PDA

View Full Version : Instagram Update Features Camera Redesign and New Filter

MacRumors
Dec 10, 2012, 05:29 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/10/instagram-update-features-camera-redesign-and-new-filter/)

Instagram (http://blog.instagram.com) today launched its 3.2 upgrade, which includes the newly released Willow filter and a camera makeover that improves both the look and speed of in-app picture taking.

The camera redesign is a welcome change, adding features like quicker access to the Camera Roll for iPhone 5 users, a better layout of the Camera Roll image selector, a rule-of-thirds grid for taking live shots, and an Instagram-themed shutter and shutter release button.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/12/instagramupdatedcamera.jpg
Instagram's new Willow filter is monochromatic, with hints of purple and a white border. Previously, Instagram's only monochromatic filter was Inkwell, which produces a standard black and white photo.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/12/willowfilter.jpg
The app's tilt shift function received an update, with a new blur algorithm that improves the quality of tilt shift photos, and a number of other small improvements have been added:-News Feed redesign that's easier to digest, in addition to larger images.
-Beautiful new welcome screen design.
-Infinite scroll on user profiles and other grid views.
-Filtered photos are now saved to a separate album called "Instagram" in the iOS camera roll.
-Foursquare button on location pages that opens the Foursquare application, or mobile website, with details about the venue.Instagram's update comes as the company is involved in an ongoing dispute with Twitter. Last week, Instagram removed Twitter Card support, which prevents Instagram photos from being displayed as previews in Tweets. During his talk at LeWeb (http://www.leweb.co) on Dec. 5, Kevin Systrom explained the decision."We're working on building an awesome web presence, which we just launched. We revamped our web properties, and now we're able to staff up teams to work on web properties with the Facebook acquisition."Rumors have also suggested (http://allthingsd.com/20121208/twitter-aims-to-release-photo-filters-in-time-for-the-holidays/) that Twitter is planning on implementing its own photo editing capabilities, including photo filters, in the coming weeks.

Instagram is a free app for the iPhone that can be downloaded in the App Store (http://appshopper.com/photography/instagram).

Article Link: Instagram Update Features Camera Redesign and New Filter (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/10/instagram-update-features-camera-redesign-and-new-filter/)

ZacNicholson
Dec 10, 2012, 05:38 PM
not showing up on my iphone :mad:

portishead
Dec 10, 2012, 05:42 PM
Wow! A whole new filter! How amazing. :rolleyes:

FooMan2011
Dec 10, 2012, 05:42 PM
Cool. I guess...?

Jason Garza
Dec 10, 2012, 05:49 PM
not showing up on my iphone :mad:

Didn't show on mine either had to search for it in the app store then update. First impression not so good.

WillFisher
Dec 10, 2012, 06:00 PM
New filter is essentially the same as the old black and white one...
Facebook buying out Instagram is not looking good anymore :(

PBF
Dec 10, 2012, 06:14 PM
Couldn't care less about the new filter.

However, the tilt-shift option has been drastically improved.

IKBest
Dec 10, 2012, 06:16 PM
Couldn't care less about the new filter.

However, the tilt-shift option has been drastically improved.

Yea, I noticed that too, its soo much better

Kaibelf
Dec 10, 2012, 06:35 PM
Great! Now I can post more "artistic" pics of fire hydrants to pretend I know a darn about photography.

cosmicthing
Dec 10, 2012, 06:42 PM
Has this update disabled full photo library access? Seems I can only access camera roll - or am I being thick?!

pnoyblazed
Dec 10, 2012, 07:02 PM
what is this "tilt-shift" option? I can't seem to find it

wikus
Dec 10, 2012, 07:16 PM
Hipsters and Pseudo Photographers, rejoice!

ChrisMan287
Dec 10, 2012, 07:21 PM
I like the new update. It came up on my iPad.

SnowLeopard OSX
Dec 10, 2012, 07:24 PM
In unrelated news, is anyone else upset about how Facebook pulled all Instagram photos on Twitter? It's really upsetting...

thekev
Dec 10, 2012, 07:42 PM
what is this "tilt-shift" option? I can't seem to find it

Well the function itself initially came from large format/view cameras. Shift means you're able to use an outer portion of the image circle cast by the lens by shifting it in one of two dimensions. You can get some some amount of vignetting when you do this. It becomes more significant as you approach the edges. It's not quite the same as shifting the entire camera that distance. You're capturing a portion of the image delivered by the lens that you would not see in its standard alignment. It's useful for correcting things like convergence. Tilt is another lens plane movement. It allows you to control the plane of focus. In the instagram sense, it's just doing this with the image you already have. At an analogue level, you would be leveraging a larger image circle projected by the lens. In this case it just adjusts from what you have and crops in as necessary. It can't really be used to put more in focus, but it could be used to throw certain things out of focus to give this impression.

Radin.Y
Dec 10, 2012, 08:01 PM
In unrelated news, is anyone else upset about how Facebook pulled all Instagram photos on Twitter? It's really upsetting...

Did they really? I noticed my photos were missing, but I just thought it was an error...

That is upsetting :(

jvpython
Dec 10, 2012, 08:14 PM
Keeps crashing when I take a picture with it on my iPhone 4S

deannnnn
Dec 10, 2012, 08:26 PM
I like that it no longer allows you to use photos from your camera roll without cropping to the square 1:1 size. Before it would let you leave black bars on the top and bottom if you wanted to.

Builddesign
Dec 10, 2012, 08:26 PM
The selection icons don't need to be that big. Adding one filter with an update is weak.

mabhatter
Dec 11, 2012, 04:21 AM

Clever way to point out Instagram has new masters... Masters that are going to break the great "small kids on the block" politics Instagram has enjoyed for a few quick jabs at other big Internet companies.

I suppose you have to sell out... When the big companies come poaching you either play along and take their money... Or watch them poach you talent, clone your product and take your money. I wouldn't be surprised if Hipstamatic is getting offers to sell out as well... Every big player wants their own iPhone App for square photos nowadays.

kirky29
Dec 11, 2012, 04:30 AM
I like that it no longer allows you to use photos from your camera roll without cropping to the square 1:1 size. Before it would let you leave black bars on the top and bottom if you wanted to.

Yep, noticed this too! But I find it annoying. Not sure if I fully like this update!

--

@kirky29 - if anybody is interested ;-)

Blomkvist
Dec 11, 2012, 07:17 AM

Wow, haters gonna hate.

Any camera/app/whatever that gets anyone excited or interested in photography is okay by me. As with any art, beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

sagar4995
Dec 11, 2012, 07:47 AM
love the update! i'gram's defi gotten me into photography over the last couple of months. found myself actually reading up wiki on "tilt-shift" :D

just incase anyone's interested in a good photo filtering app's, i dloaded Snapseed (for those that dont know bout this app) a couple of days back, its currently free, so grab away. its amazing! :o

ksgant
Dec 11, 2012, 08:04 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0la5DBtOVNI

flipn0tic
Dec 11, 2012, 08:50 AM
I personally hate this change. I always left the black bars there because I prefer the widescreen format vs the 1:1.

----------

The selection icons don't need to be that big. Adding one filter with an update is weak.

Not to mention a crappy redundant greyscale filter.

How about a feature worth updating? Like toggling the intensity of effects (like Camera+ has).

skinned66
Dec 11, 2012, 09:03 AM
____ Instagram. This doesn't make up for yanking twitter cards.

a.jfred
Dec 11, 2012, 09:07 AM
I used it this morning to snap a quick pic, and noticed the camera lags HORRIBLY - worse than it did before.

You can still access your photo library, tho - there should be a button to the right of the new "take a picture" button.

I'd stopped using Instagram for a while, and this update is going to likely push me to other apps.

Razeus
Dec 11, 2012, 09:18 AM
I used it this morning to snap a quick pic, and noticed the camera lags HORRIBLY - worse than it did before.

You can still access your photo library, tho - there should be a button to the right of the new "take a picture" button.

I'd stopped using Instagram for a while, and this update is going to likely push me to other apps.

I can't access any photo on my iPhone besides the Camera Roll. WTF? They totally botched this. Let me get access to ALL the photos on my iPhone like I used to, not just the Camera Roll!! :mad:

Razeus
Dec 11, 2012, 09:33 AM

Oh really? :rolleyes:

Some of us use the service to showcase some more serious/genuine mobile photography or reformat regular photos for the square format. Not EVERYONE takes photos of their coffee on a wooden table. Perhaps you're following the wrong people...

Case in point: www.instagram.com/dharrisphotog

:apple:

iapplelove
Dec 11, 2012, 10:00 AM
Instagram was cool like 2 years ago

flipn0tic
Dec 11, 2012, 10:10 AM
Instagram was cool like 2 years ago

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, the metahipster.

iapplelove
Dec 11, 2012, 10:18 AM
Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, the metahipster.

Uh no. It's true it was a lot cooler 2 years ago when it was more of a community. It's way different now clearly you just joined probably within the last 2 months when it became the thing to do thus your response

GuitarDTO
Dec 11, 2012, 10:36 AM
I hate to say it, but Instagram really has lost it's luster and I have to agree with iapplelove to an extent. It has been over-run with kids and hipsters who post thousands of garbage photos and do nothing more than compete for likes and followers, which has in turn spawned hundreds/thousands of Bot users that have quieted a lot of the community interraction. People used to genuinely comment on photos and the community was fantastic (pre-Android especially). When it started getting too big though, things started to decline. I've noticed too that a lot of the better and more active photographers I followed rarely post any more.

rmwebs
Dec 11, 2012, 11:45 AM
Oh really? :rolleyes:

Some of us use the service to showcase some more serious/genuine mobile photography or reformat regular photos for the square format. Not EVERYONE takes photos of their coffee on a wooden table. Perhaps you're following the wrong people...

Case in point: www.instagram.com/dharrisphotog

:apple:

No offense, but making your iPhone snaps black and white, and slapping a couple of filters on them does not make you a photographer, regardless of if you take a photo of a wooden table, or a guy with a white beard.

Razeus
Dec 11, 2012, 11:50 AM
No offense, but making your iPhone snaps black and white, and slapping a couple of filters on them does not make you a photographer, regardless of if you take a photo of a wooden table, or a guy with a white beard.

Hmmm, so how is this different from any other photography. Is DSLR required? Medium format? Only a certain type of film, a certain type of sensor?

You might not realize it, but ALL PHOTOGRAPHY has some type of "filter slapped on it". Tri-X film, Afga 125, Kodachrome 64, Photoshop actions, LR presets, Instagram filters...It's all the same stuff in principle...

Don't be lame...:rolleyes:

INSTAGRAM IS NO DIFFERENT FROM THE MANY TYPES OF FILMS THAT WERE/ARE AVAILABLE.

flipn0tic
Dec 11, 2012, 11:52 AM
Uh no. It's true it was a lot cooler 2 years ago when it was more of a community. It's way different now clearly you just joined probably within the last 2 months when it became the thing to do thus your response
I'm pretty sure you just confirmed your hipster stance with this response.

"I liked it before it became popular."

iapplelove
Dec 11, 2012, 12:05 PM
I'm pretty sure you just confirmed your hipster stance with this response.

"I liked it before it became popular."

You just don't get it/

Nor will you ever. Pretty sure your always going to be late to the party with everything

gotluck
Dec 11, 2012, 12:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0la5DBtOVNI

haha :D

flipn0tic
Dec 11, 2012, 02:40 PM
You just don't get it/

Nor will you ever. Pretty sure your always going to be late to the party with everything

Hahaha. Such a hipster thing to say. How old are you?

I remember getting over trying to be "cool" after like 15.

SimonTheSoundMa
Dec 11, 2012, 05:02 PM
App crashes when I load a photo from my camera roll and uploads a black image when I take a photo with the camera. I'm not the only one if you read the reviews. How did this pass QA?

SONiC5
Dec 11, 2012, 06:28 PM
This update is terrible, they've done away with live filters and you can only view photos in your camera roll now, as someone with thousands of photos organized into folders, it truly sucks. They also changed the way the front-facing camera works, I hate that annoying photo flip thing.

I have to agree. It was a much better experience in 2011.

iapplelove
Dec 11, 2012, 10:06 PM
Hahaha. Such a hipster thing to say. How old are you?

I remember getting over trying to be "cool" after like 15.

Wow you really have no concept of reality and to you it's probably the cool thing to cool people hipsters lol.

2 years ago Instagram was like a small little community like a small forum if you will. Now it's nothing but spam and people probably like yourself just begging people to follow them. It's past it's prime and honestly only the people who were their from the beginning know what I'm talking about. You just missed the point over and over and over.

blue22
Dec 12, 2012, 11:00 AM
With all things being equal, I'd say the this new update is good overall. However there are a few dislikes I have regarding these areas:

1) Forced square cropping of the uploaded image - I know half of IG users will like this featuring helping to avoid the white (or black) frame borders if the image isn't a perfect square, but sometimes this is exactly what the user wants, and although I'm not one of them I still think they should've at least included the option for those people that still wanted to retain this effect.

2) No more access to your photo albums, just your camera roll - this is really annoying, there wasn't a good reason to drop the ability to select pictures from specific albums you created versus digging through the entire camera roll only, especially problematic if you have a ton of pics to sort through.

3) Removing Instagram photos from Twitter - This is only concerning because of the fact that Facebook now owes IG so I guess we can officially expect more of this proprietary behavior by the powers that be. *ugh*

And for the record, I have to agree with both iapplelove and GuitarDTO about the decline of the quality with the Instagram experience; plus the explosion of spam bots on it over the past 5 months has just been a nightmare.

Just my 2.

Shellbo6901
Dec 15, 2012, 11:15 PM
The forced cropping only SUCKS if you are trying to post a panorama ): of course sometimes on other photos you'd like to have a black edge, I can deal with it most of the time

sagar4995
Dec 16, 2012, 01:35 AM
2 years ago Instagram was like a small little community like a small forum if you will. Now it's nothing but spam and people probably like yourself just begging people to follow them. It's past it's prime and honestly only the people who were their from the beginning know what I'm talking about. You just missed the point over and over and over.

couldn't agree more. drive's me up the walls once i upload n tag a photo and 6outta the 8-9 likes i get within the first minute belong to a user with the prefix "getmorefollowers....". i must've reported and blocked 50+ of them!! within the next 2-3 mins i get a couple of comments telling me my pic is kickass, BUTTTTTT i should check out how the commentor has made some "mad dough" by clicking on some sjkfhnskdjfh.com :mad: