PDA

View Full Version : Booting an imac from macbook pro drive causes network setting loss

variable
Dec 10, 2012, 05:50 PM
Hi Folks,

So here's the setup:

27" iMac circa late 2010 I believe - quad core i7
17" Macbook Pro i7, early 2011 - has a 512gb SSD

What I'm doing is this, occasionally I want to sit in front of my imac that has a 30" screen attached to it, but 90% of the time, I use my macbook pro. In fact, I almost never use the iMac. I could do some sort of folder/file syncing, and a variety of other things, but I decided this would be simpler.

I put my macbook pro into target mode, throw it into a henge dock, and boot my imac off the firewire 800. This saves me syncing stuff, poking through library folders, creating aliases, etc and is significantly faster than the iMac would normally run since its booting from the SSD. (leaps and bounds really).

For the most part, this works great. However, every time I boot either the imac, or the macbook pro after having been in this setup, I loose all my VPN connections and the share name of the computer becomes blank. Also iMessage complains about being loaded on a "new" computer.

I've considered writing a script to automatically set the share name on boot, but that really only solves part of the problem. Realizing this is sort of a fringe case, I'm fairly certain apple would tilt their heads quizzically and go 'huh?'

Any ideas?