PDA

View Full Version : imac>emac data xfer?

campbell23
Sep 21, 2005, 09:50 AM
I need to transfer data from an old imac G3/333 to a new emac. Is there a cable to make this less painful? If so, how is it accomplished? If not, how do I do it? Thank you.

ibilly
Sep 21, 2005, 11:17 AM
I'd pay somebody to do it. The ways you could do it yourself are:

ethernet to the new compy
removeable media over USB (or a seperate USB HD)
buy a firewire upgrade card (if you can find one)
buy an external HD enclosure and take the HD out, connect it to the new computer, and grab your files

The last one will probably be just about as expensive as paying somebody, and that's probably what they'll do anyways. Besides, the iMac's ethernet and usb are both really slow, even when you're dealing with as few as 4 GB

ibidiem
Sep 21, 2005, 11:24 AM
I had the same situation going when I upgraded to my new ibook. I tried the ethernet, but couldn't get it to work... so I just used our digital camera as an external hd (using usb) and transfered the files in chunks (took 'bout half an hour). If you do do something like this -- even using a jump drive (which aren't too expensive now adays, for just a 128mb) -- be careful to make sure you don't miss anything -- if you have to, don't hessitate to make a list and check it twice.

Surprizingly, the imac (333) was a bit faster than my ibook (1.33) in dealing with the camera.

Macky-Mac
Sep 21, 2005, 03:56 PM
you can do it with an ethernet cable......costs around $10 if you don't have one

a friend did this to transfer his data from an older powerbook to his new ibook so I can say I've seen it done successfully......it did take a little bit of fussing to get the settings correct but it worked fine in the end

he was using OS 8.1 on the old powerbook and OS 10.4.2 on the new ibook.....you didnt say what your imac is running but assuming it's not using OS 10, you'll need to set up in a similar way to what he had to do

Apple Support told him to get a crossover cable which we got at Radio Shack for about $10....then turn on file sharing on both machines, make sure appletalk is activated, make sure the old imac is set to communicate with ethernet instead of the modem.......seems like we had to restart the powerbook too if I'm remembering (it was a month or so ago)

one very important thing.......once you're set up, you'll have to work from the old imac....assuming it's not running OS X.....when he would try working from the new ibook he always got an error message that said "connection failed", but working from the powerbook using OS 8.1 he could go to the chooser and connect to the ibook.......then it was a simple matter of copying the files into the drop box under his user name

and the data was successfully transferred!!