PDA

View Full Version : First baby of 2003 to be a clone???

edesignuk
Dec 1, 2002, 05:29 AM
Taken from wired.com article
Cloning enthusiast Severino Antinori is at it again. He claims the first cloned human will be born in January, and as usual, the scientific community is skeptical.

Full story (http://www.wired.com/news/medtech/0,1286,56626,00.html).

spuncan
Dec 1, 2002, 11:08 AM
now imnot against cloning for medical purposes (like stem cell research) in the east but when u start cloning people its just wrong and overall pointless. At first it will just be a simple dna alteration to make you better. but then one day youll be walkin down the street and some cat person will walk up and say hi. So overall you cant play god, and I am yet to see the plus in cloning people.

wdlove
Dec 1, 2002, 01:31 PM
I'm sure that there will be cloning. The medical benefits of stem cell research are endless. My fear is a Hitler like figure in the future.

All new medical research has met with religious oposition, blasphemous. So I'm not sure how I feel yet. After all it is God that gives us knowledge, man has freedom. The problem is always in the way that it is used.

rainman::|:|
Dec 1, 2002, 04:24 PM
take this with about a shaker of salt; the guy is nuts. he claimed in march or april of last year to have impregnated a bunch of women with cloned fetuses and now he's claiming they're going to give birth. he hasn't given a single bit of evidence that he even has the resources to do this... and scientists everywhere, after this latest announcement, were saying "if he's really doing this, there's no reason not to publish SOME sort of details"....

oh, and since we're sharing our views, i'm against cloning and stem-cell research in any form. as well as bio-engineering. i think it's all garbage that will horrifically disrupt the delicate balance of nature forever. We barely know how magnetics work, and gravity, we certainly don't need to be playing with this type of thing... i'm also against the idea of creating life in a labratory, although i'm also incredibly curious about that one, almost to the point where i want to see it done despite the consequences...

to sum up: it's all about the butterfly effect.

:)
pnw

mymemory
Dec 1, 2002, 05:43 PM
As long is a clone of a good looking girl it is fine with me:D

Roger1
Dec 1, 2002, 06:37 PM
This may be a little simplistic, but why clone a person, them have them as a baby? With all of the orphans out there, why not adopt? :(

wdlove
Dec 1, 2002, 06:47 PM
Current Stem cell research has the potential to cure such diseases as Alzeheimer's, Parkinson's, spinal cord injury, & transplant organs. If any of you have a family member with one of the diseases, I'm sure being in favor would not be a question!

http://www.nih.gov/news/stemcell/primer.htm

Mr. Anderson
Dec 1, 2002, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by wdlove
Current Stem cell research has the potential to cure such diseases as Alzeheimer's, Parkinson's, spinal cord injury, & transplant organs. If any of you have a family member with one of the diseases, I'm sure being in favor would not be a question!

Rationalizing this for selfish reasons is not the basis for a good argument. Just because a loved one could benefit from the research doesn't make it right, regardless of the potential. I'm thinking that something will come up in the future that will make stem cell research obsolete that has none of the ethical and moral issues associated with it.

D

springscansing
Dec 1, 2002, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet

Rationalizing this for selfish reasons is not the basis for a good argument. Just because a loved one could benefit from the research doesn't make it right, regardless of the potential. I'm thinking that something will come up in the future that will make stem cell research obsolete that has none of the ethical and moral issues associated with it.

D

I'm sorry, but that's just idiotic on a multitude of levels. There is nothing wrong with stem-cell research, and it is going to happen regardless of what Christians or anyone say, and it will most likely end up saving some of their lives.

Durandal7
Dec 1, 2002, 08:20 PM
Antinori is an idiot who is in the field to gain publicity for himself. He finds the most controversial subject in medicine then makes a spectacle of it so he can get on the evening news. He would be better suited to run a carnival :rolleyes:

Mr. Anderson
Dec 1, 2002, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by springscansing

I'm sorry, but that's just idiotic on a multitude of levels. There is nothing wrong with stem-cell research, and it is going to happen regardless of what Christians or anyone say, and it will most likely end up saving some of their lives.

I don't doubt it won't happen, I was commenting in response to wdlove - I have no real problem stem cell research, its just a bit controvercial - but personal reasons don't justify something just because it effects you, there is a much larger picture here.

And I agree with Durandal7 - Antorini is in it for only personal reasons, that and maybe getting some funding. Cloning, the snake oil of the 21st Century.....

D

GeeYouEye
Dec 2, 2002, 01:37 AM
This guy is a quack. Until I see a live, cloned baby on the cover of Newsweek, I won't believe this. As for my views on the whole thing, I'm opposed to cloning of people, eugenics, and any more stem cell research than is currently being conducted right now. However, unlike most other people who are opposed to them, I have slightly unusual reasons. First off, for cloning, we have enough people on this planet already. An infertile couple wants a baby? They can adopt. Now, if we were able to clone people without cloning the neural tissue (basically a sack of organs), and keep them in cold storage for transplants, transfusions, etc., that would be a worthy endeavor, as dozens of people die each year waiting for organ donations. As for eugenics, this is the only one I'm opposed to for 'normal' reasons. It would not be good to create a Kahn Noonien Singh, or an Adolph Hitler for that matter. As for stem cell research, I think it is a futile effort that just pisses off a lot of people. There is not one shred of evidence that stem cell research will be beneficial, only a hypothesis which is yet to yield any results.

BenderBot1138
Dec 2, 2002, 02:20 AM
Man didn't that guy learn anything from the PC industry???

... DUDE!!! your gettin a clone...

I'm all in favor of cloning... I think there's a real shortage of disabled persons around... cloning will help increase their numbers so they can rule with an iron fist over the healthy people...

:cool:

Mr. Anderson
Dec 2, 2002, 07:44 AM
Cloning will happen, its just a matter of time. But whether Severino Antinori is the guy to do it or not remains to be seen. I'd imagine it won't happen for many more years to come, but you never know.

There was another Italian scientist who wanted to make a human/chimp hybrid to serve as a slave race for humans. I read this in the 90s but couldn't find anything on it today. :(

I did find this though, weird....

http://www.parascope.com/en/cryptozoo/missingLinks10.htm

D

BenderBot1138
Dec 3, 2002, 06:21 AM
Wow dukestreet!!! I know that guy! He's an Italian Scientist I think! People have got to see that link... http://www.parascope.com/en/cryptozoo/missingLinks10.htm...its very amazing...

:cool: