for graphics. for extra 200!

i'll be mainly working in photoshop/indesign and maybe a bit of iMovie etc.

sorry, i'm pestering now!Are you talking the 17" model as the top model? If so, you have to decide if you will be okay carrying around the larger PowerBook.

As for drive size, you may find you need the 100GB depending on what you are doing. iMovie chews up disk space.

And as for VRam, going for 128MB will improve the performance of most graphic intensive applications.

And as for the SuperDrive, unless you want to have to keep plugigng in an external DVD burner when you use iMovie, I recommend getting the SuperDrive. Keeps the system more compact and mobile.

Turbo
Sep 21, 2005, 09:00 AM
Are you talking the 17" model as the top model? If so, you have to decide if you will be okay carrying around the larger PowerBook.

As for drive size, you may find you need the 100GB depending on what you are doing. iMovie chews up disk space.

And as for VRam, going for 128MB will improve the performance of most graphic intensive applications.

And as for the SuperDrive, unless you want to have to keep plugigng in an external DVD burner when you use iMovie, I recommend getting the SuperDrive. Keeps the system more compact and mobile.

advice much appreciated
i was just thinking the 15" actually. better go for the top one then. 1700 in london.
i might fly to the states and bring one back and get a holiday too!

dmw007
Sep 21, 2005, 09:04 AM
Are you talking the 17" model as the top model? If so, you have to decide if you will be okay carrying around the larger PowerBook.

Ya, pretty much what [B]Bear[B/] had to say.

-Go with the 100GB HDD as you will need the room eventually.

-Going with 128MB of VRAM is a smart choice. It will give you better performance and it can not be upgrade later so buy it now.

-Superdrive, I think that its worth it to have it in the long run.

Oh, and don't worry about ever seeing a PowerBook G5, the odds of them coming out are slim to none. That's probably the half the reason for the announced switch to Intel.

dmw007
Sep 21, 2005, 09:05 AM
advice much appreciated
i was just thinking the 15" actually. better go for the top one then. 1700 in london.

Going with the 15" PowerBook G4 would probably be a smart choice. Its lighter and more compact, while still able to pump out the same amount of performance.

Turbo
Sep 21, 2005, 09:09 AM
Going with the 15" PowerBook G4 would probably be a smart choice. Its lighter and more compact, while still able to pump out the same amount of performance.

looks like i just gotta find the best deal now then.
i was readingthe forums last week leading up to the paris expo and thought they were gonna upgrade the PB's but looks like they won't so i'll just buy.
i suppose if they do upgrade i'll have to pay more anyway!

thanks all, i will go and eat some english tea now, shoot a pheasant and relax in my top hat thankful for your opinions.

dmw007
Sep 21, 2005, 09:19 AM
looks like i just gotta find the best deal now then.
i was readingthe forums last week leading up to the paris expo and thought they were gonna upgrade the PB's but looks like they won't so i'll just buy.
i suppose if they do upgrade i'll have to pay more anyway!

thanks all, i will go and eat some english tea now, shoot a pheasant and relax in my top hat thankful for your opinions.

No problem.

Enjoy your PowerBook G4 (whichever one you end up getting).

Although, you might want to wait till after the Paris Expo (goes to the 24th?) since I heard that Apple had its booth covered in black cloth (symbolic of an upgrade waiting to be released). Not sure if thats the case anymore though.

Either way, you can't go wrong with a new PowerBook G4 (updated or otherwise).

eva01
Sep 21, 2005, 09:41 AM
Eating tea is that possible is eating a drinking the same thing, or is it chunky

wdlove
Sep 21, 2005, 11:31 AM
advice much appreciated

I would also recommend the 15". It should be able to accomplish all of your tasks nicely. Getting RAM from Crucial will also give a noticeable increase in performance, 1 GB is a good goal if affordable.

Turbo
Sep 21, 2005, 11:34 AM
Eating tea is that possible is eating a drinking the same thing, or is it chunky

sorry that's my poor grammar.
i do like my tea nice and strong, but chunky treacle is too much.

dcv
Sep 21, 2005, 11:39 AM
There are some AMAZING deals on 15"/17" PowerBooks in the refurbs (http://promo.euro.apple.com/promo/refurb/uk/) section of the UK store at the moment.

alexeismertin
Sep 21, 2005, 11:45 AM
There are some AMAZING deals on 15"/17" PowerBooks in the refurbs (http://promo.euro.apple.com/promo/refurb/uk/) section of the UK store at the moment.

There are, got basic a 15" 1.5 Ghz for 981, ordered & shipped today.

Turbo
Sep 21, 2005, 11:48 AM

Hmmm, very interesting. Is that not risky though - says you can get imperfections - what about your guarantee?

AJ Muni
Sep 21, 2005, 11:49 AM
To answer your original question...BUY ONE NOW!!! geez stop waiting you kno you want one....